Jason Brown | Page 737 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Thanks again, RemyRose!

She did indeed upload the FS, and here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0MBE29xyG8

A little too much talking by the commentators, but it’s nice to see a professional broadcast with close ups. He looked real happy after he finished, a little bit less so when his scores came up, not surprising considering how low it was compared to SA. But those who like to make fun of his behavior in the knc will find little to complain about. :)

Overall I thought he did a good job. It does seem like there is some choreography missing and a few fill in crossovers, but hopefully it’s just temporary until he can work with David on incorporating the new jumps.

I think he should be pretty happy with the quad attempt - maybe a bit timid / not enough height, but not bad!

ETA if he goes to GS next year, I guess we’ll need to see if there’s a television broadcast and if so, try the VPN route. :)

That FS link took me to the Exhibition programme. Here is the link for the Free Skate :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah definitely gonna argue some of those UR calls were bogus (and the flip edge but that’s a given- he easily lost two pints on that). I think under a different panel it would have been over 170 easily.

I thought the quad attempt actually was pretty good.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That FS link took me to the Exhibition programme. Here is the link for the Free Skate :)

Sorry! Not sure what happened but thanks for the heads up - for some reason it took me 3 tries but the link in my post is now correct!

ETA @Mrs. P I agree. His 3F3T was a bit bobbly but didn’t look <. Anyway. Nothing we or he can do about it now. I was more concerned at the low score before I saw the clip - but seeing it, I think it’s a big improvement over NHK and solid enough that with work he has a strong chance to do well at Nats.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I wonder if his fist slam on the ice was one of frustration for not hitting the quad or triumph at basically a near clean skate :think:. Either way it was great to see and I think this is such a fabulous programme for him. His change of spin position right on the note changes in the music in the middle of the programme is just swoon :luv17:
And watching the k&c just shows how such a good match jason and tracy are!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it was relief/vindication honestly. He had come off three bad skates, I think it was nice for him to feel satisfied with a performance, tech calls and all.

Edited: And yes I’m so glad Tracy got to go with him this time.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder if his fist slam on the ice was one of frustration for not hitting the quad or triumph at basically a near clean skate :think:. Either way it was great to see and I think this is such a fabulous programme for him. His change of spin position right on the note changes in the music in the middle of the programme is just swoon :luv17:
And watching the k&c just shows how such a good match jason and tracy are!

I think it was the missed quad that caused the fist bump. I am glad that he went for it and sorry he didn't land it. Overall the program was good. I think he can build on it to make it much better by Nats. And I think he should keep the program for next year. He can refine it, add higher level content and work on the PCs and GOEs. It has the potential for greatness. I would love to see what he does with it. It's a good program for him and it can be absolutely great! I was happy to see that Tracy was with him. They have a great rapport and she keeps him calm and focused.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was the missed quad that caused the fist bump. I am glad that he went for it and sorry he didn't land it. Overall the program was good. I think he can build on it to make it much better by Nats. And I think he should keep the program for next year. He can refine it, add higher level content and work on the PCs and GOEs. It has the potential for greatness. I would love to see what he does with it. It's a good program for him and it can be absolutely great! I was happy to see that Tracy was with him. They have a great rapport and she keeps him calm and focused.

I just watched it. It was good. And it has the making to be a masterpiece, so he should keep it for next year.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If it’s a potential masterpiece he might be better off putting it aside for a year and returning to it for the Olympic Year. He didn’t do that with Piano, and although I loved seeing it grow in year 2, it was impossible for him to bring back for a third year in 2018. Don’t know if it would have made a difference to making the team, but I’ve always thought it might have. JMO.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it’s a potential masterpiece he might be better off putting it aside for a year and returning to it for the Olympic Year. He didn’t do that with Piano, and although I loved seeing it grow in year 2, it was impossible for him to bring back for a third year in 2018. Don’t know if it would have made a difference to making the team, but I’ve always thought it might have. JMO.

You are right. I think the program for the Olympic year should be your best in a 4 year period.

Ross74

Medalist
It's nice to see Jason's post-Golden Spin family pics on insta. Cute that he's still wearing the blue neck warmer that Evgenia made for him last year. :)

So why all of the rearranging of the programs? Is it because changes were made following the concussion to make it easier on him, and now things are being added back in, and to accommodate the quad? I just worry about him learning new layouts so close to Nationals when that's not one of his strong suits even when not having gone through a concussion.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It's nice to see Jason's post-Golden Spin family pics on insta. Cute that he's still wearing the blue neck warmer that Evgenia made for him last year. :)

So why all of the rearranging of the programs? Is it because changes were made following the concussion to make it easier on him, and now things are being added back in, and to accommodate the quad? I just worry about him learning new layouts so close to Nationals when that's not one of his strong suits even when not having gone through a concussion.

I didn’t notice any change to the SP?

In the FS, I think that once they decided to replace 3S (4S placeholder) with the 4T (presumably bc 4T was going well or maybe he just likes it better) they had to change the jump combo to lessen the risk of zayaking. Then they probably played around with where the new jumps worked best, so the elements changed this way:

SA: 3A2T, 3F, 3A, 3S, CCoSp4, 3Z3T, 3Z2T2Lo, ChSq1, 3Lo, FCCoSp4, StSq4, CCSp4 to
GS: 3A2T, 4T, 3A, 3F, CCoSp4, 3Zeu3S, 3F3T, ChSq1, 3Lo, FCCoSp4, StSq4, CCSp4

Because the program was probably choreographed with the SA layout and the different jumps/combos have different entries and timing, changing the elements around means they fit the music differently. Some transitions seem to have moved or disappeared. For me things seem a bit off, which is not surprising. I’m guessing David Wilson may be in Spain for Javi’s show and that they did this without him? Anyway I expect they’ll keep tinkering.

It also looked to me like when he fell he just abandoned whatever choreography was planned in order to quickly get where he needed to be and prepare for the next 3A.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I agree that he should have skated the Piano at 2018 Nats. I watched all his practices and it was clear that his Inner Love program wasn't going well and that he wasn't going to land the quad. He skated the Piano at 4CCs and medaled. Schindler deserves 2 years to get it right.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I agree that he should have skated the Piano at 2018 Nats. I watched all his practices and it was clear that his Inner Love program wasn't going well and that he wasn't going to land the quad. He skated the Piano at 4CCs and medaled. Schindler deserves 2 years to get it right.

I think many people would agree with you about 2018. I’m not 100% sure the outcome would have been different, because that season was problematic in so many ways. He’d had so much success with it in the prior season that it definitely could have helped. But it likely wouldn’t have changed the pressures he felt to make the team and land quads, or the feeling of being pulled in many directions.

And - at the end of his injury-shortened 2015-2016 season, it wasn’t necessarily clear that Piano would become the iconic program that it eventually did. It was the changes he brought to it in year 2 - his increased maturity and even superficial things like his sleek new look - that made it what it was.

So I can see why they didn’t anticipate the success and why they ultimately felt they couldn’t bring it back for year 3 and decided instead to build on it with Inner Love. The fact that it took so long to finish Inner Love was a huge part of the problem. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to find out if part of the delay was because Jason was set on Hamilton as a FS. In any case, after presumably spending a lot of money commissioning the music, I can see why they didn’t decide to abandon it until it no longer mattered.

Regarding SL, yes it deserves 2 years. The question is really which two years, because programs are rarely ever done for 3 in a row. Two years are okay. Three are often frowned on. In this case, I think it’s clearer than it was with Piano that it could become iconic, and that’s why I think they should consider not doing it next year and returning to it for the Olympic season. But we’ll see what he and his team decide.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think many people would agree with you about 2018. I’m not 100% sure the outcome would have been different, because that season was problematic in so many ways. He’d had so much success with it in the prior season that it definitely could have helped. But it likely wouldn’t have changed the pressures he felt to make the team and land quads, or the feeling of being pulled in many directions.

And - at the end of his injury-shortened 2015-2016 season, it wasn’t necessarily clear that Piano would become the iconic program that it eventually did. It was the changes he brought to it in year 2 - his increased maturity and even superficial things like his sleek new look - that made it what it was.

So I can see why they didn’t anticipate the success and why they ultimately felt they couldn’t bring it back for year 3 and decided instead to build on it with Inner Love. The fact that it took so long to finish Inner Love was a huge part of the problem. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to find out if part of the delay was because Jason was set on Hamilton as a FS. In any case, after presumably spending a lot of money commissioning the music, I can see why they didn’t decide to abandon it until it no longer mattered.

Regarding SL, yes it deserves 2 years. The question is really which two years, because programs are rarely ever done for 3 in a row. Two years are okay. Three are often frowned on. In this case, I think it’s clearer than it was with Piano that it could become iconic, and that’s why I think they should consider not doing it next year and returning to it for the Olympic season. But we’ll see what he and his team decide.

A lot depends on what happens with this program for the rest of the season. But keeping it for next year would give him the room and confidence to try to actually integrate a quad or maybe two into the program. Once he masters that, if he can, a new program for the Olympic season wouldn't be bad. I feel like whatever is going on with him this year. Schindler isn't reaching its potential, So I'd personally like to see him keep it for whichever year he and his team feel would benefit him the most. The Piano was the bridge from Jason the kid with a ponytail and the Jason he is now. Inner Love was just a big mistake from the beginning. Not sure how it happened. The choreography wasn't bad at all, but Jason never connected with the music. And it wasn't for lack of trying. Hamilton was all him and he did well with it. Inner Love was just too generic. None of his personality came through. And yes, his team failed him on that one. I think when he talked about being pulled in too many directions, that program was at the center of it.

noskates

Record Breaker
As much as I love Schindler's List and as much as I truly believe we have not seen his best rendition of it - I personally don't like it when a skater keeps a program for more than one season. To me is takes the wonderment and surprise out of it and it's like (again, to me) "been there, done that!") What I think SL has done for him this year is show his growth and maturity and also that he's connected with David Wilson - and David Wilson now knows who he's choreographing for and the unlimited possibilities that a lyrical skater like Jason can present to one of the all-time best skating choreographers. There's another piece of fantastic music just sitting out there waiting for the two of them to find it.

I think Schindler's List is going to be a performance at Nationals that no none will forget!!!! Jason always peaks his choreo at Nationals.

p.s. I really didn't like Hamilton. To me it didn't lend itself to figure skating even though I know Jason loved it. I could see right off what Kori and Rohene's objection to it was.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think Jason's vision for Hamilton program was fully realized in that short program. I think he really wanted to tell Aaron Burr's story through a medley that would have included Room where it Happens and Wait for It (remember he skated to that song on the Today Show; I have every reason to believe he wanted that song as part of an a FS).

Aaron Burr is hard working and ambitious man who gets passed by the dynamic Alexander Hamilton. You could argue it's an allegory Jason's career as a skater and I wonder if that's why he identified with that story. I think he did the best he could with Room Where it Happens -- but honestly that song alone doesn't fully explain Aaron Burr's story or character. If you had to just do a SP, I still don't know why they didn't go with Wait for It --which has a much more straightforward message and doesn't go inside baseball on government like Room Where it Happens.

Honestly, I think they should have gone along with the idea despite their initial skepticism with it. Honestly, it's just another example where Jason wanted some agency with his skating and he didn't get it. (On the other hand, it also speaks to how hard it was for Jason to show agency given how he was SO used to taking other people's cues.)

I'm also curious whether the resistance was actually more Kori or Rohene or they were equally against it. Neither here nor there, but honestly in hindsight I think Rohene probably would have been open to doing what Jason wanted, given that since he left, he's basically gone with a song that his sister recommended and a song that Rohene had shelved for an exhibition that Jason asked to bring back.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think Jason's vision for Hamilton program was fully realized in that short program. I think he really wanted to tell Aaron Burr's story through a medley that would have included Room where it Happens and Wait for It (remember he skated to that song on the Today Show; I have every reason to believe he wanted that song as part of an a FS).

Aaron Burr is hard working and ambitious man who gets passed by the dynamic Alexander Hamilton. You could argue it's an allegory Jason's career as a skater and I wonder if that's why he identified with that story. I think he did the best he could with Room Where it Happens -- but honestly that song alone doesn't fully explain Aaron Burr's story or character. If you had to just do a SP, I still don't know why they didn't go with Wait for It --which has a much more straightforward message and doesn't go inside baseball on government like Room Where it Happens.

Honestly, I think they should have gone along with the idea despite their initial skepticism with it. Honestly, it's just another example where Jason wanted some agency with his skating and he didn't get it. (On the other hand, it also speaks to how hard it was for Jason to show agency given how he was SO used to taking other people's cues.)

I'm also curious whether the resistance was actually more Kori or Rohene or they were equally against it. Neither here nor there, but honestly in hindsight I think Rohene probably would have been open to doing what Jason wanted, given that since he left, he's basically gone with a song that his sister recommended and a song that Rohene had shelved for an exhibition that Jason asked to bring back.
Hamilton may not have been a perfect program, but Jason connected with it and skated well to it. He was only a few points behind Adam going into the FS and could easily have gone ahead of him had he not bombed Inner Love. And bomb it he did. He tried that 4T right in front of me and I saw it coming and I experienced deep dread. And then he slammed into the ice. It was truly traumatic. There was no saving that FS. He didn't have his heart in it and Jason needs to have his heart in his programs. His heart is front and center in SL. I agree that Hamilton as a free would have been head and shoulders over Inner Love. I don't know why they fought it. But based on the fact that Jason still works happily with Rohene, I don't think the problem was with Ro. Jason had outgrown Kori and they both knew it and it wasn't working. There were just so many issues going into Nationals. But that is history. If Jason perfects SL as is and skates it successfully at World's, letting go of it makes sense. But I think there is a lot of potential in that program to grow. If not, he should move on and do something else next year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Twitter, looks like Jason and BFF Emily are enjoying some downtime in Paris (at least it looks like Millie to me).

So is he carting the costume around, or did he just forward it to TCC.:biggrin:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to Twitter, looks like Jason and BFF Emily are enjoying some downtime in Paris (at least it looks like Millie to me).

So is he carting the costume around, or did he just forward it to TCC.:biggrin:

Maybe his parents took it with them. He doesn't need it again until Nats and he'll see them before that happens.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Totally agree! Jason is such a magnificent skater. Nathan will be hard to beat. period. But I would love to see Jason on the podium at Nationals and at 4CC and Worlds.

I don't think beating Nathan is even a remote possibility. However, Jason should be able to get second or third place at Nationals and get on the World Team.