Max Aaron | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A couple of new-to-me post-SLC quotes from Max are within Skate Today's write-up (Sep 22) of the event (emphases added):

Max Aaron (USA) won his third consecutive Classic gold medal.

Max reflected on the occasion. “It means more this year. I was in the position to defend my US title (in Boston) and wasn’t able to do it. I’m learning how to defend a title here. Hopefully this will help me out next time, and there will be no mistakes that cost me the Olympic team.”

Over the summer, the Colorado trained athlete changed his work out regime and food selections. “The body needs to show lines – less bulk,” he said.

On ice, Team Aaron worked on jumps – more highlighting / less telegraphing and transitions. The SLC competition will test the fruit of his labor.

The short program, “Footloose”, was choreographed by Mark Pillay. “We let him pick the music and do his thing, I want people dancing in the stands and enjoying themselves.” smiled the skater.

Aaron’s gorgeous 3A earned 11.35 points, but a hand down on the quad and a collapse on the step sequence spin, produced negative GOE marks. “I got all turned around on the step ending. I do a bunch of arm and head movements, and I got caught between them.”

In the free Skate, the 2013 US champion assumed the role of the Gladiator and used his jumping strengths to maneuver through the powerful music. The two quads and two combinations (3A+2T, 3T+1Lo+3S) contributed to over half his element marks.

Aaron evaluated his performance. “My main goal here was about components and transitions. Then I took another silly fall. I need to work on my mental game.” He earned a 240.22 total score. Max Aaron next competes at Skate Canada.

Source:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Over the summer, the Colorado trained athlete changed his work out regime and food selections. “The body needs to show lines – less bulk,” he said.

Max, you look fine. More than fine in that Gladiator costume.

His hyper-perfectionism is starting to scare me a little.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sounds like people do rag him for not having the traditional balletic lines (the long limbs, the carriage, ect.). Or maybe I'm oversensitive to the topic right now thanks to the tragic Antipova situation and certain comments on Liza's threads. (Of course, if Max wants more lines and less bulk for himself, that's totally fine by me).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Max looks perfectly fine wight now. He doesn't need to change his looks.m

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Other good Robin Ritoss shots of Max at the SLC Classic are in Skate Today's album posted Oct 4:

Skate Today's complete SLC album of approx. 110 photos:

Max, you look fine. More than fine in that Gladiator costume.

His hyper-perfectionism is starting to scare me a little.

... if Max wants more lines and less bulk for himself, that's totally fine by me ....

:agree: Agree with Sandpiper. Fine by me too, as long as less visible muscularity does not reduce Max's superb fitness.

His summer efforts to improve his lines presumably already were enhancing how Max looked in his Gladiator costume in SLC. ;)

I would say that he has the mentality of a champion who leaves no stone unturned.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy Halloween (to Peter Pan, maybe???) ... and go get 'em in Kelowna, Max! :yay:

@MaddieAaron25
Thought this was an appropriate throwback! #Halloween #tbt @MaxTAaron
10:05 PM - 30 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/MaddieAaron25/status/528004892766400512 (photo attached)​

Best to Maddie and Max S. at SCI too :yay: ... and HH to Molly and all. :)

ETA:

The Aarons were great at celebrating Halloween, it seems. Here is another throwback photo of the Aarons when a little older and in another set of costumes:

Larger version of Max from the same photo:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Comments from Max are included in the Men's FS presser at Skate Canada International:

Moving/gathering other SCI stuff into this post:

Photo of Max at practice session at Skate Canada International.

Photo of Max in SP Kiss and Cry at SCI.
http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/100240738?image_id=9 (photo #9 in the same gallery above)​

Max is headed onward and upward after his bronze. :)

Chummy off-ice photo of Max and Fernandez:

The top three men with their medals:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Max's Gladiator FS:

I learned something new from the NBC coverage of Skate Canada International:
Gladiator was Max's music for a previous FS years ago.​

NBC put a question to rest that had been lurking in the back of my mind: I had never really understood why "returning to his roots" was in the title of Nick McCarvel's IN article in July that revealed Max's music choices for this season. The only explanation was a rather abstract quote from Max.
"For me, it's going back to where I started, which is why I picked Gladiator."
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014...prepares-for-battle-by-returning-to-his-roots

NBC :yes: gave the more concrete explanation that McCarvel's article had not provided :no:.

Max's IN bio says his previous Gladiator FS was in 2006-7. (Although Max's own website says 2007-8, I think the webmaster for Max's site forgot :eek:hwell: that he missed a season b/c of his broken back.)

TMC

Record Breaker
What struck me most at SC was the improvement Max has made in his spins - did anybody else think so? They seemed twice as fast as before!

I really love both his programs this season, especially the long.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For karne and others on hair watch ;):

Another sighting of Max looking "just out of the shower" -- at the airport (I believe) with Maddie:
Not a criticism, but I almost would not have recognized him :think:.

Handsome Max has similar hair and a great smile in a photo (at the banquet??) with @courtneynhicks that is part of her montage from Skate Canada International.

This SCI photo captures how his curls suit his SP well, IMO:

ICYMI, another SP photo that makes a pretty good case for Max's curls, IMO:

ETA:

Cool photo from Max's solo at the gala:
http://instagram.com/p/u9XgnqGZmf/ (posted on Nov 3 by @lexiejovanovski)​

Max getting into the bandana spirit for the group number at the end of the gala (while leaving the wigs to his friend Liam and other guys):

What struck me most at SC was the improvement Max has made in his spins - did anybody else think so? They seemed twice as fast as before!

I really love both his programs this season, especially the long.

I was happy to see that Max's closing Gladiator spin was the element that Skate Canada chose to represent him in an official Kelowna highlights reel.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x296m3i_sci-a-week-of-champions_sport (2:06 total length; Max's spin at approx. 1:15)​

Full disclosure: the video's highlights of Mura and Fernandez were jumps, so possible that Max's spin was selected partly for variety. But I still welcome the recognition that Max has something to offer other than jumps.

IIRC, the same thing happened at the end of the NBC broadcast of Skate Canada. Max's closing Gladiator spin was replayed at two different times after the Ladies free skates.

ETA, Max's post-SP hug with Coach Tom Z was in the SCI Day One highlights montage:

ETA, Max and Mura had fun together at practice for the SCI gala, per Beverley Smith ‏@BevSmithWrites (as posted in The Edge). Unfortunately, no photos were attached to her tweets.

Max Aaron and Takahito Mura doing duelling quads in exhibition practice. Language no barrier to respect. #SCI14
10:24 AM - 2 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/BevSmithWrites/status/528975887493259264

@BevSmithWrites And they are high-fiving each other. Wonderful to see.
11:14 AM - 2 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/BevSmithWrites/status/528988507843608576

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
IMO, his spins are improving, quite a lot. That flying camel does need a bit more control, but it will come.

The hair did make for a particularly epic hair flip in the ex :love: I think they should include some hair-ography in Footloose :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Max's Gladiator costume: A good behind-the-scenes anecdote from the SLC Classic is in on p. 33 of the November issue of Skating magazine. Cannot be copied and pasted, but the gist from Mimi Whetstone is:

"The seamstress delivered his costume to the arena two hours before he skated," Aaron's mother, Mindy, explained.
"She's based here in Salt Lake, but she was working on all the costumes for the pairs teams, too.
Leading up to the event, Max told her to concentrate on the pairs costumes -- get those taken care of, and he'd just pick his up when we got to Utah."

But the completion of Aaron's ensemble, which was painted completely by hand, took longer than expected.
"I kid you not, she had helpers trying to dry the paint with hair dryers this afternoon," Mindy said.
In the end, the costume was delivered to the arena, dry and ready to go, at the start of the ladies short program, and Aaron's free skate commenced without a hitch.

And for those (like me ;)) who hadn't known the back-story to Tom Z's pushups in the SLC Kiss and Cry, Michael Terry's elucidation is on p. 32:
Aaron's coach Tom Zakrajsek told the 2013 U.S. champion that if he scored more than 160 points in the free skate, he'd do 20 pushups.
Aaron's score of 161.26 ensured that Zakrajsek had some work to do.
"He needs to stay in shape so it was good," Aaron said with a laugh. "It also was pretty funny."
A man of his word, Zakrajsek honored his promise immediately after Aaron's score was announced in the kiss and cry.

A little eye candy:
I like the photo of Max as one of the models of USFS apparel in the ad on p. 30.​

The link to the full November issue:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He told her to work on everyone else's costumes first? What a sweetheart! :love:

Not sure when this was taken, but posted to Max's fan Facebook page today. Oh my. :love:

Did someone say studly? Ditto on the Oh, my. :agree:

My guess is that Max was turning heads at the Skate Canada International banquet.

His snazzy suit and hair look the same as in a photo with @courtneynhicks that she included in her SCI montage. :yes:

(And yes :yes:, his selflessness re the costumes is not surprising, but very sweet.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Coach Z taking a sneaky mid-air tweet...

In flight tweet over the Atlantic Ocean. @MaxTAaron resting comfortably. Onward to Russia. @USFigureSkating #skynet

And yes, it came with a picture.

I am exceedingly envious. The ability to sleep on a plane is not something I have ever possessed.

Is he frowning in his sleep? :cry:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coach Z taking a sneaky mid-air tweet...

And yes, it came with a picture.

... Is he frowning in his sleep? :cry:

Nice that Max got a bulkhead seat. :cool:
A little extra leg room for him, I hope.

My eyes do not detect a frown, but I can imagine Max thinking, "If I keep my body perfectly still and completely ignore my coach, maybe he will go away and let me nap in peace." ;)