Jason Brown | Page 743 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not like this under the radar Jason, it’s bad for my nerves.:eek:

Am I totally making up that Jason missed the first practice in an earlier comp, maybe to make myself feel better? In any event he did put out the traditional Ronald McDonald House tweet, so theoretically he really is planning on showing up.:biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist
]

Am I totally making up that Jason missed the first practice in an earlier comp, maybe to make myself feel better?

He missed the first practice in Detroit last year, and I'm thinking he did the same thing at another comp, but can't remember for sure.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
When he was with Kori I think he always attended all practices. Since he’s been at TCC I’m pretty sure he missed the first practice for Nats last year but I don’t know about international comps.

The SP draw is probably after practice tomorrow. I’m guessing he’ll be there.

Ross74

Medalist
The Montreal ice dancers were still traveling yesterday at the time of their first official practice. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. :laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, Jason is in da House:biggrin:

According to the Japanese Fan Club Twitter, (courtesy of Google translate) he went straight to the autograph session from the airport. Developing Canadian travel habits;)

Ross74

Medalist
OK, Jason is in da House:biggrin:

According to the Japanese Fan Club Twitter, (courtesy of Google translate) he went straight to the autograph session from the airport. Developing Canadian travel habits;)

Thanks, el H. Good to know!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Based on the practice cam and Jackie’s practice notes, Jason looks okay, but is still struggling with 4T and is inconsistent on 3A. Hopefully that will improve by tomorrow.

On another note, am I crazy, or is there is no thread for the men’s SP in the competition forum?

ETA Jason skates in the final group, third to last.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Based on the practice cam and Jackie’s practice notes, Jason looks okay, but is still struggling with 4T and is inconsistent on 3A. Hopefully that will improve by tomorrow.

On another note, am I crazy, or is there is no thread for the men’s SP in the competition forum?

ETA Jason skates in the final group, third to last.

You are not crazy. There seems to be no thread at all for Men. I thought Jason looked good in general. The quad attempts were not great. The bobbled 3A landing was unfortunate, but I anticipate him clearing that up if he keeps his nerves in check. Excellent article by Phil Hersh (with the inevitable quad query) posted today. It mentions that his coaching team is pushing him hard and trying to subvert his reversion to old habits under pressure. This has led to some inconsistency, but it is a major part of his 4 year plan. Jason's goal for this comp is World's and keeping 3 spots for the Men. Doable, I think.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You are not crazy. There seems to be no thread at all for Men. I thought Jason looked good in general. The quad attempts were not great. The bobbled 3A landing was unfortunate, but I anticipate him clearing that up if he keeps his nerves in check. Excellent article by Phil Hersh (with the inevitable quad query) posted today. It mentions that his coaching team is pushing him hard and trying to subvert his reversion to old habits under pressure. This has led to some inconsistency, but it is a major part of his 4 year plan. Jason's goal for this comp is World's and keeping 3 spots for the Men. Doable, I think.

Thanks!

For those like me who haven’t read the article yet, here’s a link;

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/01/24/jason-brown-national-championships/

ETA it’s an excellent article. Based on the fact that they spoke right before Jason left Toronto, it sounds like USFS has changed its practice with respect to media calls.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I think skating in a group separate from Nathan and Vincent might be good for Jason - away from the quadsters and less pressure so he can smash that clean short (I NEED to see it clean!!)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do love that Jason such a sense of humor about the Q word:

Brown laughed when I brought up the subject by saying, “This wouldn’t be a conversation between Phil and Jason if I didn’t ask about the quad.”
“Of course,” he said. “I don’t think it’s a conversation with anyone without it coming up.”

:laugh:

Ross74

Medalist
I refused to let myself come in this thread until I had all my errands done in preparation for spending 7 hours in front of a screen the rest of the day. :) It was good to hear that Jason did okay in his practice this morning. The Hersh article was pretty good, mainly because of Jason talking about his inconsistencies. It must be so frustrating for him to not understand why he's having more of a struggle. I like Tracy's comment about Jason needing to leave his comfort zone in order to achieve his goals. She also says he's ready for this competition, and that makes me a bit more relaxed. Time for RD!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I do love that Jason such a sense of humor about the Q word:

Brown laughed when I brought up the subject by saying, “This wouldn’t be a conversation between Phil and Jason if I didn’t ask about the quad.”
“Of course,” he said. “I don’t think it’s a conversation with anyone without it coming up.”

:laugh:
I think that was rueful laughter. And why he stays out of the media spotlight.

But the information that Brian and Tracy are pushing him technically and forcing the changeover is important information. He's just at the 18 month mark and as they pulled back last year and with the concussion this year, the schedule is delayed and he probably needs more time. He's not 19. He's had YEARS of doing the jump technique that ultimately served him poorly, so it takes time to fix that. He's done a remarkable job over this past year and a half. His potential is visible and we hope he achieves it. I believe that he can as long as he can avoid injury and damage.

But I'm sure he's sick of quad questions. He has no new answers.

Ross74

Medalist
Brian Orser answered questions from Patianage about his students while in Graz for Euros. https://patinagemagazine.com/en/news/brian-orser-comments-about-his-students-in-graz

Just a couple of brief Jason mentions:

P.M.: Jason Brown is now doing U.S. Nationals, how is he?
B.O.: Great! Jason has been training really well. He is prepared. He has big GOEs, spins, steps… We try to maximize as much as possible what he has. The system is designed for it!
P.M.: What about his quad?
B.O.: You know, it’s difficult at that stage to get a quad, or get it back… But it’s going quite well in practice. According to how they feel (at U.S. Nationals), they will decide the right thing to do.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Brian Orser answered questions from Patianage about his students while in Graz for Euros. https://patinagemagazine.com/en/news/brian-orser-comments-about-his-students-in-graz

Just a couple of brief Jason mentions:

Brian is right.He usually is. The goal this season is World's. Depending on how the short goes, they can decide whether to go for a squeaky clean long or risk the quad. If he can make the team and risk the quad, they'll probably go for it. If it looks like it could cost him the spot, they may choose not to try it. It would be great for Jason to get that quad burden off his back, but his goals are different from others. Really, only Nathan and Yuzu have reliable quads internationally, with a few men who can land them at a fairly good percentage. And those skaters can win comps. But except for Nathan, Yuzu and now maybe Shoma, no one else is really consistent from comp to comp. So Jason is best playing to his strengths and skating for high GOEs. But Jason really does want to land a quad cleanly in competition and get to the Olympics. So I hope that at some point, now or later, he does it. I know that he can.

Ross74

Medalist
Boy I love waking up to some juicy skating drama! :drama:

Just popped in to wish Jason well with the short today. I'm vowing to stay off line until Pairs this afternoon and spend a few hours away from the house clearing my head and trying to get my eyes to re-focus. It's kind of cool that three former training mates from Monument are in the last group. Sending you lots of love, Jason!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
The Short Programme will be kicking off at 6:30pm for me which means it’s entirely acceptable for me to crack open a bottle of wine whilst in bed so i can drink away the nerves i have for jason. Kinda glad the ladies free at Euros is on at the same time as I can watch that when it’s time for Jason to skate - I’m waaaaay too nervous to watch him and will have to pause the screen until I can bare to check his scores! Everything crossed we get that exquisite free clean!

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just watched the men's practice on Sports Gold and Jason was looking good!

Good luck, Jason! :cheer: