Michelle Kwan | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Woah, 1993?! When she was... 12? Man... Thanks, Mathman, for these updates.

Even now, I still winced a little when I saw that Twitter background of Olympic champions. A few people there that are about half the skater Michelle is, yet they belong to that group while she does not... But the cover says it all. Already drawing attention at twelve, and staying top of the world for over a decade afterwards. I wouldn't trade her journey, her story, or her performances for anyone else's.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^While I'm not a D/W fan (was rooting for V/M to repeat, though that was nigh impossible knowing the scores of the past few seasons), I'm happy to see them on the list. They're certainly not who I'm referring to with the "people that are half the skater Michelle is." Their Sochi free skate was excellent.

Mr. Ma actually had an extra reason for dropping by the Pell's house, besides catching up with old friend Michelle. He is leading a campaign to convince lawmakers and educators to expand the STEM curriculum in schools (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) to STEAM. The extra "A" stands for the Arts. Michelle's husband, Clay Pell, who is running for governor of Rhode Island, is a big supporter -- and he would like to throw in an L somewhere for Languages.

By the way, the suit of armor shorn in the picture is an heirloom acquired by Pell's great grandfather, Herbert Claiborne Pell Jr. (Clay is Herbert Claiborne Pell IV.) Jr. served as ambassador to Portugal and Hungary and was a lonely voice in Congress against the mood of isolationism in the U..S. leading up to World War II. He also served as head of the war crimes commission after the war.

Last edited:
Michelle takes a day off from ringing doorbells for her hubby and flies to Washington to take part in the Special Olympics celebration. (She has served on the Special Olympic international board of directors since 2010.) You can watch President Obama's address live here later tonight (watch for a glimpse of Michelle :) )

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

Edited to add: Here is Michelle at the dinner, pictured with basketball player Dikembe Mutombo. (I think the other lady is Mr. Mutombo's wife, Rose.) Do you lie Michelle's dress? :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt6RcuAIcAEqap1.jpg

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Shep Goldberg passed away this week. He was IMO a great sports agent and manager for Michelle. Tom Collins who knew Shep well said Shep was a very tough negotiator and was totally devoted to his athletes. I think he must have given Michelle and the Kwan family wonderful advice...which they wisely followed. Thinking back about some other top figure skaters who ended up changing agents several times and apparently not receiving the best advice and missing opportunities, I am so glad Michelle had Shep on her side.

I feel bad for Jason Brown who just switched this spring to Shep. He would have been a wonderful agent to guide Jason in the coming years. I hope there will be someone out there that can help and care for Jason the way Shep helped Michelle.

The Michelle Kwan forum is temporarily down. If any "refugees" would like to to post Michelle news here, you are very welcome.

About the passing of Mr. Goldberg, these two links were posted today by golden411 in the thread on Mr. Goldberg in the Edge.

golden411 said: