Jason Brown | Page 759 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Ross74

Medalist
Evgenia looks gorgeous!

Jason’s hair, though. :eeking:

Cute clip! But, yeah, the hair is :eeking: My first thought is that there were maybe playing with the hair to get ideas for the show, and that's why it was so ... odd. NanaPat, you may be right about the hat. :)
That steak was making me hungry.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
that is a new level of fluffy oh my!! keep telling myself that it is giving him power and he can't cut it before worlds, but oh jeez he needs to at least gel it down!

i also have to say, i'm very grateful for their friendship and i think the show is going to be amazing!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm guessing they actually just got back from training and that's why the hair is so fluffy!

Adorable, though. Worlds is too long away!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I’m a young adult of the 70s, I love fros and I love long hair, and you just keep growing it Jason ;)

One hint though, all your old product may be geared to slicking it down. Matrix “Curl Please” contouring lotion, available at your hairdresser. Trust me:)

noskates

Record Breaker
Well I think he just needs a haircut. I guess I'm not superstitious and think that the length of his hair isn't going to help him land jumps. Maybe he hasn't had time? :sarcasm:

Was just in the thread about "the best Flamenco you've ever seen" and posted an old video of Kurt doing "Nyah!" Made me stop and wonder what Jason would do with a program that was all footwork and feeling. I think he could pull it off and be fabulous in the process. And I know we still have Worlds but I'm sooooo curious to see how - or if - he's going to follow Schindler's List. I think he and David Wilson are now on the same page. Will be nail-biting all summer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In case the youtubes you bookmarked have been deleted:

2020 Four Continents - Jason earns his first ISU Championships silver, a personal best in Total and FS, and standing ovations in South Korea! He also gets a Schindler's list garbed teddy bear.
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQWq7XwByc
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXb5DL5y2Dc
Victory Ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3PkOm1cs8
Gala: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1aR4SgiJQ

And if still desperately seeking Jason at 4cc s

2020 Four Continents- All Events may be watched here, even in the USA
https://yadi.sk/d/qKB44JvYb_HHMA

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Doris - thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I watched the FS and just looked at Jason's hands. Try it. Amazing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I did, and It is! He pays such attention to detail, down to the fingertips of each hand. :love:

He also has one of very few triple Euler triples that covers a lot of ice and does not look as untidy as a dog's breakfast.

And his 3 loop is so much improved!

Btw, if you like to watch hands, try the same exercise with Maddie & Evan's FD - the attention to detail and synchronization is also astounding!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeA1CqN_m8A

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Maddie and Evan's free dance is one of my all-time favorites right up there with Charlie and Meryl. It's masterful.

My friend and I were trying to remember the first time we noticed Jason and I think it was the 2012 Nationals in San Jose (I think that was the year) and it was Jason's first foray into Senior Men's. We were sitting next to a couple that knew him and kept talling us "wait until you see Jason!" They kept going on and on and on and my friend and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows.......suffice to say we were very impressed and still are.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since it’s quiet, and since Worlds is approaching, I am curious.....

How many times have you watched Schindler’s List? Which one? (I’m beginning to like the Worlds one better).

And I Can’t Go On? It tends to get lost because SL has been so powerful, but it is such a compelling program in itself, it makes me forget the guy is whistling:laugh:

I’m not revealing yet, but I’m at the point with SL where I wait for Brian to say “good job” and Tracy to say “that was beautiful” so I can smile. :)

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist

How many times have you watched Schindler’s List? Which one? (I’m beginning to like the Worlds better).

And I Can’t Go On? It tends to get lost because SL has been so powerful, but it is such a compelling program in itself, it makes me forget the guy is whistling:laugh:

I’m not revealing yet, but I’m at the point with SL, where I wait for Brian to say “good job” and Tracy to say “that was beautiful” so I can smile. :)

SL: Too many times... and always sobbing by the time he hits that spiral and then the knee slide :drama:

The one I keep rewatching is 4CC but before that, Nationals.

I can’t go on is also soooooo good, but I admit to being more drawn to SL at this point. It’s just so emotionally powerful and meaningful. The music, Jason’s skating and the choreography. A masterpiece.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And of course, re-reading the post I meant the 4CC performance I am rewatching and not Worlds:drama:

Although we can hope:pray:

Ross74

Medalist

How many times have you watched Schindler’s List? Which one? (I’m beginning to like the Worlds one better).

I’m not revealing yet, but I’m at the point with SL where I wait for Brian to say “good job” and Tracy to say “that was beautiful” so I can smile. :)

Probably not the answer you're expecting :) but I've probably watched SL only about a third as many times as I've watched ICGOWY. I don't dislike SL but I don't think it's great choreography, and I'm not in love with the music. It's the skater that makes it great. Granted, I'm not a DWilson fan, so there''s that. :) Jason's passion and his love for skating this program are so obvious. He performs the heck out of it because it's meaningful to him! The main reason I watch SL is because of something specific with a performance, or because I want to see interactions with the coaches or the K&C. In this case, I probably watch the Nats performance the most. OTOH, the first time I saw the ICGOWY step stequence at Skam, I fell in love with this program, and still am. The movement quality and the way it is choreographed to the nuances in the music are fabulous! It helps that this program has been skated mostly error free in recent comps. I'm not one to re-watch programs if there are major errors. Now if jason should skate SL with everything performed exactly as it's supposed to be, I would probably never stop watching it. :pray: this will happen!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'll try to translate this bit by bit, it will take a while, as I'm not a fast translator (and NOT a pro) but I hope it makes thing a little clearer for Jason fans. Canon is known for their interesting interviews with skaters.

Delight in the Silver Medal at the Four Continents Championship
Skating after Hanyu "I received Bear Power"

Maintaining Peak (condition) a week after Nationals, Understanding Ones own pace, Skating Last

To start with the 4CC medal, a great honor.

Yes, it was a wonderful competition. That I was able to make the press conference (top 3) in the Short and the Free, skating in official practices, and the atmosphere of competition, all stayed with me.
Especially as I was able to land the quad toe loop in official practice, and I was able to feel as if I was one with the ice, I was able to take that confidence with me to the competition.

It was only one week after the US Nationals that you landed in Seoul

It's difficult to peak twice in so short a time. After Nationals, I only trained 5 days before coming. It's a busy schedule, but the TCC team is united in it's efforts towards competition and that was heartening. I was able to just train and bring myself to my best condition towards Nationals. Because I was able to perform my best at Nationals, it became important that I maintain my peak for the 4 Continents Championship in February and Worlds in March so I discussed this with my coach.

Maintaining peak condition is an important challenge isn't it?

Since it went well this time, it's all about how to create the peak condition for World Championships. For example, in daily practice, to have a training load fine tuned so that leaves me a little tired but with a little energy left over. After a skating session, It's also important to have the courage to rest if you feel tired. It's my second year since moving to Brian. My current aim is that it's not just about learning new things, but also training so that I can demonstrate my skill in competition.

In the SP at the Four Continents Championship, you had a perfect performance and you placed third

In the SP, it was the first time for me to experience skating after Yuzuru. Poohs were flying here and there on to the ice, it felt like the cheers were including me as well, and I felt encouraged. The power of the Yellow Bear is amazing isn't it? I know that this is how fans at the rink send power and it warms and encourages me.

Going into the Free Skate in third, you were the last to skate

I also feel that skating last is a big deal. But I've skated last at the World Championships twice, and at the Olympics, and also at last weeks Nationals I skated last. That's so many times skating last! So this time, skating last, I knew how to spend the one hour after the 6 minute warm up. And I also knew how I myself would change during that one hour. As the body cools, movement feels heavy, so with that knowledge, I kept warmed up, and when I got back on the ice I started warming up immediately.

Other than the Quad, your Freeskate was perfect

In the performance aspectbI felt like a conductor of an orchestra, I felt like I was conducting myself and making music - like I performed with my full power. Towards the World Championships in Montreal, I'd like to re-do the things that were challenging for me here.

2 Years with Orser, sharing a goal

"I've been able to skate naturally, without stress

This is the second year under Brian Orser. There's a sense that your skating skills are more free-flowing than ever.
Above improving my Jumping technique, I take skating skills lessons every day. It's really important to me to take on the many aspects of this sport in a balanced way. To be stronger, more beautiful, smooth and without excess. It feels like simple skating lessons, but things change little by little, and before you know it, a new level of consciousness in achieved. I don't know how important skating is until I do it.

Do you feel any changes in this second year?

Last season, I had to break a lot of habits that I had learned and build new skills over them, a lot of things didn't click. This season, I think I've been able to express the fundamental skating skills without needless effort. This season, the high PCS from each competition has been proof of my progress. The main reason I've been able to skate more naturally is that I'm finally starting to take ownership of the goals Brian (and team) have been aiming for. For the 18 months since moving to Toronto, skating boot problems, stamina and building strength, what to eat, how long to train and how long to rest, in all areas I've been finding my best self through trial and error. I think it was also difficult for Brian and Tracy. Even though I was looking for change moving to this team, it's not easy for change to really sink in. Brian (and team) really encouraged me while I was going through that stress. Now I know what I need to do and the undue stress is gone.

This season with Schindler's List, it's like we're seeing a new Jason Brown. Even though it's not a showy performance, the feelings come across.

Showy performances are easier. To express the theme of Schindler's list, one has to be both technically and emotionally mature. Schindler's List is something I've wanted to skate to since 5 years ago. But, I felt I needed to mature first. I explained to Choreographer David Wilson what I wanted to express and he put that into the shape of the program so well. I was satisfied with the outcome. Figure skating is something you skate as a competitor but at the same time you can be a performing artist. I always want to be a storyteller, to sing the song, play the music, express emotion, I take those parts seriously.

What's needed for Quad success, control techniques and Yuzuru's competitive strength.

At this competition (4CC) you landed the quad toe loop in practice, landing it in competition is just one step away?

My feelings are also that it's almost there. In Toronto I'm landing it every day and I've even done it perfect in run-throughs. At the official practices in Seoul I succeeded and I've definitely got the technique down compared to before. My instructor Karen Price, and Harness operator Jeff Deoncio work with me and I'm definitely grasping the technique for the quad.
But in the Free Skate, even though it would have been better to fall on the quad, I landed a double, and I shouldn't have made that mistake. I felt apologetic towards Brian and Tracy and all the coaches. I'm going to try again at World Championships with the certainty that I will land it.

What do you need for success (of the quad toe) in competition?

There are two reasons for lack of success in competition. First is psychological. I need to trust my coaches and myself. Of course, I'm trying to do that, but everyone has moments of weakness and negative thoughts, so it's about how to control that. This can be resolved. And the technique is also one step away. I've gotten the technique down to the point of where if I try a few times, I'll land one. I've found a pattern so that I know it will work. But to land it in competition with only one chance, I need the technique that gives me control in any situation. The control to land even if it's wobbly or even if the approach isn't quite right, to control it and take off anyway like usual. That sort of thing. I've reached a very detailed part of the training, so I think next time will certainly be a success.

Training in Toronto, Yuzuru Hanyu and Evgenia Medvedeva are with you right?

I receive power from everyone on the team, but the enthusiasm of those two is really wonderful. Yuzuru's concentration during practice is simply amazing. Before I likened him to a Drill Sargent, but recently, he's got this really grown up aura. To be able to see Seimei and Ballade 1 in practice before my eyes is such a treat. Seeing his skill in skating pushes my own skating. Evgenia is serious and passionate about training. But off the ice she's a really cute girl. We're very friendly. She's already preparing for next season.

And your goals for this season?

It's the World Championships, to give a perfect performance in the Short and the Free. And of course to land the quad. I feel that my technique, and what I want to express are already evolving, so will i be able to put that out in competition. I want to learn this competitive strength from Yuzuru as I train.

Thank you, we're looking forward to seeing you at the World Championships.

As always with translations, feedback from other Japanese speakers is welcome. If you spot an error, please comment.

--The translations complete now. Thanks for all your patience

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

Are we supposed to actually "count"??? The number has been completely lost, I have watched each of them (except for the one from NHK!!!) practically on a loop for at least a week after the performance, which seems to get better each time. 4CC, I would say, is my favourite so far, despite the pop :palmf: the intensity of his performance was out of this world!! I am not saying what I hope/expect for WC, because A. not to jinx anything, B. it's quite obvious.
Such a pity my chance to watch it in person at Nebelhorn was not to be... :sad4: I hope he will either keep it, or perhaps better yet bring it back for the Olympic year, this program is hard to beat and I would pray for another chance to see it on location!!!

As to I Can't Go On, I guess I love and watch it for the same reason Ross74 has for SL. The voice of the singer and the whistle annoys the heck out of me but it's his performance, the intensity and the incredible choreography of Rohene that draw me into it. And thus, I also lost the number of the repetition also on this program!!!

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm going to swim upriver and say I like the Nationals performance of SL the best - for several reasons. The first being - I've always felt that Jason began his peak at Nationals. That the sometimes rough skates early in the season were a result of him settling into the choreography and getting into his comfort zone with the program. The second is - we/I had no idea what to expect at Nationals because of the concussion and some of the reports coming out about how his spins were off, etc. I thought his Nationals performance represented the "new" Jason and how his move to Toronto had impacted him in so many good ways. We saw his relationship with Tracy, we saw Brian's appreciation for him, and we saw Jason's confidence reach a level it hadn't been for several years.

I do like David Wilson. I don't think he's as exciting or hip or maybe as innovative as Rohene, but I think there's room for both of them in Jason's choreographical presentations. The SP is classic Rohene/Jason. His SL is mature, confident, almost ethereal Jason. David will help him win a World medal. Rohene will set the stage.