Jason Brown | Page 701 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

noskates

Record Breaker
Respectfully - I'm not sure I agree that Rohene choreographed above Jason's abilities. Between he and Kori I think Rohene pushed Jason to be better and to utilize his performance talent. For me the jury is still out on David Wilson (with Jason) but that could be because I really, really didn't like his Simon and Garfunkel this year. The music for me was not Jason and I felt he was just skating choreography and not feeling the music like I'm used to seeing him do. But I chalk all that up to growing pains and the fact that Brian and Tracy had to learn what he was about and what he could do. Which makes me salivate at the thought of Schindler's List. I think Kori got to the point with Jason where she was out of her league. She was great for him when he was coming up and that nurturing facet of her coaching was probably what he needed but she wasn't able to take him to the next step. I agree that his lack of a successful quad was in part due to his back injury but I also think she maybe didn't have the technical chops to correct his flaws. JMO.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Respectfully - I'm not sure I agree that Rohene choreographed above Jason's abilities. Between he and Kori I think Rohene pushed Jason to be better and to utilize his performance talent. For me the jury is still out on David Wilson (with Jason) but that could be because I really, really didn't like his Simon and Garfunkel this year. The music for me was not Jason and I felt he was just skating choreography and not feeling the music like I'm used to seeing him do. But I chalk all that up to growing pains and the fact that Brian and Tracy had to learn what he was about and what he could do. Which makes me salivate at the thought of Schindler's List. I think Kori got to the point with Jason where she was out of her league. She was great for him when he was coming up and that nurturing facet of her coaching was probably what he needed but she wasn't able to take him to the next step. I agree that his lack of a successful quad was in part due to his back injury but I also think she maybe didn't have the technical chops to correct his flaws. JMO.

I certainly don’t think Rohene always choreographed above Jason’s abilities. I think he’s wonderfully creative and has frequently given Jason amazing programs. I love his work overall. I do think Juke wasn’t the best fit for Jason at that time in terms of his maturity (I thought he handled the choreography well). That’s just my opinion and quite a few people disagree!

I did not like the S&G FS much - not the music nor the choreography- and would have been happy to see two Rohene programs last year. But I think it was good for Jason to branch out, and hopefully the new FS will be a better fit.

I agree with you about Kori.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can hardly wait to see Jason's Schindler's List. I have a feeling he and David made a great connection on this program. This brief clip (and a previous one he posted) seemed super intense. It will be great to see it at Skate America.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I'm hesitant to judge Kori's upper level of coaching after 2014, but it was clear after 2015, despite the win at Nationals, that Jason wasn't progressing as he should have. The 2016 and 2017 injuries helped to obscure what was becoming clear by 2016, that Jason needed to get solid on his quad and he wasn't getting there. His 3A was inconsistent also. The injuries were definitely a setback, but when I try to excuse the lack of progress due to injuries I can't help but note that Nathan was badly injured also, had surgery and came back stronger than ever. Granted, the age disparity was a big difference in the rate of recovery, but Nathan's technical prowess and his achievements post injury speak as much to superior coaching as to age and talent. I think that Jason's injuries delayed the coaching change. How do you judge that you've outgrown your coach after she got you to the Olympics and a National Championship and through two years of injuries? But the change should have been made in 2015 or 2016 when it was clear that his jumps were not improving and the technique was causing injuries. There are clear arguments for either time frame, but Jason wasn't emotionally ready at that time. I once said to a friend and fellow skating enthusiast, that a lot of careers were riding on Jason's back. And I think Jason felt some responsibility for that. Cracks were showing by 2015 Nationals, despite the win. I love Jason and his skating so much, that it was tempting to ignore the warning signs. But it did become really clear that it was time for him to move on. It's hard, but most great skaters have faced that issue and finally moved on to greater or lesser success. I think Nathan might be the last skater at that level who is still with his childhood coach.

As for the choreography question, I am waiting to see Schindler this year to make a judgement, There is no question that Rohene and Jason have made a brilliant team and created some iconic programs together. I would have been happy to have Ro choreograph both of Jason's programs last year or this year. But Jason was and is looking for change, so I understand why he worked with David. S&G was ok, but not a good fit. It was a case of the program having too little personality in it's raw state, and it didn't allow Jason to express his own personality while skating it. Jason was unable to connect with the audience in that program. And the audience was desperately trying to connect with him, because that is something people love about him. He skated like he was trying to find something in that program, but it kept eluding him. So even when the Jason touches were added and the technique improved, he was still not emotionally invested in it. Based on the opening clip of Schindler, this might not be a problem this time.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Regarding last year’s free skate, it always seemed to me that someone suggested Old Friends/Hazy Shade of Winter and the coaching team just jumped on it - ooh, yeah, all these changes in his life, end of one road, loss of dreams, moving away from friends and only coach he’s ever known - perfect! Brilliant! He’ll totally relate to it! And Jason totally didn’t. Instinctively he knew it wasn’t a good choice. But he acquiesced because his whole goal was to reinvent himself.

Hopefully there were lessons learned for him, DW, and the entire team. Don’t pick music because intellectually you think it will suit a skater. In your quest for change, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. In respecting your new coaching team, don’t forget to respect yourself and trust your own instincts.

One other thing: if this is the kind of iconic program The Piano was, don’t make the mistake of doing it two years in a row, so that if you want to bring it back for the Olympics, you can.

noskates

Record Breaker
May I just say that I truly enjoy this thread. We don't always agree on every point but we always have good thoughts to back up our position. I think we all agree that Jason needed a change, that he probably sadly wasn't emotionally ready for one (Kori was like a third parent and Jason is nothing but loyal and loving) and that maybe it might have come too late. I hope the latter isn't true. Jason might be getting older but he's in good shape, doesn't carry extra weight, and has the desire to be the best he can be and his work ethic is remarkable. I love that he's obviously won Brian over and I think his efforts to reinvent himself have been very positive so far. This year will be a seminal year for him. I almost think it's a "make or break" year for him if he's to remain competitive internationally - not to mention in the US. There is still no one on the horizon in this country that skates with such passion, fluidity and performance skills. I pray he gets that damnable quad...or 2.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on DW and Jason later, but.

Still true; I will be :sad4: at this program.

We *need* all of this filmed by Jordan C. And for this, finally, I understand the black heart:pray:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Jason’s program so far :cry::luv17: This looks like it will be really amazing.

As for coaches, I think Vincent has been with Tammy since a younger age than Nathan has been with Raf.