Max Aaron | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nice that Max got a bulkhead seat. :cool:
A little extra leg room for him, I hope.

My eyes do not detect a frown, but I can imagine Max thinking, "If I keep my body perfectly still and completely ignore my coach, maybe he will go away and let me nap in peace." ;)

I can't imagine a 5'6" young man needing extra legroom, but the athlete part makes me think that's a good idea. ;)

My father always has to get bulkhead or exit row whenever he flies. He's 6'6" and passed his long legs on to all four children - though I am the only one that can fly comfortably in other rows (I like the back row).

:laugh: I like this conclusion. Yes, I will imagine that too!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I can't imagine a 5'6" young man needing extra legroom, but the athlete part makes me think that's a good idea. ;) ...

All I know is that I'm barely 5' 2" -- and extra legroom makes flying more comfortable for me. :yes:

(And unfortunately I am not an athlete ... not even on the most amateur level.)

p.s. I thought Max was more like 5' 7," not that it matters for this discussion. ;)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All I know is that I'm barely 5' 2" -- and extra legroom makes flying more comfortable for me. :yes:

(And unfortunately I am not an athlete ... not even on the most amateur level.)

p.s. I thought Max was more like 5' 7," not that it matters for this discussion. ;)

Oh, I am very jealous. It must be nice to be plane-sized, so that even if you don't get the extra legroom it's not a problem. But I totally get wanting to stretch out. Knowing Max's zany work ethic, I bet at some point during the flight he was doing pilates or yoga in that extra space...

5'7" in his skates.... ;) Good things come in small packages!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Class photo (off ice) of Max and all of Team USA looking good at Rostelecom Cup's opening reception:

ETA, Max always looks up to his buddy Simon Shnapir. ;)
http://instagram.com/p/vWPivfm4c4/ (Nov 13, posted by @mick_brezina)​

ETA, Max, Jason, and others waiting to take the ice for Thursday practice.

ETA, photo from @j3r3bear
Post short program #Dinner with @Mikibear8 @Maxtaaron and Taka! So glad that's done. #CoR2014 #GrandPrix #FigureSkating #Moscow #Russia
http://instagram.com/p/vZKwI7KBBu/ (Nov 14)​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am proud of him. He could have easily dropped the shoulders and rolled over and died after popping both quads. But he didn't, he fought it out and landed everything else.

:agree: Well said, karne. I too am proud of Max. #KeepingTheFaith

Some freeze-frames of our noble Gladiator:

ETA, happy to see this photo of balletic Max and other skaters reveling in the sights of Moscow.

ETA,

The State of the U.S. Men thread has lots more pics of Max with his sightseeing gang in Moscow -- in front of St. Basil's and in front of the Bolshoi.

Photo of Max's Footloose at Rostelecom:

Photo of Max and Tom Z in the post-FS Kiss and Cry at Rostelecom:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max has the qualities of Baryshnikov :), according to a former teacher of David Santee.

It was one of several terrific compliments from Will Grendahl, who performed with the Ice Follies and Ice Capades in the '60s and '70s.
Grendhahl posted his comments last month on the official FB page for Max fans, but I just now came across them there:

November 19 ·
Your style this year is there. It's right. The improvement you've made in that area of your skating is excellent. Don't believe otherwise. .... Stay healthy, keep getting better and whatever your skating goal is you've got it.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=963441953670396&id=593337267347535

November 20 at 9:40am ·
There’s no debate: Max Aaron has artistry and style in contemporary competitive figure skating. You’re unique, however in watching your skating on media outlets you have the qualities of Mikhail Baryshnikov who, in his dancing prime, was one of the best male ballet dancers of all time. Your skating looks like you’ve had some ballet training. Figure skating at its best has the line and style of ballet combined with flowing speed. A speed that simply comes from a perfect lean to an edge. Phil Romayne, my principal coach during my Ice Capades years said “simplicity is beauty.” Keep it smooth, look at the audience, sell it with a smile if you’re so inclined…I taught David Santee in several of his early years. David left figure skating a better sport. I look forward to more inspiration from watching you get better and better and better…Max, you’ve got it! Best, Will Grendahl
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=964170320264226&id=593337267347535

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA, Happy 200,000th Birthhour to Max. :hb:

@FunnyTimeEvents
19 déc.: Max Aaron @MaxTAaron, American figure skater, was born 200 thousand hours ago (on 25 Feb 1992)
9:01 AM - 19 Dec 2014
https://twitter.com/FunnyTimeEvents/status/545987265693220864

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very hard to tell, golden! I can't tell for sure.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Great photos of Max Aaron and Max Settlage are in the article below:

Top skaters, singer Miguel Dakota entertain families, fans at The Broadmoor World Arena
By Joe Paisley
Updated: December 23, 2014 at 9:43 pm
http://gazette.com/top-skaters-sing...rld-arena/article/1543590#yirxZcDc1SmitT4X.99

Maddie Aaron, Nagasu, and Scimeca/Knierim also participated in the event.

(via @Worlds2016 and via @Hungryseagull)

ETA:

Max A + Maddie/Max S + the singer in another photo of the event:

And later Max A tweeted and Instagrammed the same photo:
Had a great time participating in last night's Empty Stocking Fundraiser at the Colorado Springs world arena!
http://instagram.com/p/xAv9A-o2Ic/ (Dec 24)
https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron/status/547930823807500289 (Dec 24)​

"Five Ice-Skating Tips from US Figure-Skating Champion Max Aaron" were posted yesterday -- on Groupon, of all sites :scratch:.

I didn't know that Groupon published articles. Purposely not including the link here b/c of Groupon's commercial agenda in general -- although the article re Max seems completely unconnected to any Groupon offer. The article is by Sarah Gorr, in case anyone wants to look it up and her name will help.

(via @WashingtonFSC)

Very hard to tell, golden! I can't tell for sure.

Thx for replying, karne.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Edea Skates added 3 new photos.
December 21, 2014 at 11:00pm ·
What are you hoping to get for ‪#‎Christmas‬ ?
Max Aaron SAYS:
I don't celebrate Christmas but the best present I can ask for is to be with my family. I love and cherish all the moments I can with my family.

https://www.facebook.com/EdeaSkates/posts/474846205989491

(The photos are not new, but Max's sentiments are sweet enough to post at this late date.)

I trust his parents will be at Nats ... Molly too, I hope. :)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Random unrelated throwback items (new to me):

(1) The Ice Man
Author: Amanda Kippert
Issue: Feb 2014
http://www.phoenixmag.com/People/the-ice-man.html

An old profile of Max as Sochi hopeful, but a good read with a wealth of notable bits (selected examples below). I had never come across the print version (IIRC, a link to some audio of this interview is much earlier in this thread).

.... At the age of 3, he took up hockey and, at 4, speed skating. How fast can a 4-year-old go? "Oh, I can't even tell you," Aaron says. "I was all over the place. I couldn't be controlled."
His mom, Mindy, backs up that claim. "He walked at 8 months and rode a bike with training wheels at 18 months. I knew he was going to do something athletic." ....

.... Figure skating held both the same speed factor as hockey and the same risk of violent tooth loss, two things that appealed to his young-boy self. For the record, he retains all his original teeth, but he points out, "You can still fall head-first into the ice. I've hit my head a couple of times. You just shake it off." ....

.... He fractured his back. He was both playing hockey and figure skating at the time, so he can't pinpoint which sport was to blame. ... He spent four months in a body cast and another four months in physical therapy. However, he is quick to dispel the Wikipedia claim that he then spent seven months in a mental hospital. "It says that?" he asks with a laugh. "No. No mental hospital." ....

.... "I've always had this constant, competitive drive. Everything was a competition," Aaron says. "It's a big part of figure skating but it's a great life skill, too. I want to be number one. Always." ....

.... He ignores his critics and says he uses negative comments – both about himself and the sport in general – to make him stronger. "I have many critics that make fun of me and put me down," Aaron says, explaining that while most male figure skaters are artistic, he's been called a "hockey player on ice" and his style has been described as "rough."
"I used to take it to heart and then I realized that they're making fun of you because you're important," Aaron says. He hopes to one day parlay his experiences into motivational speaking to inspire others, including kids who are being bullied.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(2) Max was one of the skaters who joined Christina Gao for a performance of her Gangnam Style exhibition :dance: in 2013 :. Photo:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
.... At the age of 3, he took up hockey and, at 4, speed skating. How fast can a 4-year-old go? "Oh, I can't even tell you," Aaron says. "I was all over the place. I couldn't be controlled."
His mom, Mindy, backs up that claim. "He walked at 8 months and rode a bike with training wheels at 18 months. I knew he was going to do something athletic." ....

I can picture this in my head. Yep. It sounds right.

.... Figure skating held both the same speed factor as hockey and the same risk of violent tooth loss, two things that appealed to his young-boy self. For the record, he retains all his original teeth, but he points out, "You can still fall head-first into the ice. I've hit my head a couple of times. You just shake it off." ....

*facepalm*

However, he is quick to dispel the Wikipedia claim that he then spent seven months in a mental hospital. "It says that?" he asks with a laugh. "No. No mental hospital." ....

Wikipedia hack alert! (Does this mean he's ~made it~? Because someone hacked his Wiki page?)

.... "I've always had this constant, competitive drive. Everything was a competition," Aaron says. "It's a big part of figure skating but it's a great life skill, too. I want to be number one. Always." ....

:)

.... He ignores his critics and says he uses negative comments – both about himself and the sport in general – to make him stronger. "I have many critics that make fun of me and put me down," Aaron says, explaining that while most male figure skaters are artistic, he's been called a "hockey player on ice" and his style has been described as "rough."

You tell those haters to keep on hatin', Max.

Mark Webber uttered a famous line when he won his first F1 race - at his 130th start, the longest wait ever - and it went something like this: "And to everyone who doubted me, hello to them as well."

"I used to take it to heart and then I realized that they're making fun of you because you're important," Aaron says. He hopes to one day parlay his experiences into motivational speaking to inspire others, including kids who are being bullied.....[/I][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

*adds "motivational speaker" to the long list of things Max wants to do post-skating*

When he did his Ask Me Anything on reddit, he denied that he'd ever been bullied for his skating as a kid in school, but reading between the lines of this interview, I think he probably was.

Also, I notice that this article has given him a growth spurt - 5'8"!

Thanks for the great find, golden! I'd never seen this before!