Jason Brown | Page 742 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
US figure skating has published the telecoms for last year’s champions but not for anyone else that I’ve found. Which is either short sighted or means they expect all of the 2019 champions to repeat.

For me it’s a bit hard not to wonder what’s up with Jason when he’s this invisible. It’s not just the fact he’s not posting - there are no articles or interviews.

It might be part of his team's strategy to keep him under the radar. Let's face it, all people want to ask him is any question about his quad status. If he's got one, he probably doesn't want to talk about it yet. And if not, he probably doesn't want to talk about it at all. But if there was a teleconference with him, I would certainly like to hear it. He's probably in Greensboro today. He should be visible on the practice cam and Jackie Wong will be watching, tweeting and opining. So we should have some info soon!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It might be part of his team's strategy to keep him under the radar. Let's face it, all people want to ask him is any question about his quad status. If he's got one, he probably doesn't want to talk about it yet. And if not, he probably doesn't want to talk about it at all. But if there was a teleconference with him, I would certainly like to hear it. He's probably in Greensboro today. He should be visible on the practice cam and Jackie Wong will be watching, tweeting and opining. So we should have some info soon!

I can certainly see them advising him to limit posting on social media, but to me the lack of interest in Jason and the other senior men not named Nathan is not so great. A recent NBC article on the competition schedule mentions him in passing like this:

“[Chen] is a massive favorite, outranking the next-best American this season (Jason Brown) by 80 points in fall international competition.” No other guy (including Vincent) was even mentioned.

As to practice, I don’t think the men’s practice on Thursday is being streamed - only the Friday morning one. I thought Jackie was at Euros, not at Nats, but maybe I’m wrong.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can certainly see them advising him to limit posting on social media, but to me the lack of interest in Jason and the other senior men not named Nathan is not so great. A recent NBC article on the competition schedule mentions him in passing like this:

“[Chen] is a massive favorite, outranking the next-best American this season (Jason Brown) by 80 points in fall international competition.” No other guy (including Vincent) was even mentioned.

As to practice, I don’t think the men’s practice on Thursday is being streamed - only the Friday morning one. I thought Jackie was at Euros, not at Nats, but maybe I’m wrong.

Agreed that NBC overplays Nathan, but that's what NBC does. They broadcast for the casual fan and try to create stars. Jackie said on his podcast that he was in NYC and would be arriving in Greensboro on Tuesday morning and then would fly back to London after Nationals ended. Nick McCarvel is in Australia for tennis, so Jackie will most likely be sitting at Ice Desk occasionally.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Agreed that NBC overplays Nathan, but that's what NBC does. They broadcast for the casual fan and try to create stars. Jackie said on his podcast that he was in NYC and would be arriving in Greensboro on Tuesday morning and then would fly back to London after Nationals ended. Nick McCarvel is in Australia for tennis, so Jackie will most likely be sitting at Ice Desk occasionally.

Thanks for the info!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have taken one for Team Jason and intercepted the injury demons on this side of the world!

It will be very early AM for me when he skates...:coffee: :bed:

Ross74

Medalist
Yay! Competition break!

FYI if you have NBC Gold and want to watch Jason's practice sessions, it looks like Friday morning will be the only full practice for the Men that will be streamed. Jason is in Group C and should be on the ice between 9:35 and 10:15 a.m. Eastern time on Friday. It also looks like they will be streaming the warm-up practices for the Men's short and long before each competition.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are all thinking the same thing. :scard8:

Then again, Jackie liked Mick B.:yes:

babyskate

On the Ice
I am off to Greensboro tomorrow. I have seen Jason skate live many times and except for his senior debut in 2011 in Greensboro, he has medaled everytime I was there .
Let's hope our streak continues.
Greensboro nationals 2011 was a debut and a standing ovation and Greensboro 2015 was a gold medal.
Good karma in the building for him.
I cannot wait to see his 2 programs!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He wasn't alone in thinking that ....

True, but Jackie has predicted silver for Jason several times at competitions he subsequently bombed. Of course, I’m not superstitious or anything. :drama:

I think this time I’ll channel my superstition in a different direction and hope babyskate is a good luck charm. :)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Oh crikey, Kevin killed me enough yesterday, I just can't take another tragedy seriously!!! Jason please save my soul!!!! :drama:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If anyone cares about Jackie Wong's Nats predictions, he has Jason in 2nd. https://www.rockerskating.com/news/2020/1/22/2020-us-nationals-preview-men

It's a reasonable prediction, but as much as I love Jackie he is not a good predictor. I thought that he was way off predicting Kevin for Gold, though I was expecting top 6! There is almost no way to predict Men except that Nathan will win. We have no idea what Jason is doing. Vince is also unknown. And both Tomoki and Camden are capable of putting down strong shorts. And Camden can put down a decent free. So while I think Jason has an excellent chance for podium, I wouldn't want to predict anything until at least we've seen a practice. I do believe that he can make podium if he skates smart and clean. And if he makes podium, he'll go to World's. And I want him to be at World's!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Jason always does best when lighthearted, carefree... this is the Jason I want to see at Greensboro regardless of scores or outcome... tho it is my New Year's wish that he makes the podium and goes on to Worlds... saying here what I say for my favorite ladies.. ".. wings on your skates, Jason..!!!"

Ross74

Medalist
Surprise- Jason did not participate in practice this morning.

I'm actually not surprised. Isn't this what he did at last year's Nationals? He may have pushed his arrival to the last minute. No time change to deal with.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
He just posted a throwback to RMCH on insta about coming back to Greensboro (sp?) so seems to me like maybe he’s striving a bit later? The SP isn’t till saturday right?