Jason Brown | Page 729 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

pianistliz

On the Ice
Can someone break down for me what placement Jason would need to make it to GPF? I want him to make the final SO bad!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That was so hard to watch, and I feel bad for Jason. :( I was so looking forward to seeing that beautiful program skated clean! What happened to him????? I know he still has a chance to pull up to fourth and make GPF, but he’s dug himself an awfully deep hole. And I guess whether he can right the ship tomorrow depends a lot on why he was so off today. Hopefully it’s something he can get control of. Fingers crossed!

ETA The US judge really hosed him on PCS. He seems to score harshly overall, but for Jason his scores were pretty much bottom 2/3. He gave him 7.75 for interpretation of music. Seriously?

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
i couldn’t handle watching it live and i’m glad i didn’t, knowing he imploded like that makes me sad. he looked REALLY nervous in the warm up.

he just needs to get to 4th place to qualify and currently he’s only 5 points off at the minute. He managed a come back free at Skate America, I will have everything crossed he can do it again tomorrow... ☹️

eaglehelang

Final Flight
<Sigh> I was surprised when Jason fell on the 3Lutz combo. It does makeme wonder if injury or the concussion causing him problem.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Of course we don’t really know, but it seems unlikely to be injury. With the exception of those two jumping passes, nothing seemed off, and the 3F and st sq were as gorgeous as ever. :) It would be really sad if he’s getting a recurrence of concussion symptoms, so I’m hoping very much that’s not it.

If it’s jet lag or nerves though...I really don’t know what to think. Jet lag is something you can plan for by arriving early - Shoma has frequently done this in the past. And if it’s nerves due to skating in Japan or trying to make GPF...it seems like that’s something they should have a handle on by now.

So I don’t know what to think. But I’ll hope for the best tomorrow!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Of course we don’t really know, but it seems unlikely to be injury. With the exception of those two jumping passes, nothing seemed off, and the 3F and st sq were as gorgeous as ever. :) It would be really sad if he’s getting a recurrence of concussion symptoms, so I’m hoping very much that’s not it.

If it’s jet lag or nerves though...I really don’t know what to think. Jet lag is something you can plan for by arriving early - Shoma has frequently done this in the past. And if it’s nerves due to skating in Japan or trying to make GPF...it seems like that’s something they should have a handle on by now.

So I don’t know what to think. But I’ll hope for the best tomorrow!

From my avowedly uneducated perspective, it seemed as if he developed a case of nerves and reverted back to his old way of jumping, which didn't work on the 3A and he couldn't turn it around for the 3LZ. I may be totally wrong, but that's what it looked like to me. Jackie Wong said he was too far inside the circle on the 3A. He had no explanation on the LZ except that it was out of character. Simply put, his head wasn't in the game. Why, is another story. Maybe it is the NHK curse. I hope that he can beat whatever it was or is when he skates tomorrow. Tomorrow will be high pressure. We'll see how it goes. I would say that 8 out of 12 skaters will be skating for redemption and three to hang on to their spots. Yuzu will just go out and skate the best that he can. I'm hoping that Jason will do that, just skate the best that he can. That would be great!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Certainly not the skate he was (and we were all) hoping for. The step sequence was great and full of emotions. Before that he looked quite tentative when we was going for the 3A. And then the lutz.

There’s still the FS. I am hoping he relaxes and just skates freely. Go, Jason!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Indeed, once I got over the initial shock, I realized it's not yet the end of the world. He only needs to have a solid good skate and finish 4th, 5 pts are more than possible for him to recover. If Ignatov finishes 3rd, Jason has to win the tie breaker, again he has a very good chance. He just need to concentrate on a good skate tomorrow, he has done it before more than once. Positive vibes!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
From my avowedly uneducated perspective, it seemed as if he developed a case of nerves and reverted back to his old way of jumping, which didn't work on the 3A and he couldn't turn it around for the 3LZ. I may be totally wrong, but that's what it looked like to me. Jackie Wong said he was too far inside the circle on the 3A. He had no explanation on the LZ except that it was out of character. Simply put, his head wasn't in the game. Why, is another story. Maybe it is the NHK curse. I hope that he can beat whatever it was or is when he skates tomorrow. Tomorrow will be high pressure. We'll see how it goes. I would say that 8 out of 12 skaters will be skating for redemption and three to hang on to their spots. Yuzu will just go out and skate the best that he can. I'm hoping that Jason will do that, just skate the best that he can. That would be great!

The thing is, he has had a case of nerves quite frequently since the Olympic year - most recently in the SP at SA and in the FS at Worlds last season. Is it so intractable that they can’t teach him to handle it? I can’t imagine that they didn’t at least consider that it might happen?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2g6G9JhDYE

I posted this once before in a thread discussing Gracie a couple of years ago ...
The famed actor Alan Rickman discusses in an interview with Charlie Rose "the gremlin that is stage fright" regarding his theatrical work.. what he says translates to figure skating, I think. He says it is useless, annoying, serves no purpose but almost impossible to eliminate. So frustrating for Jason, too, is the lack of a quad in competition... one "knows" he wants this more than anything, even beyond his letter perfect performances.. so it must weigh heavy, for sure..

doublequad

On the Ice
armchair coach here thinks jason has to go for the quad. if does clean triples i'm not sure he'll make 4th if everyone else does their best

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, saddened by Jason’s score although never by what he tries to do. :thumbsup:

It is frustrating because his mental game at one point was a great feature and now I just get so worried. :sad21:

I may not be posting as much as I normally do for our boy because I have had my own mishap. Since we are all friends here I will share that yours truly had an unfortunate encounter with the sidewalk a few days ago and the sidewalk was victorious. So I am writing with a wrist fracture in two places, surgery upcoming, lots of painkillers, and iPhone dictation.

And hoping for the free that Jason wants. :pray:

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Of course, saddened by Jason’s score although never by what he tries to do. :thumbsup:

It is frustrating because his mental game at one point was a great feature and now I just get so worried. :sad21:

I may not be posting as much as I normally do for our boy because I have had my own mishap. Since we are all friends here I will share that yours truly had an unfortunate encounter with the sidewalk a few days ago and the sidewalk was victorious. So I am writing with a wrist fracture in two places, surgery upcoming, lots of painkillers, and iPhone dictation.

And hoping for the free that Jason wants. :pray:

I’m sorry to hear about your sidewalk mishap! I hope you feel better soon.