Max Aaron

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Instagram still photo from usfigureskating this morning at Skate America practice:
Max Aaron mid-quad Sal during practice. #SA2013
http://instagram.com/p/fnPp7qm30w/ (Oct 18)​

Another mid-jump photo:

The height of the jump(s) looks great. :)

And @michlmint has been tweeting many more pics (of all men) from Friday practice. Two additional examples of Max:

ETA:

Still photo of Max being interviewed by @taralipinski, whose caption is:
Game day! Good Luck @maxtaaron
http://instagram.com/p/fnkM8ssomX/ (posted Oct 18)​

Lipinski's behind-the-scenes video for the local NBC station, including a very brief shot of Max in the warm-up area:

#2013SkateAmerica

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@ZachTDonohue
Starting off a great day the right way. Bfast with @MaiaShibutani & @MaxTAaron
7:04 AM - 19 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/ZachTDonohue/statuses/391565483264475136

The right way indeed. :agree: Wishing a really great day to three of USA's most congenial skaters.
I recall a past reference from Hubbell that Max is one of H/D's "besties," and I hope that Skate America is a good opportunity for Max to enjoy face time with old friends, as well as to compete.

This is a great thread...thanks for all the awesome information, pix and links! :agree:

dardar, I have to compliment you over here at GS, because I am not a member of FSU (although I am a visitor). I have seen that your support for Max there and on social media is off the charts. As we know from his shout-out to you on Twitter, such outstanding loyalty is gratifying to him during the ups and downs of training and competition.
Keeping the faith -- along with you, I'm sure -- that Max is absolutely capable of coming back strong tonight with a clean free skate. It ain't over 'til it's over.

#2013SkateAmerica

dardar1126

On the Ice
dardar, I have to compliment you over here at GS, because I am not a member of FSU (although I am a visitor). I have seen that your support for Max there and on social media is off the charts. As we know from his shout-out to you on Twitter, such outstanding loyalty is gratifying to him during the ups and downs of training and competition.

Keeping the faith -- along with you, I'm sure -- that Max is absolutely capable of coming back strong tonight with a clean free skate. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Thank you! :)

Max has proven time and time again that he can take the hits and misses, and come back stronger than ever! :rock: Each obstacle is just a learning experience...face it, learn from it, and live to fight another day.

He's not used to coming into a competition as a front-runner or favorite; there's a lot more pressure now. But he's young, and he'll grow stronger with each new day. :yes:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Okay whats the british commentators saying her at 5:04?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69xOxAJQr8 That hes been geting a lot of mail from different people? she means by that?

I too am curious what the bkgd and context for this commentary were.
The only thing that comes to my mind is Max's interview with TSL, but it took place several months ago, so it seems very possible/likely that the commentary was referring to something else more recent.

(During the TSL interview, Max happily discussed his choice of Carmen for his FS. Although he was well aware of naysayers who -- via e-mail, social media, etc. -- expressed their criticism that Carmen was a big mistake for him, Max cheerfully explained why he feels good about his program -- including the specific music cuts from Carmen, Lori Nichol's choreo, etc.)

In any case, thx to SaraM for a good excuse to watch Max's FS again. ;)

#2013SkateAmerica

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@USFigureSkating
.@MaxTAaron will be featured on premiere episode of @universalsports Countdown to Sochi. Preview of tonight's show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy_gHzPxtqU
7:12 AM - 30 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/395553802532577280

Note: the preview video at the YouTube link does not focus on Aaron. It's a montage of a lot of winter athletes.​

Air time is 8 pm ET.

As mentioned elsewhere, a version of the studio interview video (with Jenny Cavnar) already lives on the Universal Sports site.

I hope that Nick Gismondi's field piece with Max in training mode also will air and get posted online. (The one shown in the arena at Skate America, per the webmaster for Max's public Facebook page.)

#SochiHopeful

#2013SkateAmerica

Marisha92

Rinkside
I went to the Broadmoor skating rink on Friday and watched Max practice- it was great! After he was done, I actually got enough courage to speak to him and had my picture taken with him. He was so nice and friendly, even though I was a nervous wreck and he probably thought I was a weird fan lady. He was genuinely pleased when I told him that I liked his interview on Universal Sports. Not only is he a fantastic skater but a very nice person, also. His parents certainly raised him right!

I've been a skating fan for decades, attended 4 World Championships, 2 Nationals, a Grand Prix final and numerous smaller events and Max is certainly one of the nicest skaters that I've talked to. Go for Gold in Sochi!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I went to the Broadmoor skating rink on Friday and watched Max practice- it was great! After he was done, I actually got enough courage to speak to him and had my picture taken with him. He was so nice and friendly, even though I was a nervous wreck and he probably thought I was a weird fan lady. He was genuinely pleased when I told him that I liked his interview on Universal Sports. Not only is he a fantastic skater but a very nice person, also. His parents certainly raised him right!

I've been a skating fan for decades, attended 4 World Championships, 2 Nationals, a Grand Prix final and numerous smaller events and Max is certainly one of the nicest skaters that I've talked to. Go for Gold in Sochi!

Marisha, I think Max would be tickled and honored to know also that after your extensive history with skating, it was meeting him that prompted your very first post on GoldenSkate. ;) You must tell him next time. (I really hope that he and you will have a next time.)

Enjoyed reading your confirmation that Max is as nice in person as he seems from afar. Many thanks for sharing your observations. :)
I have admired Max as much for his sweetness as a human being as for his toughness as a competitor, and I often have the same thought that his parents :bow: clearly brought him up right.
One of my favorite anecdotes was a comment (maybe on reddit?) from the appreciative mother or friend of a skater at a rink where a still-little-known Max was competing in a smaller event. The young girl was outside crying about something (the comment did not specify what), and Max took it upon himself to go over to see whether he could offer any comfort. Gotta love a guy who demonstrates that kind of exceptional concern for others. :yes:

Marisha92

Rinkside
Welcome to Golden Skate, Marisha92!

Thank you! I hope to post more observations from the Broadmoor skating rink, since I live so close now. The last time I was really thrilled by a skater, it was in 1994 with Misha Shmerkin, who proudly represented Israel for the first time in the winter Olympics- that was before the Internet became popular and skating boards were created!
Marina

lcd

Match Penalty
Thank you! I hope to post more observations from the Broadmoor skating rink, since I live so close now. The last time I was really thrilled by a skater, it was in 1994 with Misha Shmerkin, who proudly represented Israel for the first time in the winter Olympics- that was before the Internet became popular and skating boards were created!
Marina

The Broadmoor club hosts "shows" almost every Friday night, which are meant to be like training exhibitions of their programs. Let us know if you get to enjoy some of these!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Marina

Ooooooh, have fun at the World Arena! (Don't faint over anybody!)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron and Gracie Gold apparently were on TBS tonight (Nov 6) with comedian Pete Holmes.
@PeteHolmesShow had tweeted this "sneak peek" YT video (3:45). (ETA: Seems that the vid is the entirety of the segment that aired with the skaters. I think the "sneak peek" description means that it is a sneak peek at the entire episode of the show.)

Pete Skates With And Casually Threatens Gracie Gold & Max Aaron
Published on Nov 6, 2013
Sneak Peek: Olympic hopefuls Gracie Gold and Max Aaron teach Pete to ice skate, and Pete returns the favor by threatening to murder them. Watch "The Pete Holmes Show" weeknights at midnight, after Conan on TBS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SuHhiI4vM

Tip o' the hat to fenway2 for her/his post on FSU that mentioned Max's appearance.

BTW, a few weeks ago, many skaters made separate mentions of tapings with Holmes at the USOC media summit, so presumably more skating stuff will be coming up on his air.

ETA:

IMHO, Max saves this segment by playing along with and enjoying the comedic schtick without displaying excessively cheesy hamminess that becomes intolerable. Wish I could say the same for the other two :eek:hwell:.

Caveat: In the video, Holmes (but not the skaters) uses crude language freely. Not all of it is bleeped out.

#SochiHopeful

#2013SeptemberUSOCmediasummit

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Video of Skate for Hope 10th Anniversary - posted 11/13/13

- An IN subscription is NOT necessary to view the hour-long vid of this summer show. I have not had a chance to watch it yet, but ....
- IIRC from still photos of the event, Max performed some ice dancing with Piper Gilles as well as some pairs skating with Ashley Wagner -- in addition to the group numbers and his singles skating, I assume.

ETA, starting at approx 00:45:00, Max is in full showman mode ;) :) for his singles ex.​

ETA, this shorter promo vid for the Skate for Hope cause does show a momentary glimpse of Max performing a lift with Ashley. :cool:
http://vimeo.com/72192259 (5:44 in total length)​

#Throwbacks

#2013SkateForHope

IN photos from NHK:

- Max mid-spin during his SP.

- Max with Coach Tom Z in the kiss and cry post-SP.

(No Max FS photos on IN, AFAIK.)​

#2013NHKtrophy

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron's 2013 Midwestern Sectionals Free Skate

ETA (in July 2017):
Lest anyone be confused by nomenclature, "2013" Midwestern Sectionals took place in Nov 2012 in Ohio.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68388/results.html

#Throwbacks

#2013MidwesternSectionals

#WestSideStory

@USFigureSkating tweeted the vid to promote this year's Sectionals, which are taking place this week.

Speaking of which ... best to Maddie Aaron/Max Settlage, who are competing in Junior Pairs at Midwestern Sectionals.

SP Nov 20 9:35 PM
FS Nov 21 9:05 PM​

ETA, congratulations to Maddie/Max, who won the Junior Pairs SP and FS: 56.38 + 101.62 = 158.00. :yay:

#MaddieAaron