Jason Brown | Page 796 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Ross74

Medalist
Thanks, noskates! I love that program!

As long as we're here, here's a new NBCSports article on TCC and its skaters with quotes from the coaches and Jason. Brian and Tracy talk about the skaters and the possibility of a GP series.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020...enia-medvedeva-jason-brown-grand-prix-series/

ETA: Had to comment on this Hersh quote from the article.
Whether Brown picks Skate Canada over Skate America – if he gets a choice – could depend on when (and if) the Canadian government shortens quarantine periods for travelers from the United States.

Why would there even be a question about this? In a normal GP season, Jason, as the #2 U.S. man, would not be an option for SA, right? So it makes no sense to even think of crossing borders when SC is right there where he trains.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, noskates! I love that program!

As long as we're here, here's a new NBCSports article on TCC and its skaters with quotes from the coaches and Jason. Brian and Tracy talk about the skaters and the possibility of a GP series.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020...enia-medvedeva-jason-brown-grand-prix-series/

ETA: Had to comment on this Hersh quote from the article.

Why would there even be a question about this? In a normal GP season, Jason, as the #2 U.S. man, would not be an option for SA, right? So it makes no sense to even think of crossing borders when SC is right there where he trains.

Jason often does skate SKAM, but I anticipate that he'll do SCI this year. It makes the most sense. But Brian doesn't make that decision. He was being diplomatic. It does depend on the situation and whether a 2 week quarantine would be necessary on both ends. That's a problem for the coaches.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't imagine Jason doing any comp other than Skate Canada. His entry into Canada was not guaranteed and he had to quarantine for two weeks after.

Without a "home crowd", (and I can't imagine a crowd) it is not worth losing another two weeks of training just to attend a mini US Nats. Not when he can be, as far as I can tell, the only non-Canadian men's skater who could physically attend a Skate Canada event. At least so far.

And he can catch up with all the US ice dancers at what looks to be a killer Ice Dance event:biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Not when he can be, as far as I can tell, the only non-Canadian men's skater who could physically attend a Skate Canada event. At least so far. ...

Julian Yee is in Canada, AFAIK? I don't think he has gone back to Malaysia?

Mark Gorodnitsky could be another non-Canadian possibility for Skate Canada?

[And I wonder whether Vincent quietly has made his way into Canada at this point ... or is planning to do so before long, now that the ISU has announced that the GP season is going forward (with modifications).]

I can't imagine Jason doing any comp other than Skate Canada. His entry into Canada was not guaranteed and he had to quarantine for two weeks after.

Without a "home crowd", (and I can't imagine a crowd) it is not worth losing another two weeks of training just to attend a mini US Nats. ...

Anyway, I mostly agree that it would make sense for Jason to stay in Canada.

That said, an advantage of Skate America that comes immediately to mind is that while he is in the U.S., he would have a chance to see his family (not necessarily at Skate America itself). Another thing is that USFS maybe would want to do some in-person work with him? (The type of on-ice and off-ice stuff that normally would take place at Champs Camp, but that still would be beneficial looking ahead to GPF :pray:, Four Continents :pray:, and/or Worlds :pray:, if any of those really can happen.)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Without a "home crowd", (and I can't imagine a crowd) it is not worth losing another two weeks of training just to attend a mini US Nats. Not when he can be, as far as I can tell, the only non-Canadian men's skater who could physically attend a Skate Canada event. At least so far.

And he can catch up with all the US ice dancers at what looks to be a killer Ice Dance event:biggrin:

Vince is presumed to be in the US, but he might be able to get back into Canada if the border opens. A lot depends on what kind of Visa he has. If he's not actually enrolled at Brown, he might be able to apply for a work Visa and that would make it a little easier. Cha might be allowed back at some point as well. But he probably has a student Visa. Who knows what the next 2 months will bring!

Ross74

Medalist
Vince is presumed to be in the US, but he might be able to get back into Canada if the border opens. A lot depends on what kind of Visa he has. If he's not actually enrolled at Brown, he might be able to apply for a work Visa and that would make it a little easier. Cha might be allowed back at some point as well. But he probably has a student Visa. Who knows what the next 2 months will bring!

One thing about international skaters returning to Canada is who they will be traveling with. Jason was by himself. Many of the other skaters travel and live with their moms. For TCC that is Cha, Medvedeva, Hanyu, Binzari, Kurakova... And then there's Zhou whose mom seems to stick pretty close. It might make a difference if they are a minor, but I wouldn't expect family members of adult skaters to be able to cross the border with that skater unless there is a drastic change in the situation. Might that keep them from even trying until things are wide open?

I was excited when the plans for a modified GP series were announced. I didn't care that competitions would be uneven or more like a Nationals. I was just happy that the skaters might have an opportunity to do something, and I was pleased that it was described as skaters skating in the country where they live or train. That made sense to me and seemed to be a decent attempt to keep things safe. But now I'm reading how certain skaters should travel to another country for a more advantageous position because their comp will be too competitive or too nationalistic, or their fed doesn't like them, or whatever, and it's ruining my mood. :disapp: Just be thankful for what could be. Does anyone even care about the results of a modified GP this year? I'm still somewhat hopeful but I can't imagine any skater traveling to another country for one of these events if there was already a comp in the country where they are training. That sort of defeats one of the points in modifying the GP to make it safer. Anyway, just a little grumpy today. Happy weekend!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Seems to me that if (?) Vincent wants to resume training in Canada, his chances of gaining entry would be much the same as for Jason and Hawayek/Baker, who all succeeded in crossing the border. (Jason on his second attempt.)

As el henry said, Jason's entry was not guaranteed, and the same would be true for Vincent.

But I don't see any reason why USFS and Skate Canada would not provide documentation in support of Vincent, as they did for Jason.

To me, it seems that the possible absence of Vincent's mother in Canada would not necessarily be a "deal-breaker" for him to train there.
I think the primary question is whether Vincent feels that working with Barkell in person is a "must" -- akin to Jason's in-person work with his TCC coaches. (A "must" from the skater's point of view, I mean. Whether Canadian border officials consider it "essential" is a separate question -- and obviously a crucial one.)

Re Peggy Fleming Trophy:

Maybe I am the last to know, but I belatedly have realized that for his win in 2020, Jason apparently earned an actual physical trophy to keep?
As opposed to his winner's plaque for 2019 (plus medal).

The 2020 champion's trophy is of an abstract design (maybe intended to resemble a flame?): https://secureservercdn.net/45.40.1...ontent/uploads/2020/07/IMG_6829-1152x1536.jpg (image from http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/2020-peggy-fleming-trophy-recap/)
In hindsight, I think this trophy also can be seen in the competition video (for example, at 1:47:11 and 1:46:58 -- in the distant background behind Peggy, in the bottom right corner of her video box).

The other physical trophy, which has been familiar since PFT's inaugural year -- the bigger one with the sculpture depicting a skater -- seems to be the "permanent"-type of trophy that is not for winners to keep.​

noskates

Record Breaker
As far as I'm concerned - 2020 is a lost but exceptional year. Nothing is as it should be, we're living differently, working differently and life as we knew it is not the same. I'm just ready to see some skating. I don't think the outcome of any of the competitions will have real meaning in the overall scheme of things but just let these skaters compete and skate for the experience and the preparation for a better year in 2021 (hopefully) Let them hang on to that competitive edge and work toward something, anything. I would be very disappointed if skaters started traveling JUST to get an advantage - thereby risking their health and potentially that of others. Skate where you are......regardless. So Ross, I totally agree with you. As much as I love figure skating, it's just a sport and not worth risking your life to participate in it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with @Ross74, that people would try to "game the system" in these times, when all I want to do is see some skating:dev2: And I could care less if it replicates the real GP. Does anyone seriously think the bubble replicates the real NBA?:biggrin:

I think the issue with overseas skaters, since nothing is guaranteed, is that a second try for any of them would be logistically far more difficult than with Jason (and even Jason ended up driving to another border crossing close to 600 miles away :eeking:with additional paperwork. ).

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think that Vince's case is the same as Jason's. Jason has been training in Canada for over 2 years now. He is 25 years old, not a student and most likely is considered a temporary resident or he has a work visa or both. H&B may be in the same situation. I don't know what the deciding factor was. Jason presented very different paperwork when he crossed from Buffalo than he presented at Sault Ste. Marie. The younger skaters most likely have student visas. They are all minors and are still officially students. Vince trained in Canada for a few months last year. He may have had a visitor's visa. He probably applied for something more permanent, but we don't know if he was approved. He is not a minor in the US. I don't know what the rules in Canada are. If he can get a work Visa and the same sort of paperwork that Jason got, they probably would allow him in. But we don't know what he has. What Brian did say is that they want assurance that skaters who are flying in from Europe and Asia are going to be allowed to enter before any of them attempt it. If they are denied, they are stuck at the airport until a new decision is made or they have to return to their home country. It's much easier crossing the border from the US if you are turned down. But I see no real benefit for Jason to risk border crossings to compete at SKAM.

As far as I know, Satoko stayed in Canada, but I am not certain of that. Alyssa Liu was supposed to be training with Lee Barkell this summer and Fall, and she hasn't gained admission to Canada as far as anyone knows. It's a very complicated situation. What we do know is that Jason is in Canada and what we can assume is that he'll compete in Canada. There is no good reason for him to compete anywhere else.

Ross74

Medalist
.....And I could care less if it replicates the real GP. Does anyone seriously think the bubble replicates the real NBA?
Exactly! I'm sitting here watching NHL right now and enjoying it. I was thrilled when MLB started, even though the empty stadiums took getting used to. It also helps that the Rockies are doing great. ;) Hey, even my hometown O's aren't doing horribly. Sorry not sorry about last night, Nats. :) We don't even watch NBA outside of the playoffs, and we're watching that. :laugh: I'm just ready for some action.

As far as I'm concerned - 2020 is a lost but exceptional year. Nothing is as it should be, we're living differently, working differently and life as we knew it is not the same. I'm just ready to see some skating. I don't think the outcome of any of the competitions will have real meaning in the overall scheme of things but just let these skaters compete and skate for the experience and the preparation for a better year in 2021 (hopefully) Let them hang on to that competitive edge and work toward something, anything. I would be very disappointed if skaters started traveling JUST to get an advantage - thereby risking their health and potentially that of others. Skate where you are......regardless. So Ross, I totally agree with you. As much as I love figure skating, it's just a sport and not worth risking your life to participate in it.

Agree so much. :2thumbs: I'm so ready to see some new skating. If this is able to happen and happen safely, there will be no bathroom breaks for me. I will gladly watch each and every skater. If it's streamed. :scratch2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I too do not like the idea of anyone "gaming the system" of the modified GP series. :agree:

In hindsight, I realize that I should bend over backward to be super-clear on my thoughts re Vincent :):

I was NOT saying that I think Vincent's motivation for returning to Canada would be an attempt to strategize where his GP assignment will be.

When I said that maybe he will want to return to Canada before long -- with the recent knowledge that the GP series is going forward -- I meant that the general timeframe for the start of the competitive season now has been established (although it still is subject to change).

I was drawing a contrast to the the hypothetical opposite scenario that the ISU announcement a few days ago was that the GP series was completely canceled.
Which would have meant that the next "obvious" competition for U.S. skaters would not be until Nats in January (assuming for now that it will be held).
Which would have meant that perhaps Vincent would feel a bit less self-imposed time pressure to resume in-person training with his coach of choice -- who happens to be in Canada. Which happens to have a two-week quarantine requirement until further notice.​

Just my opinion, but I am not convinced that Jason has a work visa for Canada. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does.
I don't know what the requirements are for temporary resident status. Maybe Jason has it, maybe Vincent too, maybe neither has it.

Canadian border officials allowed Jason and H/B to re-enter, but we have not been privy to the exact basis/bases for the favorable decisions.

Go, Jason. :yay:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Julian Yee is in Canada, AFAIK? I don't think he has gone back to Malaysia?

Mark Gorodnitsky could be another non-Canadian possibility for Skate Canada?

.)
Julian Yee was back on ice at Mariposa on 30 June according to his Instagram post. + from the background of the various pictures he took it did not look like he came back to Malaysia.

Vincent Zhou was in Los Angeles with Misha Ge doing choreography on 18 July if the pictures are up to date.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Vincent Zhou was in Los Angeles with Misha Ge doing choreography on 18 July if the pictures are up to date.

Yes, but the thing is that we are not in the loop re Vincent's whereabouts since three weeks ago.

A bit of an update is that just hours ago, Sylvia posted on FSU that Vincent at least is on the entry list for Cup of Colorado, which is coming up in a few days.

If Vincent really does compete at Cup of Colorado, then we'll have confirmation that he still is in the U.S.

In the case of Jason, there was a photograph of him at a U.S. rink on Jun 12.
Until Jul 2, we did not find out that Jun 23 was the date that he entered Canada. Plus we learned at the same time that he attempted to enter on Jun 14, but was unsuccessful.
(Until Jul 1, we did not know of his entry into Canada at all.)
In other words: It is possible for us to be in the dark that our most recent knowledge of anyone has become out of date -- within just a couple of weeks or even a couple of days. As you noted by saying, "... if the pictures are up to date."

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A comment from Katya indicated that her visa was different from some of the other skaters, so she was not able to get back to TCC at this time. I assumed that meant that she had a visitor's visa or a student visa. Jason wouldn't have either of those. Whatever he's got, he got back in once his work was considered essential. He did say he applied for admission as an essential worker, so that lead me to conclude that he had a work visa. Skating is his job and his coaches are Canadian, so their livelihood depends on Jason, Yuzu etc. Jason gets money from the USFSA to skate, so it's his job. That was my line of reasoning. I know no more than anyone else on this matter. I do know that he wouldn't have been admitted on a visitor's visa from the US, so he's got something else.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think that Vince's case is the same as Jason's. Jason has been training in Canada for over 2 years now. He is 25 years old, not a student and most likely is considered a temporary resident or he has a work visa or both. H&B may be in the same situation. I don't know what the deciding factor was. Jason presented very different paperwork when he crossed from Buffalo than he presented at Sault Ste. Marie. The younger skaters most likely have student visas. They are all minors and are still officially students. Vince trained in Canada for a few months last year. He may have had a visitor's visa. He probably applied for something more permanent, but we don't know if he was approved. He is not a minor in the US. I don't know what the rules in Canada are. If he can get a work Visa and the same sort of paperwork that Jason got, they probably would allow him in. But we don't know what he has. What Brian did say is that they want assurance that skaters who are flying in from Europe and Asia are going to be allowed to enter before any of them attempt it. If they are denied, they are stuck at the airport until a new decision is made or they have to return to their home country. It's much easier crossing the border from the US if you are turned down. But I see no real benefit for Jason to risk border crossings to compete at SKAM.

As far as I know, Satoko stayed in Canada, but I am not certain of that. Alyssa Liu was supposed to be training with Lee Barkell this summer and Fall, and she hasn't gained admission to Canada as far as anyone knows. It's a very complicated situation. What we do know is that Jason is in Canada and what we can assume is that he'll compete in Canada. There is no good reason for him to compete anywhere else.

It's even worse than being turned back and having to fly back. The airlines pre-screen for admissibility before they allow people to board planes. There are reports of people not allowed on planes because the airline mis-interprets the admissibility rules (for example, Canadians flying from Canada to the US, or close relatives of Canadians trying to fly to Canada).

I believe the airlines pre-screen vigorously because they have to fly rejected passengers back to their origin AT THE AIRLINE'S EXPENSE. Of course, with half-full planes, that shouldn't be much of a problem, but airlines don't like to do anything for free!

So, returning skaters have to pass two screenings: one by their airline and one from the Canadian government.

For Jason to go to SKAM, he would have to (at least) go through a 14-days of self-isolation on his return, in addition to the anxiety over whether he would be let in again. Any coach who accompanied him would also have to go through 14-day period; that 14-days would include Skate Canada.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since Jason meets the criteria for SCI, I can't see a scenario that would put him at SKAM. The US has Nathan, possibly Vince, Tomoki, Camden. Alex, and others for whom SKAM is the only option. So SKAM is already full of US skaters. Vince is a bigger question mark than Jason. I'm sure he planned to be in Canada by now. But there is a chance that Vince will be in Canada and compete at SCI. It's going to be interesting. The scores won't really count for anything, but it's good for the skaters and coaches to get this feedback. And nice for us, the fans, so see some good skating. I for one, am looking forward to it. I hope that they are actually able to do this with no serious risk to anyone involved.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Since Jason meets the criteria for SCI, I can't see a scenario that would put him at SKAM. The US has Nathan, possibly Vince, Tomoki, Camden. Alex, and others for whom SKAM is the only option. So SKAM is already full of US skaters. Vince is a bigger question mark than Jason. I'm sure he planned to be in Canada by now. But there is a chance that Vince will be in Canada and compete at SCI. It's going to be interesting. The scores won't really count for anything, but it's good for the skaters and coaches to get this feedback. And nice for us, the fans, so see some good skating. I for one, am looking forward to it. I hope that they are actually able to do this with no serious risk to anyone involved.

And SCI could be quite a nice field? Jason, possibly Vincent, Nam, Keegan? (how would that work with him training in Alaska I believe?), Roman and the other canadian skaters... This is assuming ofc that Hanyu & Cha don't attempt to travel back. Are there any other male skaters training in Canada? Jason could be in with a shout of a "Grand Prix" gold... :clap:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If Keegan is a Canadian citizen and I assume that he is since he competed for Canada at the Olympics, he has the right to re-enter Canada, but will have to quarantine for 2 weeks in Canada. Is his coach a US citizen or a Canadian citizen? That could pose difficulty. Not sure where SCI is going to be this year, but it might be easier for Keegan to get to SKAM than SCI, depending on where they actually happen. He wouldn't have to cross a border or quarantine as long as he flies to SKAM. Yuzu's situation is complicated. He has a training situation set up in Japan, so he might be inclined to stay where he is and compete at NHK. I expect that NHK would want that. Cha may be allowed back in at the end of August. He'd have to quarantine for two weeks also. But yes, Roman, Conrad Orzel, maybe Joseph Phan. Stephen Gogolev is of age this year, but has been training in Cali, so he may qualify to skate SCI or SKAM. It is interesting to speculate and will be interesting to see what happens.