Jason Brown | Page 747 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason’s instragram story of him hugging Tracy and Tracy’s instagram stories of Jason in the kiss and cry has got me overwhelmed with tears.
They are SUCH a good partnership and I thank my lucky stars that Tracy convinced Brian to take Jason under her wing!

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
These are the breakthrough skates I was desperately wishing for Jason to have this weekend! Absolutely sublime! I'm just so darn happy for him. I'm still grinning from ear to ear this morning...

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Tracy has had such a positive influence on Jason's skating. He was always good, but something special has been drawn out of his skating.

And the quad attempt while downgraded showed some improvement, his rotation was so tight- which is why I think he was able to not fall even though he landed forward. To me it looked like he didn't jump quite high enough. The confidence of staying on his feet has to count for something going forward.

Ross74

Medalist
Jason’s instragram story of him hugging Tracy and Tracy’s instagram stories of Jason in the kiss and cry has got me overwhelmed with tears.
They are SUCH a good partnership and I thank my lucky stars that Tracy convinced Brian to take Jason under her wing!

Yes. His and Tracy's Stories are so emotional, and it was nice seeing her daughter chime in.

Many of you may not be familiar with former U.S. pairs champion Jo Jo Starbuck but she was one of my first skating faves, with her partner Ken Shelley. I loved seeing her tweet this morning.
JoJo Starbuck @StarbuckJoJo
@USFigureSkating @jasonbskates
In the ranks of John Curry and Paul Wylie, this is, and his short are magnificent and perfect. What athleticism, style and heart Jason has....sooo thrilled to be able to see this performance. Wishing NBC would be generous and show this as a highlight from Nationals.

On a superficial note, was Jason wearing new pants for his FS? They fit so much better than the ones at Skate America.

noskates

Record Breaker
Went back and looked at his pants (hmmm, this is weird) and they fit quite nicely. How do you access the "stories?"

16Olympics

On the Ice
Many were wondering before Nationals about Jason not being on social media a lot. I think we now have an idea why. He was so laser focused and if that is what it takes for him to show how magnificent he can be, I would expect him to follow the same pattern before 4CC & Worlds.

Every skater needs a coach who looks at them the way Tracy looks at Jason in the K&K. So heartwarming for him to have found a home.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Honestly, if I didn't know, and they showed me all the skates of the men in the last group and said one was a classically trained ballet dancer, I'd say it was Jason, and no-one else.

You guys. I've watched it like 20 times and I keep noticing new details. The little lift of his chin in defiance during the choreo after the second 3A. The gentle sweep of his arms with the change in the music just before the choreo sequence. The longing skyward look during the step sequence. Oh god, it's so gorgeous. :cry:

Also, I love the 3Lo. It's so light and easy.

And I was thinking, remember, remember when we called the 3A the moon landing? And people (*COUGHDAVELEASECOUGH*) said he'd never get it? And now I compare them to Joshua's in my head all the time because they are so big and beautiful and secure.

i am having a lot of feelings right now. we love you jason.

Everything you said! When he stops at center ice and starts his dance with the heel touch and the hand gestures it just took me back to the folk dancing I saw at a festival when we were in Krakow. Just magnificent details. This is David Wilson choreo but Rohene and Jason really bring the beauty of the message to life. Jason's sp is amazing, too, but in a different way.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was meant to write something yesterday, but got kind of overwhelmed with emotions. And after re-watching Jason's FS today I am convinced that this is something that will stand the test of time, trends and preferences. Adding to his legacy of being able to create moments of a special, unique quality of remembrance.

Yesterday I think confirmed for me that there is so far no better choice of skater to take on this music, this whole baggage - and to lift it in extraordinary manner than crumble under its significance and just rely on dramatism/despair of story this music tells. Already saw certain source's comparison to Joshua Farris' SL FS and let me put this out there - to compare two or more programs with each other due to the same music used is totally fair, but to make it into a subjective contest of preference of emotional expression of sadness/sorrow and tragism made or not by these skaters is very cheap and does not suit theme SL is about. Flattening it to the tragic sense of events, deep sadness and dramatism, narrowing spectrum of acceptable expression to pain and a demand to portray it vividly, expressed by some people (and then utilized by lots of skaters who skated to this music) makes Jason's interpretation and methodology of approaching SL regarding emotional and creative layers possibly misunderstood or made as distant/strange. To be honest, I would never use Joshua's FS as a side of comparison - be cause for me, him and Jason approached the music and theme with different portrayal effect in mind and with different relation built to that piece/story, one being no less valid than the other, but BOTH with similar touch of sensibility and respect towards it.

I think that Jason did something extraordinary with that program, how he managed to curate it throughout the season with the effect we saw yesterday - he was able to put pure SPIRIT of that story, voiced by music, into centerpiece of his presence and let it speak through his body. The spirit that echoes people from the past, speaking to us today, especially today at 75th anniversary of Auschwitz Liberation; spirit of both those who died and who survived. For me, Jason encompassed the memory of that story in the most complex and poignant fashion I have ever seen a skater do - his interpretation , coexistence INSIDE this music, managed to express tragedy and sorrow in a very 'private' way, despite being showed as a skate in front of so many people watching; to develop such intricate depth of telling what this music relates to is really a feat - I have never seen SL music portrayed in a way I wanted to cry equally for the pain and beauty of it, because Jason managed to represent and balance both despite tragedy this music is about.

What really 'got' me was his face before performance started - in that moment I knew that no matter what will happen execution-wise, he just realizes the weight of what he wants to give us and how he wants to achieve it. I think that choreography so divinely presenting Jason and his movement with music, accentuating it is one thing - one that was taught, but the level of devotion Jason showed towards every single note and message to convey took the program and performance of it to entirely different level in my opinion. To make the moments of silence speaking the loudest and in the most defining way.

For me, Jason - regardless of skating so beautifully, strongly in execution - introduced kind of new dimension and quality standard for SL theme, being quite 'elusive' I think to look at it from some perspective. He captured the sense of story, the sensitivity of music, added the focus and finest of his skating, but in a way that not necessarily was designed to make people cry from these painful events that happen - it was more about bringing this story, these people on the pedestal, to honor them, to make us remember that and reflect on them on our own. I know, all of this written may sound silly (writing this I have my doubts if it makes a bit of sense), but it is incredibly hard to put the amount of everything I felt watching Jason into coherent post. Nonetheless, I am under BIG spell of that performance and salute to Jason for creating truly a SPECIAL moment.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Beautifully said, NoNameFace, thank you!

On a much shallower note, can I say how thrilled I am that we have two gorgeous programs that we can watch and rewatch!?

On an even shallower note, I was in Dallas this weekend and spent Saturday night in a punk bar in Denton full of UNT and local kids in Denton (let’s just say it’s not my natural habitat). Am I going to have to repeat this trip during Worlds to ensure that Jason has an equally successful competition? :drama:

:)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of IG stories, wasn't the most important one from Benny the ice skating dog? Jason coming over to say hi in his Schindler costume; Tracy not as enthusiastic?:biggrin:

I'm still in such a good mood, I can be humorous;)

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Speaking of IG stories, wasn't the most important one from Benny the ice skating dog? Jason coming over to say hi in his Schindler costume; Tracy not as enthusiastic?:biggrin:

I'm still in such a good mood, I can be humorous;)

omg noooo did that actually happen? i can't see it!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
And to respond to what everyone else has been saying, I could absolutely see the snap into his jumps and much tighter rotation. Particularly in the long, his jumps looked really snappy and just noticeably different - I truly believe that Jason is now finally getting this new technique into his muscle memory and ready against competition nerves.

I honestly cannot stop watching his free - his reaction in the kiss&cry is making me cry. God you can see how much this performance meant to him, I am so so sooooo happy for him.
I'm also so glad he's got the chance to continue on to 4CCs and Worlds - he deserves it. Just a little bit of me kicking myself for not getting tickets to Montreal..... !

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh my, NoName, let's give you a new name and call you Mrs.or Mr. Articulate. LOVED your post and agree with the words and the sentiment. I must admit I've watched the freeskate several times today and I keep seeing difference nuances - whether it's the movement of his hands or his facial expression. And then I remind myself that God willing I'll be seeing him in person again next January. I don't know how he's going to top SL though. This is truly an iconic program and an iconic skate.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was meant to write something yesterday, but got kind of overwhelmed with emotions. And after re-watching Jason's FS today I am convinced that this is something that will stand the test of time, trends and preferences. Adding to his legacy of being able to create moments of a special, unique quality of remembrance.

Yesterday I think confirmed for me that there is so far no better choice of skater to take on this music, this whole baggage - and to lift it in extraordinary manner than crumble under its significance and just rely on dramatism/despair of story this music tells. Already saw certain source's comparison to Joshua Farris' SL FS and let me put this out there - to compare two or more programs with each other due to the same music used is totally fair, but to make it into a subjective contest of preference of emotional expression of sadness/sorrow and tragism made or not by these skaters is very cheap and does not suit theme SL is about. Flattening it to the tragic sense of events, deep sadness and dramatism, narrowing spectrum of acceptable expression to pain and a demand to portray it vividly, expressed by some people (and then utilized by lots of skaters who skated to this music) makes Jason's interpretation and methodology of approaching SL regarding emotional and creative layers possibly misunderstood or made as distant/strange. To be honest, I would never use Joshua's FS as a side of comparison - be cause for me, him and Jason approached the music and theme with different portrayal effect in mind and with different relation built to that piece/story, one being no less valid than the other, but BOTH with similar touch of sensibility and respect towards it.

I think that Jason did something extraordinary with that program, how he managed to curate it throughout the season with the effect we saw yesterday - he was able to put pure SPIRIT of that story, voiced by music, into centerpiece of his presence and let it speak through his body. The spirit that echoes people from the past, speaking to us today, especially today at 75th anniversary of Auschwitz Liberation; spirit of both those who died and who survived. For me, Jason encompassed the memory of that story in the most complex and poignant fashion I have ever seen a skater do - his interpretation , coexistence INSIDE this music, managed to express tragedy and sorrow in a very 'private' way, despite being showed as a skate in front of so many people watching; to develop such intricate depth of telling what this music relates to is really a feat - I have never seen SL music portrayed in a way I wanted to cry equally for the pain and beauty of it, because Jason managed to represent and balance both despite tragedy this music is about.

What really 'got' me was his face before performance started - in that moment I knew that no matter what will happen execution-wise, he just realizes the weight of what he wants to give us and how he wants to achieve it. I think that choreography so divinely presenting Jason and his movement with music, accentuating it is one thing - one that was taught, but the level of devotion Jason showed towards every single note and message to convey took the program and performance of it to entirely different level in my opinion. To make the moments of silence speaking the loudest and in the most defining way.

For me, Jason - regardless of skating so beautifully, strongly in execution - introduced kind of new dimension and quality standard for SL theme, being quite 'elusive' I think to look at it from some perspective. He captured the sense of story, the sensitivity of music, added the focus and finest of his skating, but in a way that not necessarily was designed to make people cry from these painful events that happen - it was more about bringing this story, these people on the pedestal, to honor them, to make us remember that and reflect on them on our own. I know, all of this written may sound silly (writing this I have my doubts if it makes a bit of sense), but it is incredibly hard to put the amount of everything I felt watching Jason into coherent post. Nonetheless, I am under BIG spell of that performance and salute to Jason for creating truly a SPECIAL moment.

You said it very well. And in saying it, you explain what makes Jason's skating special. Watching the full competition yesterday, what struck me was how little emotional investment there was from most of the skaters. They weren't invested in what they were presenting, or if they were it didn't show. But with Jason, he is always emotionally invested (except maybe with Inner Love which he never really got into with predictable results) and it shows in his skating. Not everyone can do that and still perform at the level that Jason performs. And let's face it, very few skaters perform at the level that Jason performs.

Josh Farris also had that quality, which is why people still talk about that SL program. But how many programs become iconic like Riverdance and like I expect this SL program to become? He should keep doing it as long as it keeps getting better and more nuanced. It's a signature piece like Riverdance. As Johnny Weir said after SL. "No other skater in the world does what Jason does." He is unique and he is special. And he moves people. I'm so glad that you wrote this. I wish I had been in the arena to have seen this, but am so glad that it was televised and that I could see it this way. Everyone who was there said the same thing. Jason had the audience from the moment he stood in his opening pose until the last moment. And gave him the tribute of silence until he was done and the roar started. He is amazing!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
After my accident in 1999, I couldn't watch figure skating. It made me feel physically sick. And I'd long ago lost interest in the men's competition anyway, as it seemed to be all about huge jumps and little artistry (I was a huge fan of John Curry). Somebody on my Facebook posted a link to Jason's Riverdance programme and I loved it. Eventually I got back on the ice and decided I'd giving watching the Pyeongchang Olympics a go. I recall a commentator saying that there were a few men, eg Misha Ge, Adam Rippon and Jason Brown, who chose to eschew quads for the sake of their legs in future years but that they were really worth watching as their skating was superb in other ways. He wasn't wrong.

Jason Brown is what skating is all about for me. I've just watched his US Nationals FP. I never thought I'd be excited about going to watch the men's competition at Worlds but I am looking forward to it almost as much as the ice dance - and that's really saying something!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
His Nationals performance was something that I, and also likely Jason himself, will remember for a long time. His reaction in the k&c showed it all - genuine emotion at finally winning the battle against himself. Jason has said time and time again that he is glad there is room in skating for the performers but I think that does a disservice to his skills. He has continued to refine and hone his skills on the ice to a level I didn't think was possible. There is such clarity and depth and precision to his skating now that has taken years to perfect. He is one of the best spinners in the mens field and is near unrivalled in his flexibility and extension.
And he has worked for all of that. And done it all through the nay-sayers and the people who said he should quit or give up because he'll never get a quad or he'll never be competitive or he's too old and even the outright offensive and derogatory comments regarding who he is as a person.

And he never let his smile down or his vulnerability show. He remains the kindest, most genuine-hearted guy on the planet and I feel blessed to see his growth over the years and how he puts his entire heart and soul into skating. I cannot wait to see where he takes us next.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
That was one of the first things that came to my mind as well yesterday, once I calmed down from the avalanche of emotions after his FS. Just 6 years ago also at the US Nationals he turned the heads of the entire world with his Riverdance, and to reflect upon how much he has grown in so many senses, and how far he has come artistically, the winding road he has taken, it got me emotional all over again.
It's quite possible that yesterday's Schindler will go viral just as Riverdance, but with an entirely different impact.
It seems that people have finally noticed yesterday how powerful Jason's performance was. They have for once experienced the true, exquisite skating, which had long been eclypsed by the quad hype.
It is a tall order, but hey, one can dream... I hope this might trigger the governing body of figure skating to finally wake up and start to reconsider the direction the sport has been taking - and create a platform where skaters with outstanding strengths other than jumping can shine and be rewarded.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
That was one of the first things that came to my mind as well yesterday, once I calmed down from the avalanche of emotions after his FS. Just 6 years ago also at the US Nationals he turned the heads of the entire world with his Riverdance, and to reflect upon how much he has grown in so many senses, and how far he has come artistically, the winding road he has taken, it got me emotional all over again.
It's quite possible that yesterday's Schindler will go viral just as Riverdance, but with an entirely different impact.
It seems that people have finally noticed yesterday how powerful Jason's performance was. They have for once experienced the true, exquisite skating, which had long been eclypsed by the quad hype.
It is a tall order, but hey, one can dream... I hope this will cause the governing body of figure skating to finally wake up and start to reconsider the direction the sport has been taking - and create a platform where skaters with outstanding strengths other than jumping can shine and be rewarded.

Totally with you, totally with you. I like jumps (they're a big part of the sport) but there is so much more. And it should be rewarded! This skate was so wonderful. I'm going to dream with you.