Jason Brown | Page 758 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree. I think the encouraging thing for me is that there are multiple reports, both in competition practice and elsewhere. He can do it- I hope he can believe in himself.

I think that is the key. He has to believe that he can do it in competition. Brian and Tracy are really good at helping their skaters to "trust their training" and go for it!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason was interviewed by Japanese media, with lots of interesting info:

Japanese version: https://global.canon/ja/event/skating/interview/2019_2020/brown.html

English translation: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?re.../event/skating/interview/2019_2020/brown.html

Evidently he is working with Karen Preston and Geoff Dionisio on the quads. And it sounds as though he thinks it’s better to fall on a quad than land a double. And that skating in the final group is old news to him:laugh:

Also loved the quote about following Yuzu:

“Pooh flew around the ice and felt like I was being supported and I was cheered up. The power of the yellow bear is amazing.”
:biggrin:

Last edited:

sdwyer52

On the Ice
We had video years ago - the summer of 2016, I think? - of Jason landing clean quads. I've always believed he can. But practice and competition are two different beasts. I'm sure he'll get there. If not at Worlds, early next season.

Jason landed multiple quads at the US Nationals practices - then landed a quad toe a bit under rotated in the FS. You can still find the video on Jason landing quads in 2016. He also landed a quad in a performance to The Scent of Love - US Championships I believe 2018 where Jonny Weir made a big deal about it.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Jason has obviously gained strength and muscle in his upper chest and core from working off ice. He has also visited Rohene Ward in Chicago and another coach - CA for training with his jumps in recent weeks. He isn't just sitting around hoping things get better. He is really working on it.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Yuma

Yuma was like a little brother looking to the other men for ideas on what to do. I guess being so young he never thought to look at videos of how others react to new situations.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuma was like a little brother looking to the other men for ideas on what to do. I guess being so young he never thought to look at videos of how others react to new situations.

Jason and Yuzu are almost 10 years older than Yuma. Yuzu was treating him like a little brother. He was definitely taking care of him. It was very sweet.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason was interviewed by Japanese media, with lots of interesting info:

Japanese version: https://global.canon/ja/event/skating/interview/2019_2020/brown.html

English translation: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?re.../event/skating/interview/2019_2020/brown.html

Evidently he is working with Karen Preston and Geoff Dionisio on the quads. And it sounds as though he thinks it’s better to fall on a quad than land a double. And that skating in the final group is old news to him:laugh:

Also loved the quote about following Yuzu:

“Pooh flew around the ice and felt like I was being supported and I was cheered up. The power of the yellow bear is amazing.”
:biggrin:

Oh how I wish we had the original English for this great interview! Still, in addition to his Pooh comments, I particularly liked:

“In terms of acting, I feel as if I was a conductor of an orchestra, and I felt like I was playing music by manipulating myself.” :)

“Flashy expressionism is still easier.“ :) :):

Also: I liked what he said about the quad - that he was landing them almost everyday in practice at home, that he was successful with it in the official practice, that he’s sure he can do quads, and that he knows how to do the jump, it’s just that in practice you get a few tries, but in competition you only get one chance, and you need to have the skills to control it, that it’s a delicate balance, but he knows he can do it.

That kind of confidence is amazing! :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also would have loved to seen the English original, I can imagine what he said in some of these quotes, but not others. I doubt he said he had a sense of "evil ness", but maybe he was preparing for Kunzite;)

I had a brief second of hope when I saw his video with the story, but of course it was a short clip of greetings in Japanese.:)

Ross74

Medalist
I also would have loved to seen the English original, I can imagine what he said in some of these quotes, but not others. I doubt he said he had a sense of "evil ness", but maybe he was preparing for Kunzite;)

This is funny. I was using about 5 different translation apps today to try and understand some of the things that were unclear, and I got about 5 completely different translations. :laugh: Japanese is so hard for machine translation. The pronouns alone are killers. I finally ended up translating it from Japanese to Russian and then reading it in Russian. That ended up being the easiest for me to understand. It made me sad when he apologized to his coaches for messing up the 4t.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is funny. I was using about 5 different translation apps today to try and understand some of the things that were unclear, and I got about 5 completely different translations. :laugh: Japanese is so hard for machine translation. The pronouns alone are killers. I finally ended up translating it from Japanese to Russian and then reading it in Russian. That ended up being the easiest for me to understand. It made me sad when he apologized to his coaches for messing up the 4t.

It is definitely difficult, Yuzu's interviews in Japanese are carefully translated by fans and we still get very very different versions... I hope some fans will have a go at this one of Jason's!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'll try to translate this bit by bit, it will take a while, as I'm not a fast translator (and NOT a pro) but I hope it makes thing a little clearer for Jason fans. Canon is known for their interesting interviews with skaters.

Delight in the Silver Medal at the Four Continents Championship
Skating after Hanyu "I received Bear Power"

Maintaining Peak (condition) a week after Nationals, Understanding Ones own pace, Skating Last

To start with the 4CC medal, a great honor.

Yes, it was a wonderful competition. That I was able to make the press conference (top 3) in the Short and the Free, skating in official practices, and the atmosphere of competition, all stayed with me.
Especially as I was able to land the quad toe loop in official practice, and I was able to feel as if I was one with the ice, I was able to take that confidence with me to the competition.

It was only one week after the US Nationals that you landed in Seoul

It's difficult to peak twice in so short a time. After Nationals, I only trained 5 days before coming. It's a busy schedule, but the TCC team is united in it's efforts towards competition and that was heartening. I was able to just train and bring myself to my best condition towards Nationals. Because I was able to perform my best at Nationals, it became important that I maintain my peak for the 4 Continents Championship in February and Worlds in March so I discussed this with my coach.

Maintaining peak condition is an important challenge isn't it?

Since it went well this time, it's all about how to create the peak condition for World Championships. For example, in daily practice, to have a training load fine tuned so that leaves me a little tired but with a little energy left over. After a skating session, It's also important to have the courage to rest if you feel tired. It's my second year since moving to Brian. My current aim is that it's not just about learning new things, but also training so that I can demonstrate my skill in competition.

In the SP at the Four Continents Championship, you had a perfect performance and you placed third

In the SP, it was the first time for me to experience skating after Yuzuru. Poohs were flying here and there on to the ice, it felt like the cheers were including me as well, and I felt encouraged. The power of the Yellow Bear is amazing isn't it? I know that this is how fans at the rink send power and it warms and encourages me.

Going into the Free Skate in third, you were the last to skate

I also feel that skating last is a big deal. But I've skated last at the World Championships twice, and at the Olympics, and also at last weeks Nationals I skated last. That's so many times skating last! So this time, skating last, I knew how to spend the one hour after the 6 minute warm up. And I also knew how I myself would change during that one hour. As the body cools, movement feels heavy, so with that knowledge, I kept warmed up, and when I got back on the ice I started warming up immediately.

Other than the Quad, your Freeskate was perfect

In the performance aspectbI felt like a conductor of an orchestra, I felt like I was conducting myself and making music - like I performed with my full power. Towards the World Championships in Montreal, I'd like to re-do the things that were challenging for me here.

2 Years with Orser, sharing a goal

"I've been able to skate naturally, without stress

This is the second year under Brian Orser. There's a sense that your skating skills are more free-flowing than ever.
Above improving my Jumping technique, I take skating skills lessons every day. It's really important to me to take on the many aspects of this sport in a balanced way. To be stronger, more beautiful, smooth and without excess. It feels like simple skating lessons, but things change little by little, and before you know it, a new level of consciousness in achieved. I don't know how important skating is until I do it.

Do you feel any changes in this second year?

Last season, I had to break a lot of habits that I had learned and build new skills over them, a lot of things didn't click. This season, I think I've been able to express the fundamental skating skills without needless effort. This season, the high PCS from each competition has been proof of my progress. The main reason I've been able to skate more naturally is that I'm finally starting to take ownership of the goals Brian (and team) have been aiming for. For the 18 months since moving to Toronto, skating boot problems, stamina and building strength, what to eat, how long to train and how long to rest, in all areas I've been finding my best self through trial and error. I think it was also difficult for Brian and Tracy. Even though I was looking for change moving to this team, it's not easy for change to really sink in. Brian (and team) really encouraged me while I was going through that stress. Now I know what I need to do and the undue stress is gone.

This season with Schindler's List, it's like we're seeing a new Jason Brown. Even though it's not a showy performance, the feelings come across.

Showy performances are easier. To express the theme of Schindler's list, one has to be both technically and emotionally mature. Schindler's List is something I've wanted to skate to since 5 years ago. But, I felt I needed to mature first. I explained to Choreographer David Wilson what I wanted to express and he put that into the shape of the program so well. I was satisfied with the outcome. Figure skating is something you skate as a competitor but at the same time you can be a performing artist. I always want to be a storyteller, to sing the song, play the music, express emotion, I take those parts seriously.

What's needed for Quad success, control techniques and Yuzuru's competitive strength.

At this competition (4CC) you landed the quad toe loop in practice, landing it in competition is just one step away?

My feelings are also that it's almost there. In Toronto I'm landing it every day and I've even done it perfect in run-throughs. At the official practices in Seoul I succeeded and I've definitely got the technique down compared to before. My instructor Karen Price, and Harness operator Jeff Deoncio work with me and I'm definitely grasping the technique for the quad.
But in the Free Skate, even though it would have been better to fall on the quad, I landed a double, and I shouldn't have made that mistake. I felt apologetic towards Brian and Tracy and all the coaches. I'm going to try again at World Championships with the certainty that I will land it.

What do you need for success (of the quad toe) in competition?

There are two reasons for lack of success in competition. First is psychological. I need to trust my coaches and myself. Of course, I'm trying to do that, but everyone has moments of weakness and negative thoughts, so it's about how to control that. This can be resolved. And the technique is also one step away. I've gotten the technique down to the point of where if I try a few times, I'll land one. I've found a pattern so that I know it will work. But to land it in competition with only one chance, I need the technique that gives me control in any situation. The control to land even if it's wobbly or even if the approach isn't quite right, to control it and take off anyway like usual. That sort of thing. I've reached a very detailed part of the training, so I think next time will certainly be a success.

Training in Toronto, Yuzuru Hanyu and Evgenia Medvedeva are with you right?

I receive power from everyone on the team, but the enthusiasm of those two is really wonderful. Yuzuru's concentration during practice is simply amazing. Before I likened him to a Drill Sargent, but recently, he's got this really grown up aura. To be able to see Seimei and Ballade 1 in practice before my eyes is such a treat. Seeing his skill in skating pushes my own skating. Evgenia is serious and passionate about training. But off the ice she's a really cute girl. We're very friendly. She's already preparing for next season.

And your goals for this season?

It's the World Championships, to give a perfect performance in the Short and the Free. And of course to land the quad. I feel that my technique, and what I want to express are already evolving, so will i be able to put that out in competition. I want to learn this competitive strength from Yuzuru as I train.

Thank you, we're looking forward to seeing you at the World Championships.

As always with translations, feedback from other Japanese speakers is welcome. If you spot an error, please comment.

Last edited:

eaglehelang

Final Flight

The funniest to me is the podium photo with 3 of them. Jason & Yuzuru, the two 25 yrs olds, giving their brightest professional smiles vs Yuma, the awkward 16 yr old with 'they took the photo already? I'm not ready' look.
Plus the language barrier. Yuma keep looking to see which part of of the ceremony it is - hold medal up, grp pic together or separate, hold flag,etc etc. Cute kid, lol.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll try to translate this bit by bit, it will take a while, as I'm not a fast translator (and NOT a pro) but I hope it makes thing a little clearer for Jason fans. Canon is known for their interesting interviews with skaters.

Maintaining Peak (condition) a week after Nationals, Understanding Ones own pace, Skating Last

Yes, it was a wonderful competition. That I was able to make the press conference (top 3) in the Short and the Free, skating in official practices, and the atmosphere of competition, all stayed with me.
Especially as I was able to land the quad toe loop in official practice, and I was able to feel as if I was one with the ice, I was able to take that confidence with me to the competition.

It's difficult to peak twice in so short a time. After Nationals, I only trained 5 days before coming. It's a busy schedule, but the TCC team is united in it's efforts towards competition and that was heartening. I was able to just train and bring myself to my best condition towards Nationals. Because I was able to perform my best at Nationals, it became important that I maintain my peak for the 4 Continents Championship in February and Worlds in March so I discussed this with my coach.

Since it went well this time, it's all about how to create the peak condition for World Championships. For example, in daily practice, to have a training load fine tuned so that leaves me a little tired but with a little energy left over. After a skating session, It's also important to have the courage to rest if you feel tired. It's my second year since moving to Brian. My current aim is that it's not just about learning new things, but also training so that I can demonstrate my skill in competition.

TBC...

As always with translations, feedback from other Japanese speakers is welcome. If you spot an error, please comment.

Appreciate the translation !! :clap::thank:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

TBC...

Thank you so much! I know it’s a ton of work and super time consuming to translate, but it is much, much appreciated! A machine translation can give us a rough idea of what was said, but can sometimes be super confusing. I can’t wait to hear about Jason and evil! :devil:

On another note, I really loved seeing the pictures and clips of Jason, Yuzu, and Jun from the medal ceremony and gala. It was great to see how comfortable they are with each other, and it was really fun to see how silly Yuzu is capable of being. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you Interspectator! I have a friend who lived in Japan for 15 years and she still struggles with translation. Direct translation word for word, is so different from the actual meaning. It's a real art. You did a beautiful job!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you again @Interspectator:clap: And it’s not just the last group, but skating last, that Jason is accustomed to doing. Of course he would be as aware of it as we are.

And that Schindler’s List teddy bear is just too cute, although Tracy is certainly giving it the once over ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If anyone hasn't seen these up-close-and-personal pics from the 4CC FS K&C, they're worth a look. :)
https://twitter.com/tarte_ispahan/status/1230836306059513856

Thanks for the new xlation updates, Interspectator!

Thanks for posting these! This person also has a lot of other great shots - love these:

https://twitter.com/tarte_ispahan/status/1230853471995191296?s=20
https://twitter.com/tarte_ispahan/status/1230837882354466816?s=20

I also love the caption of this: :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B82FPXQgnJK/?igshid=1dka6652r215s