Jason Brown | Page 797 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Daniel Grassl has excellent taste:

I really like Jason Brown. I want to skate like him some day

How fitting for a skater with such unusual spins as Daniel:agree:

(H/t to @MGStyle in the Forza Jason Brown Facebook page for the link)

That comment really made my day!!! He did mention Jason as one of his favourite skaters a few years back, too - so his adoration must be definitely authentic! :luv17: I know his regular choreographer is Benoit, but now I wonder what Rohene could do with Daniel, if they ever get the chance to work together :biggrin: Anyway he knows how to choose a perfect role model! :agree:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US Figure Skating has asked on its social media which of Jason's hairstyles we prefer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4n8I7ATBe/

and Jason answered in the comments that he was taking notes:laugh:

(I have overcome my sentimental attachment to the pony, and I like the full-on curls. It appears that more folks like the "fade" however;) )

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
US Figure Skating has asked on its social media which of Jason's hairstyles we prefer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4n8I7ATBe/

and Jason answered in the comments that he was taking notes:laugh:

(I have overcome my sentimental attachment to the pony, and I like the full-on curls. It appears that more folks like the "fade" however;) )

I voted for the fade, but in those photos, he looks better in the curly do. He's outgrown the ponytail and slicked back does nothing for him. It's a fun Instagram quiz, though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hang on, why do they have Tristan et Iseult for the ponytail square? Wasn't his hair for that program loose with a little bit pulled back?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hang on, why do they have Tristan et Iseult for the ponytail square? Wasn't his hair for that program loose with a little bit pulled back?

Yes, T&I was certainly not a classic pony, it did have the braid pulled back and hair loose. I thought that hairstyle went quite well with the T&I theme. They should have gone with Riverdance. When it doubt, go with Riverdance:)

I don't know how well the social media team and/or intern actually know Jason's history, given some of their posts. But you can't have everything:biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist
My thoughts on the hair, I think all of these worked well for their time. If I had to choose a favorite for 25-yr-old Jason, I would probably say the Fade. That one seems to have been styled by a pro who knew what they were doing and it suits his hair type and face very well. It also grew out well. But Jason doesn't appear to care much about style and might prefer not having to maintain a cut, so Curls might suit him better now. I loved the T/I hair! It worked so well for that program. I have nothing against the bun, but I didn't like how the hair was pulled back so severely and shellacked down so much during that season. At this point in his career, I'd say whatever makes him comfortable. I'm fine with Curls as long as he doesn't end up looking like Bob Ross.

noskates

Record Breaker
Keegan AND his coach live in Alaska - USA. I think Keegan was able to skate for Canada because one of his parents is Canadian. Could be wrong but that's what I remember.

Jason's hair is a whole column unto itself. I think the reason he shellacs it back so tautly is that when he sweats or if any of those hairs come loose than he looks like a banshee skating around the rink. The only way he can keep it in place is to put lots of product on it. I liked how he looked at Nationals this year. That was mature Jason Brown.

And I wish they would hurry up and make an announcement about Nationals (altho I know what it will probably be) so I can better manage my destroyed expectations.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Keegan AND his coach live in Alaska - USA. I think Keegan was able to skate for Canada because one of his parents is Canadian. Could be wrong but that's what I remember.

Jason's hair is a whole column unto itself. I think the reason he shellacs it back so tautly is that when he sweats or if any of those hairs come loose than he looks like a banshee skating around the rink. The only way he can keep it in place is to put lots of product on it. I liked how he looked at Nationals this year. That was mature Jason Brown.

And I wish they would hurry up and make an announcement about Nationals (altho I know what it will probably be) so I can better manage my destroyed expectations.

Presumably they are opening registration for Nationals already. I think they will be planning on having it in some form.
Yes, Keegan lives and works in the US, but represents Canada. So he can skate at either SKAM or SCI. But if he skates SCI, he has to cross the border and quarantine for 2 weeks before the comp, so it might be easier for him to go to SKAM, where that wouldn't be necessary. It's the reverse of Jason's situation. It will be easier for Jason to skate SCI under the current international conditions.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So reading up on the Championship Series... it could be a headache for Jason.

Bye and advancement information is still being finalized and will be released in September via the series website: www.usfigureskatingchampionshipseries.com. All interested athletes (including potential and known byes)MUST enter both the Championship Series AND at least one Championship Series competition within the designated registration windows

So he may have to come back to the states to qualify to come back to the states for Nationals. Ummm, that sucks and may really hurt his training. Who knows if he can even get back into Canada again.

I wonder if he can apply for a bye... to use his bye. Or just a bye to worlds.

... beyond that... why on earth are they requiring all skaters to do this? Just to fill up spots and have fewer skaters. Gee i wonder if Jason and Vincent and Nathan will be among the tops scores!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Bye and advancement information is still being finalized and will be released in September via the series website: www.usfigureskatingchampionshipseries.com. All interested athletes (including potential and known byes)MUST enter both the Championship Series AND at least one Championship Series competition within the designated registration windows

So he may have to come back to the states to qualify to come back to the states for Nationals. Ummm, that sucks and may really hurt his training. Who knows if he can even get back into Canada again.

... beyond that... why on earth are they requiring all skaters to do this? Just to fill up spots and have fewer skaters. Gee i wonder if Jason and Vincent and Nathan will be among the tops scores!

I don't know the details, but what you quoted says they need to enter the championship competitions. I know they must register for at least one, but what I read didn't indicate that they actually have to skate in one. This applies to the ice dancers too, many of whom are in Montreal. It's not just Jason. I don't think they'll require them to come back. If they can't get to the competition, they can't. We'll see! I can't see USFS deliberately making things difficult for Jason or their top Ice Dancers.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

This is what I found about byes:

All athletes interested in participating in the qualifying season (including potential byes)
MUST enter both the Championship Series AND at least one Championship Series
competition within the designated registration windows.

To me that means that if you have a bye BUT WANT TO PARTICIPATE ANYWAY, you should register. It doesn't mean that everyone needs to participate, but that all skaters who want to participate (are interested) need to register.

noskates

Record Breaker
Okay - this makes me mad. HOW can they justify applying the old rules when the world is in such a predicament? There has to be reasonable justification - not just for Jason but for all skaters who train out of the country they represent.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All interested athletes (including potential and known byes)MUST enter both the Championship Series AND at least one Championship Series competition within the designated registration windows

It says enter.

It doesn't say "compete" or "participate".

;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

So he may have to come back to the states to qualify to come back to the states for Nationals. ...

So far, I am not concerned that Jason or the U.S. ice dancers in Montreal will be forced to return to the U.S. to compete at a Championship Series event.

Not 100.00% sure, but AFAIK, the Championship Series requirements for Skaters With Known Byes To Nats basically are equivalent to the normal requirements in a normal season for Skaters With Known Byes To Nats (I will start using the shorthand of SWKBTN).

For a normal non-pandemic season, SWKBTN have been required (no exceptions) to register for the USFS qualifying season, by the same deadline as all other skaters.
Plus in order to register for the qualifying season, the same entry fee has been required for SWKBTN as for all other skaters -- even if SWKBTN have absolutely zero intention of choosing to compete at regionals/sectionals.

Again, I am not 100.00% sure, but my theory is that the idea with the Championship Series this year is for SWKBTN to meet the customary requirement of registering for the qualifying season -- and to meet the customary requirement of paying the same entry fee for the qualifying season as all other skaters do. For the Championship Series, other skaters would be paying the entry fee for the series as a whole + the entry fee for at least one specific competition.

As Bookseller and karne alluded to, being required to enter (sign up for) a Championship Series event is not the same as being required to show up and compete at one.

.... Or just a bye to worlds.

Meaning a bye to skip Nats and get an automatic assignment to Worlds?
Never heard of such a thing, as least for Team USA skaters? And even during a pandemic, I do not think I would be in favor of such a thing.
(Missing Nats because of injury and then petitioning for an assignment to Worlds seems like something different, IMO.)

Quick updates re other skaters recently mentioned in this thread:
- We now know that Vincent actually did compete at the recent Cup of Colorado. And per the new fan zone article about Vincent: He has been getting some long-distance coaching from Barkell -- but if Vincent ends up remaining in the U.S. on a long-term basis, sounds as if he will figure out a new coaching solution.
- Julian Yee returned to Malaysia from Canada just a few days ago. He currently is living in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur for fourteen days of quarantine (mandatory, I assume?). I do not know how long he intends to stay in Malaysia.​

ETA (on Aug 23):
As of today, Julian has nine days remaining in quarantine.​

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So far, I am not concerned that Jason or the U.S. ice dancers in Montreal will be forced to return to the U.S. to compete at a Championship Series event.

Not 100.00% sure, but AFAIK, the Championship Series requirements for Skaters With Known Byes To Nats basically are equivalent to the normal requirements in a normal season for Skaters With Known Byes To Nats (I will start using the shorthand of SWKBTN).

For a normal non-pandemic season, SWKBTN have been required (no exceptions) to register for the USFS qualifying season, by the same deadline as all other skaters.
Plus in order to register for the qualifying season, the same entry fee has been required for SWKBTN as for all other skaters -- even if SWKBTN have absolutely zero intention of choosing to compete at regionals/sectionals.

Again, I am not 100.00% sure, but my theory is that the idea with the Championship Series this year is for SWKBTN to meet the customary requirement of registering for the qualifying season -- and to meet the customary requirement of paying the same entry fee for the qualifying season as all other skaters do. For the Championship Series, other skaters would be paying the entry fee for the series as a whole + the entry fee for at least one specific competition.

As Bookseller and karne alluded to, being required to enter (sign up for) a Championship Series event is not the same as being required to show up and compete at one.

Meaning a bye to skip Nats and get an automatic assignment to Worlds?
Never heard of such a thing, as least for Team USA skaters? And even during a pandemic, I do not think I would be in favor of such a thing.
(Missing Nats because of injury and then petitioning for an assignment to Worlds seems like something different, IMO.)

Quick updates re other skaters recently mentioned in this thread:
- We now know that Vincent actually did compete at the recent Cup of Colorado. And per the new fan zone article about Vincent: He has been getting some long-distance coaching from Barkell -- but if Vincent ends up remaining in the U.S. on a long-term basis, sounds as if he will figure out a new coaching solution.
- Julian Yee returned to Malaysia from Canada just a few days ago. He currently is living in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur for fourteen days of quarantine (mandatory, I assume?). I do not know how long he intends to stay in Malaysia.​

Vince's quotes in that article seemed to indicate that he's not contemplating a return to Canada at this time. He expressed gratitude for what he learned there. The logistics may simply be too complicated. He mentioned that he would be without health insurance if he returned to Canada. Which is a bit puzzling, but may indeed be the case. Jason is well established in Toronto and has been in residence for 2 years, much like many of the Ice Dancers. They have different status. So my guess is that Jason will skate SCI with the resident Canadians and whoever comes back to Canada to train, maybe Jun, maybe Yuzu, maybe not. And Vince and Nathan will be at SKAM. I assume that the 3 skater limit per nation will not be relevant this year. Does anyone know the entry deadline for the GP series?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Nobunari Oda wrote an article for SPUR October issue, a Japanese fashion magazine (which often features skating related articles/photo sessions) and he pays some wonderful compliments to Jason, while he discusses the recent Peggy Fleming trophy. Here is a rough translation.

The winner was Jason Brown, currently 6th in the world ranking.
I absolutely adore his Piano program, which I saw at Skate America 2016. The music starts out very quietly, the first 3 minutes are quite subdued before it reaches the climax. It may appear boring if skated by a lesser skater, but not with Jason. He expresses the nuance of each and every note with his entire body, he grabs your attention and leave you absolutely captivated. I would say his skating is like savouring a cup of coffee of the highest quality. You take a sip and you realize the difference, between the ordinary and the true excellence - "wow, THIS... is the real coffee!"
He is clearly among the top when it comes to artistry and musicality. His athleticism shines in his spins, footwork and skating skills. This special quality leads to 90+ in SP even without quads. I have heard some criticism that his PCS are inflated, but I absolutely disagree.
His programs are always jam-packed with high quality contents, which deserve +4/+5. For example, let's talk about step sequence. Jason never skates flat footed, constantly using deep edges - inside, outside, continuously intricate and precise. In my opinion, to attain his level of skating skills would be even more difficult than jumping.
Jason left his long time coach whom he grew up with two years ago, and transferred to Toronto Cricket Club in order to train with Tracy Wilson and Brian Orser. The move shows that he means business, and aim to be the best in the world.
I hope and believe it won't be long before he finally masters the quads, and I look forward to seeing his exuberant, sunny self in the Kiss and Cry with his coaches!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the translation, @MGStyle, what a wonderful interview. :luv17:

"Jason never skates flat footed, constantly using deep edges - inside, outside, continuously intricate and precise. In my opinion, to attain his level of skating skills would be even more difficult than jumping."

Nobu is the man!:agree:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nobunari Oda wrote an article for SPUR October issue, a Japanese fashion magazine (which often features skating related articles/photo sessions) and he pays some wonderful compliments to Jason, while he discusses the recent Peggy Fleming trophy. Here is a rough translation.

The winner was Jason Brown, currently 6th in the world ranking.
I absolutely adore his Piano program, which I saw at Skate America 2016. The music starts out very quietly, the first 3 minutes are quite subdued before it reaches the climax. It may appear boring if skated by a lesser skater, but not with Jason. He expresses the nuance of each and every note with his entire body, he grabs your attention and leave you absolutely captivated. I would say his skating is like savouring a cup of coffee of the highest quality. You take a sip and you realize the difference, between the ordinary and the true excellence - "wow, THIS... is the real coffee!"
He is clearly among the top when it comes to artistry and musicality. His athleticism shines in his spins, footwork and skating skills. This special quality leads to 90+ in SP even without quads. I have heard some criticism that his PCS are inflated, but I absolutely disagree.
His programs are always jam-packed with high quality contents, which deserve +4/+5. For example, let's talk about step sequence. Jason never skates flat footed, constantly using deep edges - inside, outside, continuously intricate and precise. In my opinion, to attain his level of skating skills would be even more difficult than jumping.
Jason left his long time coach whom he grew up with two years ago, and transferred to Toronto Cricket Club in order to train with Tracy Wilson and Brian Orser. The move shows that he means business, and aim to be the best in the world.
I hope and believe it won't be long before he finally masters the quads, and I look forward to seeing his exuberant, sunny self in the Kiss and Cry with his coaches!

Wow that is not only super nice, it is super true! Jason IS THAT GOOD! Thanks so much for the translation!