Jason Brown | Page 718 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
By the spiral I was already a mess. How dare you, Jason? That was so beautiful. It will only get even more.

And a silver! :hap93:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Silver for Jason!!!! WOWOWOWOWOW! I can't express how happy I am for Jason! So amazing and that Free Skate was glorious!!!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was in a state of suspended animation during that skate. When it ended, it all rushed down on me. I could barely breathe. It was magnificent! And it will get better! I am so happy for him. He earned that silver!

Ross74

Medalist
Silver for Jason!!!! WOWOWOWOWOW! I can't express how happy I am for Jason! So amazing and that Free Skate was glorious!!!

NO WAY!!!! I don't' believe it! I didn't watch and just waited to see if this thread got updated. Sooooo happy for you JASON!!! Congrats!!! :yahoo:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Hey y’all, there’s probably nothing that can top that breathtaking skate he just had, but there’s some interesting news in this article!

“A quadruple jump will likely not figure into Brown’s free skate here at Skate America, although Tracy Wilson says he is consistently landing the quad Salchow in practices in Toronto.

“What happened is, our training got severely set back,” Wilson explained. “The salchow is beautiful. It’s an easy jump when he’s connecting, so it’s right there. The (quad) toe is coming.””

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hey y’all, there’s probably nothing that can top that breathtaking skate he just had, but there’s some interesting news in this article!

“A quadruple jump will likely not figure into Brown’s free skate here at Skate America, although Tracy Wilson says he is consistently landing the quad Salchow in practices in Toronto.

“What happened is, our training got severely set back,” Wilson explained. “The salchow is beautiful. It’s an easy jump when he’s connecting, so it’s right there. The (quad) toe is coming.””

YAY! If he can actually land them in competion he'll be at GPF and World's for sure. Almost hate to mess with the purity of SL, but it's a competition and he wants to compete. Even if he never outscores Nathan, I want to see him close in on him. And beat the rest of the world while he's at it! It was a beautiful skate. When that skate ended I started to think that he might actually get silver. Dmitri and Keegan are really good, but they aren't consistent and consistency is where Jason can compete.

Ross74

Medalist
Hey, Meryl posted that Jason will be with her on the Olympic Channel’s FB Live tomorrow. No details.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
i've had a lot of wine, but god damn jason's programme was beautiful. I'll be truly honest, no, I don't think the performance was 100% there. He seemed incredibly nervous/anxious prior to skating and you could see the concentration on landing those jumps in the first part.
however, with time i think this will grow into something spectacular.
That triple axel, right into a standstill on the beat of the music? Incredible :love:

I'm SO happy for him, considering the massive setback the accident must have caused, not just to physical training, but his confidence, a silver medal should be a massive boost. Though so incredibly deserved, his short programme is phenomenal and the free has the same potential. I'm so excited for Jason going forward this season :pray:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can hardly believe it. :shocked:

All I wanted was for Jason to land the darn axels and skate the performance he’s capable of, and then maybe hang onto 4th:pray:

Instead, he was the breathtaking highlight of the night:hap57:

These skates are why we :luv17: our boy.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can hardly believe it. :shocked:

All I wanted was for Jason to land the darn axels and skate the performance he’s capable of, and then maybe hang onto 4th:pray:

Instead, he was the breathtaking highlight of the night:hap57:

These skates are why we :luv17: our boy.

I'll quote Tracy: Jason is equally special in what he has to offer the sport. He wants the quads in there in order to control his destiny.” This was comparing him to Yuzu and Javi. Jason is a unique and special skater and has qualities no other skaters have. And those are the qualities that I saw in 2014 in Riverdance and why I am such a huge fan. It's a bonus that he is also one of the truly nice people on earth.

pianistliz

On the Ice
I am SO crazy happy for Jason!!! Gosh, that was breathtaking, spellbinding, and I don't even know how he can do that spiral like that. Honestly (sorry for being a doubter), while he's my favorite in this competition, I thought he'd probably get 4th, and then after the SP, I thought now he'll definitely be off the podium. I'm so proud of him right now. And so excited...I've never been to a competition live before, but I just got tickets for the US Nationals men's free skate a few days ago without having seen many of the men's programs yet. Now that I've seen Jason's, I'm EXTRA excited to be there!!!

noskates

Record Breaker
Gahhhhhhhhhhhh - I worked 9 hours today and missed all of it. Was thrilled when I finally got home and saw the results. I'm soooooooooooooo happy for Jason and feel like this is going to be a shot in the arm for him for the rest of the season. Now I must go find a video of his freeskate.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy - skating season is here and we have much to look forward to.

Okay. I am officially verklempt. That program was all I hoped it would be. The costume is beautiful and appropriate. David Wilson has outdone himself and choreographed to Jason's strengths. I know Jason usually starts out slow and by Nationals that program is going to be absolutely breathtaking.

Maybe I'm just really exhausted from work today but I'm so emotional right now.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was spellbound. Literally, I could not move, could hardly breathe, didn't dare blink.

Stunning. Stunning and beautiful. I cannot wait to see it at full power.

I just noticed Max posted a picture from Vegas...maybe he and Jason will have a meetup!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
David Wilson, come home. All is forgiven.

Love, Jason’s fans:biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I will repost my thoughts from FS thread written just after watching Jason. I have to say that this program takes a different spin on SL in my opinion and challenges general view on SL programs which makes Jason's FS stand out. And potentially become his signature program. Possibly his most mature program in terms of extending an emotion - a complex one - to the movement on ice. Regardless of it being the first performance, it moved me, deeply. Because of how anguish, the sense of loss and pain that music carries was conveyed with such dignity and beauty given by Jason's skating. I loved that theme/story was there, but was not the main focus - that the performance itself was made on its own right, by music, Jason's exquisite skating, interpretation, not adding that pathos aura, unecessary dramatism. The level of nuance Jason's skating & performing showed there is just stunning, it makes you stop your tracks and THINK. FEEL. RECEIVE. Be moved.

Re-watched only top 2 so far, haven't had it in me to stay up. And for me, regardless of order I watched it, the impression would be pretty much the same I think.

Taking into broader context Jason's situation training-wise, his concussion makes this FS performance truly remarkable. Yes, remarkable despite lack of so-called 'competitive tech difficulty' - it may sound silly for some, unreasonable even, but Jason's casus of a competitor combined with performances like his from FS proves for me that ultimately what counts is what you can make the best out of what you capable of. Paper do not jump, spin, skate & perform. Reputation can give You as much cushion as it can, but it is a pretty thin base to build on regarding assuring your result. And saying it in a context of ppl complaining about his medal (not even score that much from I have seen so far, which is also tellling a lot to me), I do see that Jason benefits from what he is capable of plus the quality of his performance/execution, but it can become competitive when others don't do the same regarding their content & capability, which looks to bother some folks. For me, Jason is one of few who truly embodies the sheer quality of skating/performing itself, making it his signature and you can only go up from there, if you have a strong, reliable base to build on, doing your best in first place since he cannot control what others do.

About the program - it made me look at this music in a bit different sentiment to it, even from this first go that was not perfect technically, but let me grasp the sense of what Jason want to do/where he want to go with this program (which is another of his strong qualities, that particularity of what he wants to convey as a performer, influencing your point of view). The way program is put together and how it is performed by Jason focused my attention on musical qualities, how they are reflected in movement, not making the theme/story behind that music a focal point of interpretation, not relying on it obviously, treating it as some kind of an interpretational shortcut or leverage (like it was in majority of SL's programs done in the past, with probably Joshua Farris exception only). Still, the program & performance of it shows an incredible sensibility & dignity towards the story/theme in my opinion - it could have been easily a field to throw Jason's all signature moves, his flexibility & showmanship to make it more 'attractive' or 'appealing' in its artistic variety, but the 'richness' of the program comes from much more subdued, quiet place, giving Jason space to show off how beautiful his skating is, but in more 'reflective' way I feel; and it is this sense of reflection over music, theme, skating, expression, movement that made me stop in tracks watching his performance today. With Jason, it is always about that moment of appreciating things on a longer run, feelings that lingers with me longer that just 4 mins performance - and this program gives substance to it. Of course, from purely competitive point of view it could use a quad (or two), more difficult combos etc., but these are things that would make a skater just more 'visible', not the message/substance more sound & louder I think. I do think that as he recovers, getting more training, the tech layer would be improved in his own, personal pace (I hope), but I think the 'big win' is that there's a depth to the program already, the sense of capturing moment by movement, making it important, beautiful and kind of sad, melancholic at the same time, not making both these feelings fighting with each other, but co-existing.

About the performance/interpretation - for me, it captures the essence of anguish and loss without using tragedy as a 'stage gimmick'. It gave me a feel of 'emotional void' that fills up slowly with sense of memory and beauty. One of Jason's most mature (if not the most mature) programs and his interpretation, amount of thought/consideration put in it, makes it truly unique to witness, the complexity of everything in it. The nuance level is so intricate there for me, the connection between his face & his body, the delicacy of these movement combined with sense of power they carry.

Really looking forward to how it will develop.