Max Aaron | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am so up for this. *queues up to buy their first album*

But boy bands always number five. Who else is in the boy band?

I would hope for Moir and White [if they are not getting a little too old for a boy band -- sorry, I hate to even wonder ;)].

After them, Jason Brown and Alex Shibutani would be next in line, IMHO. :cool:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would hope for Moir and White [if they are not getting a little too old for a boy band -- sorry, I hate to even wonder ;)].

After them, Jason Brown and Alex Shibutani would be next in line, IMHO. :cool:

Hey, good to see you posting again! And I just saw Max at Stars on Ice tonight! He was great!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey, good to see you posting again! And I just saw Max at Stars on Ice tonight! He was great!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you are SO lucky.

Also, Jason HAS to be in this boyband. He's the adorable one that all the teen girls want to be their bff, Josh is the one with the looks that all the teen girls pin up on their bedroom walls, and Max has the looks that all the teen girls keep under their pillows. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you are SO lucky. ...

Hi, Mrs. P. Yes, lucky you for seeing everyone at SOI. Thx for reporting that Max was great. (And LOL, don't judge me ;) for parachuting back in only for a few posts in his thread. JK.)

I am unable to view this little vid, but maybe Max was a bit forgetful :laugh: before the next SOI show.
http://instagram.com/p/oKHlZbRf7x/ (May 18 from @starsonicetour)​

... Also, Jason HAS to be in this boyband. He's the adorable one that all the teen girls want to be their bff, Josh is the one with the looks that all the teen girls pin up on their bedroom walls, and Max has the looks that all the teen girls keep under their pillows. ;)

:laugh: :cool:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am unable to view this little vid, but maybe Max was a bit forgetful :laugh: before the next SOI show.
http://instagram.com/p/oKHlZbRf7x/ (May 18 from @starsonicetour)​

I'll tl;dr it for you. It appears Max was deliberately wearing his blade guards and was sort-of-skating-sort-of-shuffling his way across the ice (with an impressive amount of balance and control, I might add). Suddenly Ryan Bradley swoops out of nowhere and plucks him off the ground (also impressive) and starts turning as they head towards the edge. Max attempts to hit a prettier position for this rotational lift but Ryan's holding him in the wrong spot :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A blogger who attended SOI published some Q and A with Max Aaron and Mirai Nagasu.

The blog has some good stuff (text only, no video).
One of the best parts, IMHO, is Max identifying West Side Story as his favorite program -- and talking about getting rid of the sparkles on his red shirt on the night before competing in Salt Lake :).
I don’t want to wear stones. I don’t like to wear the crystals. I like to be simple. .... I want the skating to speak for itself. The whole thing. It’s too flashy with the crystals and this and that. So I picked all the stones off and ever since then, it stayed.
And he is full of ideas for what he wants to do when the time comes to move on from skating.

(BTW, the blog has a great photo of Mirai's Biellmann. The pic of Max shows the blogger posing with him.)​

I'll tl;dr it for you. It appears Max was deliberately wearing his blade guards and was sort-of-skating-sort-of-shuffling his way across the ice (with an impressive amount of balance and control, I might add). Suddenly Ryan Bradley swoops out of nowhere and plucks him off the ground (also impressive) and starts turning as they head towards the edge. Max attempts to hit a prettier position for this rotational lift but Ryan's holding him in the wrong spot :laugh:

Many thanks, karne. So I understand now that it was a matter of Max being playful, not forgetful. Sorry that I had misinterpreted the caption.
And come to think of it, maybe Ryan Bradley belongs in the boy band too. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A blogger who attended SOI published some Q and A with Max Aaron and Mirai Nagasu.

The blog has some good stuff (text only, no video).
One of the best parts, IMHO, is Max identifying West Side Story as his favorite program -- and talking about getting rid of the sparkles on his red shirt on the night before competing in Salt Lake :).
I don’t want to wear stones. I don’t like to wear the crystals. I like to be simple. .... I want the skating to speak for itself. The whole thing. It’s too flashy with the crystals and this and that. So I picked all the stones off and ever since then, it stayed.
And he is full of ideas for what he wants to do when the time comes to move on from skating.

The one that caught my eye was the first paragraph. QUAD LOOP? Oh Max :)

Also, if even half of his post-skating stuff comes off, he is going to be a very rich man.

I agree with the lack of stones on the WSS shirt, but maybe for a different reason; I don't necessarily think it would have made him look less "tough", I just think stones didn't belong on that shirt. Unnecessary bling is one of the worst faux pas. Like Mr Sparklebutt. (Actually, the worst case of a costume becoming 'too much' was what happened to Jason's Liebestraume costume. When he debuted it, it was just the beautiful pale blue top with the gauze, and a pair of black pants, and it was lovely. Then by JGPF, it had had dozens more stones added to it, darker blue velvet cutouts instead of the simple silver, and those blue velvet pants, which made him look about 12. :no: )

EDIT: I wanted to add that I also thought Mirai was abominably rude to Max during the superhero part.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@RichardDornbush
Check out @MaxTAaron and I killing it in beginning of the season world rankings #TopoftheUS http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm
6:42 AM - 22 May 2014
https://twitter.com/RichardDornbush/status/469473295964721152

The top U.S. men -- Dornbush 11th and Aaron 12th -- are separated by just eight points.

More U.S. men:
Brown 17th
Abbott 20th
Farris 21st
Rippon 26th
Miner 36th
etc.​

... EDIT: I wanted to add that I also thought Mirai was abominably rude to Max during the superhero part.

I hope that Mirai was just bantering in an innocuous way with her pal Max. Impossible to know her tone from her words in print, and the blog did not provide video. I do not think she seemed rude. If anything, maybe feisty :), IMHO.
I thought Max and Mirai both were cute when answering the superhero question -- with Max hoping for a love :love: interest for his alter ego Batman, and Mirai preferring to make her own choice :cool:.

ETA:
My hunch is that Max and Mirai would be very accustomed to joking around together esp. after her recent stint in Colorado Springs with TZ for her training as an alternate for Worlds.​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brown 17th
Abbott 20th
Farris 21st

If I was Abbott I would be extremely nervous of the fact that these two are so close to him (and Jason ahead!) given that their previous season results are all Junior, which doesn't give as many ranking points. How close are Abbott and Josh? I wonder if Josh had skated at CoR if he'd be ahead of Abbott too.

And gooooooooooo Max!​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Fact: Max Aaron will be giving a seminar in British Columbia along with choreographer Mark Pillay on Jun 5.

My wild speculation: I wonder whether Max will be killing two birds with one stone when he is with Pillay???

Again, only my speculation. (And no matter what, I do hope that Camerlengo will remain on Team Max.)

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but a 2013 article re Pillay includes this quote :think::
Already Pillay was demonstrating his trademark: finding music for students that no one had ever heard before.
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2841/language/en-US/Default.aspx

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, that sounds promising. I like this possibility. Has he done any programs for top guys recently?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh, that sounds promising. I like this possibility. Has he done any programs for top guys recently?

Mark Pillay has choreographed programs for the likes of Dornbush, Firus, Sandhu, and Karen Chen.
Also for Moore-Towers/Moscovitch and other pairs who have competed internationally.

So ... inquiring minds ;) should stay tuned as to the possibility of Max joining the list, I would think. :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The plot thickens re a possible new choreographer for Max Aaron:
Still only my speculation, but now reinforced because Max is visiting British Columbia "for the week," although the seminar that choreographer Mark Pillay and he are giving together takes place only on Thursday. :think:

Source: photo caption from Bela Papp, with whom Max is staying in B.C.:
Max Aaron came to visit our training centre for the week. It was a pleasure to skate with such an amazing athlete and a great friend
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=743254339050610 (Jun 4)
ETA, http://www.skatecoquitlam.com/PhotoGallery.htm has a smaller version of the same photo (or a very similar one).​

If I am not mistaken, Pillay is to Max's right in the group photo, and Papp is to Max's left. (BTW, Pillay is Papp's choreographer.)

ETA:
It's now official. Max Aaron is working on choreo with Mark Pillay.
Confirmation is in a new message on Jun 5 from http://skatecoquitlam.com/ -- which I have posted in the Programs thread in The Edge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA, random #ThrowbackThursday photos of Max:
~ Nov '05: 2006 Jr National Championship in Westminster CO -- with Sean Rabbitt, Ellie Kawamura, and others
~ JGP Japan 2010 -- with Angela Wang, Jason Brown, and Kiri Baga
~ JGP Japan 2010 -- with Angela Wang and Jason Brown

ETA, back to Max in B.C this week with other skating friends:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tom Zakrajsek
Two-time US World Team member Max Aaron performs the "fish" exercise. Anyone out there have the core strength to do this, too?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=584140508351341 (Jun 9)​

The link has a 16-second video (with less than ideal camerawork, IMHO), but even a dummy like me can appreciate that the exercise requires incredible core strength. :bow:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He doesn't even wobble... :eek:

But then, I think we got a better clue about his core strength when he crashed straight into the boards at Worlds last year and barely flinched, let alone fall...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Woah. That's impressive.

The Worlds board crash was insane. Take that, Patrick Chan! :laugh: (Kidding, no offence meant to Patrick). I'm so glad the judges gave him +GOE for that. Has anyone else done it before--crashing into the boards and not falling?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think most people tend to crash into the boards post-fall rather than pre-fall so I would think it would be an odd occasion. That said, the judges really didn't have a reason to take away GOE on that 3A anyway because the jump was complete and he was riding the edge out when bang. What struck me was that the heel of Max's blade actually left quite the gouge in the wall - deep enough that he could have got stuck.

It's interesting Tom only counted Max to ten in that fish video. I'd like to see another where he counts until Max can't hold up anymore. Just for science, of course.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Aww, let's not tire Max out during the off season. ;)

Do people really crash into the boards post-fall rather than pre-fall? Patrick clearly fell because of the boards-crash, in that infamous moment. I think one of the ladies had a board crash in Sochi, though I can't remember the details. Not sure if Yagudin's moment here had something to do with being too close to the board, or if he simply slipped. I can't think of any more examples off the top of my head. But I don't remember anyone smashing into the boards the way Max did, and remaining upright.