Jason Brown | Page 702 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone follow Jordan Cowan's Patreon? Is the entire program there?

I had the same thought;). I don't know what his post means: is it just in better video, or is there more. More is :luv17:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Regarding last year’s free skate, it always seemed to me that someone suggested Old Friends/Hazy Shade of Winter and the coaching team just jumped on it - ooh, yeah, all these changes in his life, end of one road, loss of dreams, moving away from friends and only coach he’s ever known - perfect! Brilliant! He’ll totally relate to it! And Jason totally didn’t. Instinctively he knew it wasn’t a good choice. But he acquiesced because his whole goal was to reinvent himself.

Hopefully there were lessons learned for him, DW, and the entire team. Don’t pick music because intellectually you think it will suit a skater. In your quest for change, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. In respecting your new coaching team, don’t forget to respect yourself and trust your own instincts.

One other thing: if this is the kind of iconic program The Piano was, don’t make the mistake of doing it two years in a row, so that if you want to bring it back for the Olympics, you can.

Good points!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having watched that clip, well, more than once;)

Maybe, just maybe, Jason and David are meshing:pray: DW can do great work incorporating a skater's strengths, I keep going back to Javi, so he's perfectly capable. And to be honest, these piece of music and Jason's performance, may not need Rohene type touches. Simpler may be better.

I agree with the general consensus for last year: Jason gave it the old college try to give his new team the benefit of the doubt. It didn't work as well as he hoped. And compared to what Rohene gave him, "average" looked even worse.

Now DW sees what Jason can do. Jason sees what happens when he takes more ownership. At least so far, everybody wins :)

And I am curious as to whether Jason suggested the music, and possibly feels even more committed as a result?

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
May I just say that I truly enjoy this thread. We don't always agree on every point but we always have good thoughts to back up our position. I think we all agree that Jason needed a change, that he probably sadly wasn't emotionally ready for one (Kori was like a third parent and Jason is nothing but loyal and loving) and that maybe it might have come too late. I hope the latter isn't true. Jason might be getting older but he's in good shape, doesn't carry extra weight, and has the desire to be the best he can be and his work ethic is remarkable. I love that he's obviously won Brian over and I think his efforts to reinvent himself have been very positive so far. This year will be a seminal year for him. I almost think it's a "make or break" year for him if he's to remain competitive internationally - not to mention in the US. There is still no one on the horizon in this country that skates with such passion, fluidity and performance skills. I pray he gets that damnable quad...or 2.

It's definitely not too late. His goal is to get to the Olympics. It's actually an achievable goal. He also wants to skate his best. That's a realistic goal also. He experienced failure and he learned from it and is moving on. I think he is truly one of the great skaters in competition now and if he avoids injury, he's got every reason to keep moving forward and enjoying what he does. I think he's in the right place and I think TCC believes that also. Yes, he does need a good solid quad, probably two, but he needs to have clean solid triples, a great 3A and consistent excellence in what he does and that will move him forward and increase his confidence. He's got more technical skills to draw on now and the artistic skills are phenomenal. If he can draw the audience in this year, that will be half the battle.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason’s program so far :cry::luv17: This looks like it will be really amazing.

As for coaches, I think Vincent has been with Tammy since a younger age than Nathan has been with Raf.

He's with her very part time. He's also working with Hamada. Hamada is making a huge difference in Vince's skating.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone follow Jordan Cowan's Patreon? Is the entire program there?

I believe it's the same clip but full screen. I do follow and contribute, but less than Patron level, so don't have access to the full size video. Jordan does need to monetize, but I wish he would look for sponsors, rather than just patrons.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Having watched that clip, well, more than once;)

Maybe, just maybe, Jason and David are meshing:pray: DW can do great work incorporating a skater's strengths, I keep going back to Javi, so he's perfectly capable. And to be honest, these piece of music and Jason's performance, may not need Rohene type touches. Simpler may be better.

I agree with the general consensus for last year: Jason gave it the old college try to give his new team the benefit of the doubt. It didn't work as well as he hoped. And compared to what Rohene gave him, "average" looked even worse.

Now DW sees what Jason can do. Jason sees what happens when he takes more ownership. At least so far, everybody wins :)

And I am curious as to whether Jason suggested the music, and possibly feels even more committed as a result?

I don't know who picked the music. Jason will probably talk about it at some point. But it's a good choice for him and it clearly has personal meaning.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I hope he competes this program in exactly what he’s wearing here - a plain old black tee shirt and pants. Or something equally simple. Please, please, please no period costumes.

I am wondering whether the 2A is a placeholder for the 3A or a 4S.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't even think about costume. It must be black and simple. (I looked up Paul Wylie's skate and he had gray pants and vest). I mean, I can't imagine what else it would be.

Well, the first jump could be a quad:scratch2: Although I'd almost rather have it be a 3A.... I don't want anything to disrupt the mood.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I didn't even think about costume. It must be black and simple. (I looked up Paul Wylie's skate and he had gray pants and vest). I mean, I can't imagine what else it would be.

Well, the first jump could be a quad:scratch2: Although I'd almost rather have it be a 3A.... I don't want anything to disrupt the mood.

Re costume: haven’t seen Paul Wylie’s. Josh had a grey knit top but that wouldn’t really suit Jason and I don’t think he’d want to copy Josh anyway. Re jumps, agreed, but it’s interesting to think what that it might be. We’ll know in a month or so, I guess. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hope he competes this program in exactly what he’s wearing here - a plain old black tee shirt and pants. Or something equally simple. Please, please, please no period costumes.

I am wondering whether the 2A is a placeholder for the 3A or a 4S.

That occurred to me also. Yes to the simple, austere costume. Actually hoping they do the quad later in the program when he's warmed up and more at ease. His jumps often get better throughout the program. Giving him a jump that he's really confident in is a great way to start the program and build confidence.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I think the most effective SL costume I've ever seen was Joshua's grey top - he looked like a ghost, or a spirit, or a wisp of memory. But I'm sure Jason wouldn't want his to look too much like Josh's.

That said - simple. Quiet. No stones or sparkles. No period piece. Maybe some gauze. Jason's too good for gimmicks - he doesn't need them. Let his skating show the story - and if that clip is any indication, that will be more than enough to bring people to tears.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It didn’t even occur to me to think of Josh’s costume, just because, as everyone has said, that costume is so Josh. And I figured Paul Wylie was far enough away to check out;) I don’t think gray, if only because Jason’s hair is lighter and I don’t know, it doesn’t seem right for him. I associate navy blue with Inner Love. So it’s black.

And now the “pre-season” has started when we speculate about Jason’s costumes:biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It didn’t even occur to me to think of Josh’s costume, just because, as everyone has said, that costume is so Josh. And I figured Paul Wylie was far enough away to check out;) I don’t think gray, if only because Jason’s hair is lighter and I don’t know, it doesn’t seem right for him. I associate navy blue with Inner Love. So it’s black.

And now the “pre-season” has started when we speculate about Jason’s costumes:biggrin:

Or pale blue. He looked very good in it for Liebestraume.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Random observation for nerds like me: it’s a bit hard to tell from the SL clip, but I think Jason may possibly be back in Jackson boots. :)

Imov

Medalist
I got so excited when Jason posted a part of his program in IG.
Yes its just a snippet, a very short one. But I was so intrigued nonetheless.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I think we should do a petition to have Jason skate every program of his that he ever skated, and Jordan the perspectives guy follow all of them to make a complete video of them. I would so totally buy it, if he sells it - one can dream, right :luv17:

Anyway this SL is a quantum leap compared to the S&G. I had seriously doubted Wilson, but it is pretty clear that he now has a profound grasp of Jason and how to display his quality to the max. Can't wait to see its debut at Nebelhorn. I must make sure to bring an extra large box of tissues.