Max Aaron | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Professor :) SnuggleBat has given a tutorial for the edeaskates YouTube channel:

Laacing [sic] properly Edea boots - Max Aaron's tips
Published on Jun 27, 2016
https://youtu.be/BQfNB_2ZI0c (2:43)​

Among other things, Max says (I'm paraphrasing) that b/c of proper lacing technique, he typically changes boots only every two to three years ... and his previous pair of boots lasted for four years.​

Can't help wondering whether Max just likes that hat, which was seen also in two recent photos.
(My wishful thinking is that The North Face is sponsoring him??? Or at least giving him free stuff??)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHIPrPeDh7w/ (Jun 26) at the lake with Ashley Wagner, et al.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHA05fTitKi/ (Jun 23) at the Aerial Challenge autograph session​

BTW, the photo of Max (sans hat ;)) with Ashley and Madi Chock at the wedding for #AlexaChrisForever:

Max gave out the medals for the jump event on Thursday night. He was cute as usual. But it was nice to see him out there getting to do an honored role.

:ghug: for our dear Max, who so bravely took on the jump competition while recovering from his hernia surgery. ...

I should have replied earlier and added a bookmark for :bmrk: 2016 AERIAL CHALLENGE :bmrk:.

:agree: Ditto re the :ghug: for Max.

And happy to hear that he gave the awards to the Broadmoor jump medalists :cool:.
Wish I had been paying attention to the livestream then, but even just the thought of this role pleases me.

Hope I will get around to gathering some Aerial Challenge stuff for this thread for posterity.

For now, here is the link to the 2016 Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge thread:

Although we know now that Max placed second, it was sweet that on Jun 24, Dornbush had sent a bromantic good-luck wish/photo to him:

The IN recap article re Aerial Challenge:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Professor :) SnuggleBat has given a tutorial for the edeaskates YouTube channel:

Laacing [sic] properly Edea boots - Max Aaron's tips
Published on Jun 27, 2016
https://youtu.be/BQfNB_2ZI0c (2:43)​

Among other things, Max says (I'm paraphrasing) that b/c of proper lacing technique, he typically changes boots only every two to three years ... and his previous pair of boots lasted for four years.​

This video killed karne in so many ways :drama:

Primarily though my thoughts went like this:
- he's so cute
- OMG TWO TO THREE YEARS
- OMG FOUR YEARS?!?????
- *starts mentally adding up the number of quads he'd be doing in practice in those*
- *dies*
- oh look he does his hooks in the reverse way
- karne only reverses the top hook, maybe I should try this (not edeas of course)
- HOLY PLUSHENCHRIST HE HAS THEM LOOSE AT THE TOP
- *dies*
- aww he's so cute

So much of this video had me :eekn:

musicfan80

Medalist
Wow. I would have thought Max would get either Skate America or Skate Canada. He is our #2 skater in the U.S., right?

I'm not an expert on handling international travel (the trips I've taken has been to one country or continent in a relaxed amount of time), but isn't it INSANE that Max is going from the U.S. to Russia back to the U.S. and then two weeks later from U.S. to China and back? Am I wrong to think that is a hosed deal?

musicfan80

Medalist
Wow. I would have thought Max would get either Skate America or Skate Canada. He is our #2 skater in the U.S, right?

I'm not an expert on handling international travel (the trips I've taken has been to one country or continent in a relaxed amount of time), but isn't it INSANE that Max is going from the U.S. to Russia back to the U.S. and then two weeks later from U.S. to China and back? Am I wrong to think that is a hosed deal?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow. I would have thought Max would get either Skate America or Skate Canada. He is our #2 skater in the U.S., right?

My two cents:

As was much discussed before today, a good case could be made for USFS to pick Adam for Skate America. And/or Max. And/or Jason.
But I do not think a good case could be made for USFS to pick all three.

And USFS does not have control over assignments to the other GPs.
Skate Canada selects the roster for Skate Canada International.

So Max's assignments just are what they are.

And now that Team Max knows what they are, I'm sure they will be thinking hard about what will work best for his travel/training.
Maybe/maybe/maybe they will decide that he should train overseas during the period between Rostelecom and Cup of China??? Accompanied by Phillip Mills or Becky Calvin, for example???​

BTW, fun fact: after Cup of China, Max will have competed in all six of the GPs.
Look forward to cheering for him in the new season :yay:.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My two cents:

And now that Team Max knows what they are, I'm sure they will be thinking hard about what will work best for his travel/training.
Maybe/maybe/maybe they will decide that he should train overseas during the period between Rostelecom and Cup of China??? Accompanied by Phillip Mills or Becky Calvin, for example???​

BTW, fun fact: after Cup of China, Max will have competed in all six of the GPs.

The jet lag would be brutal to go back and forth. He'd be so much better off to just train somewhere overseas...Darn, loved seeing Max at SA last year and was hoping he might get a chance to defend his title.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Don;t be silly he has a full 11 days between the two (yes I am being sarcastic)

Max got the short end of the deal I think, yes.

The jet lag would be brutal to go back and forth. He'd be so much better off to just train somewhere overseas...Darn, loved seeing Max at SA last year and was hoping he might get a chance to defend his title.

Mishin did a training thingy in Colorado Springs with Max and Tom Z, they should call him up and ship Max their for the time in between. I would think Max would fit in nicely their... or anywhere really and enjoy/benefit from it. Seems workable to me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

My two cents:

As was much discussed before today, a good case could be made for USFS to pick Adam for Skate America. And/or Max. And/or Jason.
But I do not think a good case could be made for USFS to pick all three.

And USFS does not have control over assignments to the other GPs.
Skate Canada selects the roster for Skate Canada International.

So Max's assignments just are what they are.

Don;t be silly he has a full 11 days between the two (yes I am being sarcastic)

Max got the short end of the deal I think, yes.

Mishin did a training thingy in Colorado Springs with Max and Tom Z, they should call him up and ship Max their for the time in between. I would think Max would fit in nicely their... or anywhere really and enjoy/benefit from it. Seems workable to me.

Thoughts:

I am unsurprised that Max did not get Skate America. They needed Jason there and Adam had the right to expect it. Also, if he is to win more medals on the Grand Prix I would like to see the next couple be at "away" GPs, lest we suffer a repeat of the pillorying that we saw after Max won last year. Home cooking, after all. :sarcasm:

I am selfishly glad that Max did not get Skate Chanada. We all know who is going to win and who is going to come second.

I was hoping he might get CoC, just to complete his collection of GPs, as golden pointed out.

As for the travel, he is not the only one: Misha Ge will be doing SC -> TEB, and Javier Fernandez, the world champion, no less, is doing his back-to-back. Chen also has the 11 day turnaround from TEB to NHK. I think it entirely possible for Max, accustomed as he is to international travel, to be able to fly back and forth to the US. In fact, I would advocate for it, rather than training away from home; at least at home, he has easy access to ice-time and all the facilities he is accustomed to; that might be harder if he stayed in Europe.

Though I must say, I smiled at StitchMonkey's suggesting that Tom Z ship him off to Mishin for a couple of weeks...I rather like that idea, except that somehow, I doubt the Russian Fed would be best pleased at their greatest coach actively looking after an American man in the middle of the season... ;)

From a purely strength perspective, it would have been nice to be back at Skate America, where there's a much bigger chance that the rest of the field may underperform. But adding up who he has beaten in the last year, and who he can beat, he could possibly snag two bronzes, maybe even a bronze and a silver. And that wouldn't be so bad. The real problem would be if Adam or Jason managed to snag the SkAm win.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts:

I am unsurprised that Max did not get Skate America. They needed Jason there and Adam had the right to expect it. Also, if he is to win more medals on the Grand Prix I would like to see the next couple be at "away" GPs, lest we suffer a repeat of the pillorying that we saw after Max won last year.

From a purely strength perspective, it would have been nice to be back at Skate America, where there's a much bigger chance that the rest of the field may underperform. But adding up who he has beaten in the last year, and who he can beat, he could possibly snag two bronzes, maybe even a bronze and a silver. And that wouldn't be so bad. The real problem would be if Adam or Jason managed to snag the SkAm win.

Jin and Shoma can be counted on to put up a fight too this year. Max won it fair and square last year, although if Shoma hadn't fallen on his quad in the SP, pretty sure he would have won. Jason, Shoma, and Max made for a very happy podium last year! Looking forward to a great competition with both the men's and ladies at SA. Ice dance and pairs should be good too.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
According to The Skating Lesson Max is skating to The Lion King next year.... so we don't get Snuggle Bat, but do get a Snuggle Cat.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to The Skating Lesson Max is skating to The Lion King next year.... so we don't get Snuggle Bat, but do get a Snuggle Cat.

I keep reading the words "The Lion King", and slamming the lid on my excitement. I keep telling myself one word: Footloose, Footloose, Footloose...this Lion King could be PERFECT for Max, absolutely brilliant, but oh my god trying to keep a lid on the excitement...

I NEED VIDEO. PRONTO.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I keep reading the words "The Lion King", and slamming the lid on my excitement. I keep telling myself one word: Footloose, Footloose, Footloose...this Lion King could be PERFECT for Max, absolutely brilliant, but oh my god trying to keep a lid on the excitement...

I NEED VIDEO. PRONTO.

Kinda my feeling too... it is either going to be awesome, or Footloose, there is not a lot in between. I think as long as Max likes it and is comfortable with it, it should be good.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts:

I am unsurprised that Max did not get Skate America. They needed Jason there and Adam had the right to expect it. Also, if he is to win more medals on the Grand Prix I would like to see the next couple be at "away" GPs, lest we suffer a repeat of the pillorying that we saw after Max won last year. Home cooking, after all. :sarcasm:

The home cooking thing makes me chuckle. Someone needs to check the stove, I think! Out of the last 11 years, 8 golds were won by Japanese men, 2 by American (Max and Evan Lysaceck), and the other by Brezina. And last year Shoma took the silver, barely missing the gold. They appear to be ready and willing to reward the best performance, no matter what country the competitor is from...They do need Jason to help fill seats, but I think quite a few of us are disappointed we won't be seeing our Max. I think Mao is going to help fill seats too. I talked to several people today who are planning on going, now that they know Mao will be there...I hope Max does really well at his other 2 assignments.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will certainly give him this: the news of the Lion King free skate certainly made me smile, and skating news has not made me smile since I woke up on Saturday. There is sunlight in my sky again, breaking through the cloud.

musicfan80

Medalist
I really hope that Philip Mills and Max create a program that really expresses this music. It has the potential to be awesome, especially if Max really sells an ending that is with this part of the ending of The Lion King.

I really liked Denney/Frazier's Lion King program from two seasons ago, but because of how the vocals and instrumentals belt at the end, it made it rough to watch when Denney/Frazier made mistakes and couldn't really sell the program. I'm sure Max will try his darnest to not have that happen.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also: short program! What on earth will they pair with The Lion King?

charmblade

Final Flight
Lion King could be really good for Max. Powerful without being bombastic. Familiar yet not a warhorse. I'm cautiously optimistic with this one. (Cautious because, well, like karne said we all remember Footloose, which also seemed like a good idea at the time)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really hope that Philip Mills and Max create a program that really expresses this music. It has the potential to be awesome, especially if Max really sells an ending that is with this part of the ending of The Lion King.

Yes yes yes yes THIS IS THE EXACT PART! This is EXACTLY how it needs to end! I can see it now...a perfectly placed ChSq, leading into the finish, as the king climbs to his throne once more...!

...where'd I put that lid, dammit?!

Lion King could be really good for Max. Powerful without being bombastic. Familiar yet not a warhorse. I'm cautiously optimistic with this one. (Cautious because, well, like karne said we all remember Footloose, which also seemed like a good idea at the time)

Poor Max. He's never going live down the horror that was Footloose. I'm sure he'd love to forget it just as much as we would! :laugh: