Jason Brown | Page 735 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
okay, soooo I'm thinking the zero GOE was an key error tbh. If you look at what that judge scored for the rest of his elements, it's +2, +3 or +4. She doesn't even give him a +1 and she's not out of corridor for any of the elements (i.e. other judges gave what she did). That zero kinda sticks out. It kind of sucks because basically that weighs the overall score down, but I don't think it was on purpose.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Eh, but I see why he does it this way. His solo 3f gets massive GOE. Honestly not a lot of men do a solo 3F so it stands out. I think he’ll work out the edge issue, he’s scored well with 3z-3t in the past with no edge calls, so he's capable. I do think they are working to make sure there is no question with the edge, so maybe trying a bit too hard.

The rest of the program looked solid (from what I could see on the protocol).

I agree with you about the 3F, was glad to see that he landed the 3A solidly, and was appalled at his PCS. These judges are clearly stingy in that department and I know you’re not supposed to compare across competitions, but when I compare it to the top 3 at GPF...

One thing about the 3Z though: I don’t know why they would be working very hard on fixing that edge instead of other things, so it doesn’t seem like a good explanation for the fall. Yes there’s increased scrutiny of edges this year, but go look at his stats on skating scores and you’ll see that he’s only ever gotten a full e call once - in 2011. He hasn’t even gotten ! calls that frequently in recent years. The difference between a 3z-3T in the bonus with/without a ! is only about 1-1.5 points. With a fall/< he loses about 10 points. So if they are in fact focused on fixing the edge and that results in falls, it makes no sense to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with you about the 3F, was glad to see that he landed the 3A solidly, and was appalled at his PCS. These judges are clearly stingy in that department and I know you’re not supposed to compare across competitions, but when I compare it to the top 3 at GPF...

One thing about the 3Z though: I don’t know why they would be working very hard on fixing that edge instead of other things, so it doesn’t seem like a good explanation for the fall. Yes there’s increased scrutiny of edges this year, but go look at his stats on skating scores and you’ll see that he’s only ever gotten a full e call once - in 2011. He hasn’t even gotten ! calls that frequently in recent years. The difference between a 3z-3T in the bonus with/without a ! is only about 1-1.5 points. With a fall/< he loses about 10 points. So if they are in fact focused on fixing the edge and that results in falls, it makes no sense to me.

It's Golden Spin, not Worlds, so I mean if he's gonna fall, now is the time I guess. Jason's had up-and-down seasons before and I don't think his performance here or NHK is indicative of what could happen later in the season.

This season so far kinda reminds me of his last junior season when basically the first half was a semi-disaster with him losing to Boyang Jin in JGP France with a zillion URs and edge calls (and on jumps he can clearly do) and then him going off the podium at JGPF. He had a so-so nationals but then it all came together at Junior Worlds.

Of course, we had the Olympic season where it never went off the ground. So that's, of course, a disconcerting possibility. But call me an optimist but I don't have that vibe for this season.

But on the whole, Jason has never been a great early season skater and with the interruption in training from the concussion and the continued adjustments at TCC, I don't think this up-and-down season is THAT surprising or unusual.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It's Golden Spin, not Worlds, so I mean if he's gonna fall, now is the time I guess. Jason's had up-and-down seasons before and I don't think his performance here or NHK is indicative of what could happen later in the season.

This season so far kinda reminds me of his last junior season when basically the first half was a semi-disaster with him losing to Boyang Jin in JGP France with a zillion URs and edge calls (and on jumps he can clearly do) and then him going off the podium at JGPF. He had a so-so nationals but then it all came together at Junior Worlds.

Of course, we had the Olympic season where it never went off the ground. So that's, of course, a disconcerting possibility. But call me an optimist but I don't have that vibe for this season.

But on the whole, Jason has never been a great early season skater and with the interruption in training from the concussion and the continued adjustments at TCC, I don't think this up-and-down season is THAT surprising or unusual.

Ah Mrs. P, you and I are the yin /yang of Jason fans - you’re always level headed and optimistic, and I’m so frequently a pessimist. :)

Seriously, I don’t really know what to make of things. You’ve got more of a background to draw on than I do, but this season, which seemed to start so poorly with the concussion and then recover quite promisingly at SA, is just a head scratcher for me so far.

As a fan I both sympathize with Jason - because let’s face it, these struggles are hardest on him - and find it hard to deal with. Because it’s hard to watch such a beautiful skater fall 4 times in one competition. And while he certainly had a few great moments last season, the truth is that for the past 2 years, really since the beginning of the 2017-18 season, he’s struggled a lot. It’s obviously just terrible luck that he had that stupid accident in August - but his competitive confidence is still really up and down. You can see the huge progress in his skating at TCC, but his ability to compete well still seems touch and go. Is it the concussion? Self imposed pressure? Other stuff? We have no idea.

I’m not making any predictions about the rest of the season, but I do worry. And on a selfish note, I’m really annoyed not to have seen either one of those two gorgeous programs skated cleanly yet. :ddevil:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason fell three times at 2012 U.S. Nationals FS after making the final group with a clean SP AND wining JGPF. Then he medaled at junior worlds.

I mean Jason is consistent to a point, but the guy has has his share of valleys. Or that time he won silver at JGPF France in 2010 and then got like six URs over two programs at the next JGP in .... Japan. Ironically though, it was his experience at JGP Japan that got him to love Japanese culture and want to learn his language.

Oh totally random thing, but right before Golden Spin he took the Japanese Language Proficency Test (http://buna.yorku.ca/jlpt/). They only give it once a year (usually in December) and it was likely just a day or two before he left for Golden Spin.

Apparently he bumped into a few skating fans who were also taking the test and they tweeted about it.
https://twitter.com/ah0ko/status/1201145782776283137
https://twitter.com/shinjistarxx/status/1201375773048889344?s=20

So maybe he was a bit distracted from that :laugh:

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
okay, soooo I'm thinking the zero GOE was an key error tbh. If you look at what that judge scored for the rest of his elements, it's +2, +3 or +4. She doesn't even give him a +1 and she's not out of corridor for any of the elements (i.e. other judges gave what she did). That zero kinda sticks out. It kind of sucks because basically that weighs the overall score down, but I don't think it was on purpose.

Feeling better about it........... I guess.
But still a bit upset: it would be kinda, sorta like awarding Alena K zero GOE on her 3A... sorry, comparing apples and oranges, but still fuming somewhat.. part of which is I wish we could actually SEE it.. Maybe he did a wonky spin after all .. but I doubt it.. if it is a mistake on the judge's part, he/she should know better... but I am not the first to complain about scoring.

Zaki

On the Ice

But, if you look at the PCS he gave him they are the lowest among all.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Feeling better about it........... I guess.
But still a bit upset: it would be kinda, sorta like awarding Alena K zero GOE on her 3A... sorry, comparing apples and oranges, but still fuming somewhat.. part of which is I wish we could actually SEE it.. Maybe he did a wonky spin after all .. but I doubt it.. if it is a mistake on the judge's part, he/she should know better... but I am not the first to complain about scoring.

I don't know if we'll ever see good video of this year's competition, but I hope so. On that spin, the other GOEs weren't high either. None of the spins got his usual high GOEs. Falls do prejudice the judges and they start hitting lower scores. But I've been thinking a lot about Jason's competitive issues in 2018 and 2019. Nathan, Yuzu, Alyssa, the Russian girls all have one competitive goal. It is to WIN! I think that since Nathan came on the scene, Jason accepts that he can't win against him and he stopped trying to win. He likes to win, and he wants to win, but his goal is podium placement so that he can get to World's and the Olympics. And that puts more pressure on him than just trying to win. I think he's trying to beat himself and that is really hard. I think it's harder than skating to win.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Oh, Jason tried a 4T and fell.
The UR calls on triples and combo are odd though. Unless the judges are being super strict.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But, if you look at the PCS he gave him they are the lowest among all.

I still think it’s an error. At worst he meant to put 1 and typed zero. It happens.

Anyway congrats to Jason! Some odd calls (an ! on the flip?!) and kind of low PCS for him but he nailed the axels! :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well...it was great to wake up and see he took first. :) I’m happy he won, happy he’ll get the WS points, happy he hit on the 3As, happy he put the 4T out there. Hopefully he’s turned the corner with whatever has been affecting him and it will give him confidence going into Nats.

But that is a messy, messy protocol.

ETA @bookseller, so far this season, Jason has skated his best / earned his highest total score at SA competing directly against Nathan. He medaled there. And last season in France, where he also competed directly against Nathan, was a turning point for him - he beat him in the SP, earned a huge SP score, and took silver there.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Jason!

Golden Spin 2019 FS Video

Many thanks to the fan in the arena who filmed the performance and uploaded it to youtube. :thank:

IMO, his performance is better than the protocols would indicate. Aside from the fall on the 4T, there are wonky landings on the 3F+3T combo jumps. The other technical errors are not disruptive to the program.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know if we'll ever see good video of this year's competition, but I hope so. On that spin, the other GOEs weren't high either. None of the spins got his usual high GOEs. Falls do prejudice the judges and they start hitting lower scores. But I've been thinking a lot about Jason's competitive issues in 2018 and 2019. Nathan, Yuzu, Alyssa, the Russian girls all have one competitive goal. It is to WIN! I think that since Nathan came on the scene, Jason accepts that he can't win against him and he stopped trying to win. He likes to win, and he wants to win, but his goal is podium placement so that he can get to World's and the Olympics. And that puts more pressure on him than just trying to win. I think he's trying to beat himself and that is really hard. I think it's harder than skating to win.

I agree... competing against himself may be an element in his journey and that is very difficult... I wonder if he will keep these programs next season which will help him focus totally on training instead of spending alot of time learning new choreography.. thanks!!

noskates

Record Breaker
Beautiful. I never get tired of watching him skate. The quad, I think, just didn't have enough height. He looked like he rotated it but just came down too soon.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Jason!

Golden Spin 2019 FS Video

IMO, his performance is better than the protocols would indicate. Aside from the fall on the 4T, there are wonky landings on the 3F+3T combo jumps. The other technical errors are not disruptive to the program.

Thanks, Katmari! (And a million million thanks to the kind soul who posted it).

I agree that overall his program looked much better than you would think from just looking at the protocol. The 4T didn’t look that bad for his first attempt in two years - about the same as when he first put it out in 2016 at Lombardia. So that gives me hope that with a few more tries under his belt he can improve it at least to where it was at SA 2016. I was even happier to see how solid both 3As looked and how he recovered quickly after falling on the 4T so he could do a good job on the second 3A.

I’m going to surprise myself and say though that I think his lower than normal PCS was pretty accurate. A couple of elements that are usually placed to beautifully emphasize the music - the fan spiral and the way he usually comes out of that spin with those beautiful arm movements - were timed differently, and for me the program suffered as a result. Same with that “almost” Ina Bauer. Hopefully once he’s used to the new layout and has integrated the new elements, those things will improve.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thanks, Katmari! (And a million million thanks to the kind soul who posted it).

I agree that overall his program looked much better than you would think from just looking at the protocol. The 4T didn’t look that bad for his first attempt in two years - about the same as when he first put it out in 2016 at Lombardia. So that gives me hope that with a few more tries under his belt he can improve it at least to where it was at SA 2016. I was even happier to see how solid both 3As looked and how he recovered quickly after falling on the 4T so he could do a good job on the second 3A.

I’m going to surprise myself and say though that I think his lower than normal PCS was pretty accurate. A couple of elements that are usually placed to beautifully emphasize the music - the fan spiral and the way he usually comes out of that spin with those beautiful arm movements - were timed differently, and for me the program suffered as a result. Same with that “almost” Ina Bauer. Hopefully once he’s used to the new layout and has integrated the new elements, those things will improve.

you mean 2015 4CC actually