Jason Brown | Page 707 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thank you @YukiNieve for the communication, reassurance from Steve himself is definitely comforting in this devastating moment. I agree it's Jason who is the most gutted of all ATM. Let's hope for his shining presence at Skate America, at 100% :pray::love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm still a little surprised that we haven't really heard more about Jason's injury. Why are they being so secretive? And I honestly can't imagine his parents saying anything other than "he'll be fine" or "he's okay!"

Hoping he's ready for Skate America. I sure am! Can't wait to get this season started.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm still a little surprised that we haven't really heard more about Jason's injury. Why are they being so secretive? And I honestly can't imagine his parents saying anything other than "he'll be fine" or "he's okay!"

Hoping he's ready for Skate America. I sure am! Can't wait to get this season started.

You know how they say no news is good news? :) I’m hoping that’s the case here. To my knowledge he’s only ever withdrawn from two other competitions due to injury (NHK 2015, Nats 2016), and in both cases he was silent until the withdrawal announcement. I’m guessing he’s still hoping to compete at Skate America (and I hope he is, too!) and doesn’t want to put out too much info right now for that reason. If he does have to withdraw from Skate America, I’m guessing we’ll get more info then. While I’m sure he’s grateful things aren’t worse, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s also been pretty frustrated, especially given this wasn’t a training injury but most likely due to someone else’s careless driving.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You know how they say no news is good news? :) I’m hoping that’s the case here.

But it is not always. We had no news for months. And then Joshua just...disappeared off the Nationals warmup groups. And then we did not hear from him again until that dreadful July morning.

I am sorry. I should not be bring sadness into Jason's thread. But I am so afraid. They told us Joshua would be all right, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We don’t know a whole lot of details one way or another. It’s really premature to panic.

And Jason is not Josh either so comparing the two scenarios is moot.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
But it is not always. We had no news for months. And then Joshua just...disappeared off the Nationals warmup groups. And then we did not hear from him again until that dreadful July morning.

I am sorry. I should not be bring sadness into Jason's thread. But I am so afraid. They told us Joshua would be all right, too.

Karne, I understand. Without information, it can be hard not to worry, and sometimes it’s harder than others. The fact that we don’t know much can make it easy to imagine the worst. But Jason and his family have chosen not to share details, so we just have to accept it. I think all of us are super disappointed we won’t be seeing him skate next week, and all of us are wondering how he’s feeling, what’s going on. We just have to hope for the best.

It’s really terrible that Josh was forced to stop skating due to concussion. But it’s good to remember that quite a few people - even elite athletes - suffer concussions and recover fully. Not all concussions have life-changing, career-ending results. I think it’s also good to remember that it’s not the silence that caused Josh’s concussion or forced him to step away from the sport he loved and was so good at. So the fact that he was silent then, and that Jason is silent now, doesn’t mean anything about Jason’s outcome. Hopefully Jason will be lucky. Hopefully he is well on his way to full recovery and we’ll get to see those beautiful new programs soon.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it's so hard not to worry about.:drama:

But having just watched the US Classic Pairs. Ashley Cain suffered an obvious concussion. That everyone saw. (I'm not talking about the comp, that's not the point here). The point is that she came back for Nats, and 4Continents, and Worlds.

So there are "good" examples too.

And we *need* to see Jason's Schindler's List:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also it's important to note that Josh didn't have just ONE concussion. He had multiple concussions that lead to major brain injury. I feel really bad for Josh and hated that his career was cut short because of it -- but I don't think it's a good idea to come to even think that is where Jason is heading.

It's a strange world where we've heard more from Yuzu than Jason these days though!

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
It would be nice to know what is going on, but I might be worried more about the silence if he hadn't already been pretty much in silent mode. He's changed his modus operandi regarding social media over the past several months and isn't posting about things they way he used to. For what it's worth (probably nothing), he liked a couple of things on Twitter yesterday and your'e not supposed to be looking at screens if experiencing any symptoms as a result of a concussion. I'm still of the mindset that they are just being very cautious. Oberstdorf isn't exactly at a high elevation but it's higher than Vegas and there would be less oxygen than at sea level. Weighing everything, they/he might have just decided it wasn't worth the stress of travel and competition for a Challenger event and it would be better for him to stay put for a few weeks longer. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also worth noting that Jean-Luc Baker and Kaitlin Hawayek also had to W/D from challenger events early last season due to a concussion (him) and they came back quite nicely in the second half of the season.

I also am of the mindset he/his team are being cautious. Jason's talked a lot about the long-game last season and this is part of that process.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
As I've mentioned many times (sorry, but that's my experience) I raised a rugby player. A rugby player who had several concussions and thankfully not horribly serious ones. I can only say that I'm so glad that concussions are managed the way they are today with dedication and caution, no matter how serious they are. Whether or not Jason's father was taking the "company stance" or whether or not Jason is fine right now, clearly his team is not taking any chances and that's a very good thing.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Guys & Gals, dont worry too much.
Yuzuru goes into a longer silent mode, months with no news whether he could participate in 2018 OG & 2019 WC.
Then he just appears & do his thing.

So, Jason quietness isnt that surprising.

MGstyle

Medalist
My head tells me not to panic, A. this is not the first time he went into a prolonged silent mode. B. probably the prognosis is incomplete and some factors need to be observed further, so they are not laying it out in public to avoid unwanted speculation in the media and unnecessary anxiety among the fans. - which doesn't necessarily mean a "bad news".
But for us group of "protective mother hens", it's oh, so hard... :sad21:

Ross74

Medalist
Guys & Gals, dont worry too much.
Yuzuru goes into a longer silent mode, months with no news whether he could participate in 2018 OG & 2019 WC.
Then he just appears & do his thing.

So, Jason quietness isnt that surprising.

So we can blame Yuzu for influencing Jason's silence. Got it. :laugh: Actually, this is beginning to get to me a little. It doesn't help that Nebelhorn is underway. I plan to only watch Pairs and Dance. Can't bring myself to watch Men's.

Hope you're doing well, Jason!

noskates

Record Breaker
Just saw the outcome of the SP at Nebelhorn and the prejudiced me could only imagine how well Jason would have done against those competitors. I realize and accept fully that we have no way of knowing if he would have skated clean, etc. but I still want to believe he would have nailed it. Can't wait for Skate America but the competition there will be a lot harder.

MGstyle

Medalist
Oh damn, saw finally a new post on this thread and hurried over, thinking someone found some updates on him at long last :palmf::drama:
but really, I share your thoughts @noskates... and let's pray that he will actually be there (SA) at 100%!!