Jason Brown | Page 772 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree with Book and Ross on all points. I think the fact that Jason's family isn't your typical skating family (whatever that is) and are more concerned with their son's welfare than medals (supposition on my part but would argue that point) plus Jason's loyalty to Kori just didn't play well with the success growing his technical ability would have brought in the 2013-14 timeframe. I imagine Jason was also concerned with Kori's coaching career when Mariah left. But you know, I think he would have done well with Frank. And skating on the same ice as Denis Ten wouldn't have been a problem I don't think and Frank always struck me as a father figure to his skaters. For some reason I can't see him with Raf. I think Jason likes that "mothering" style coaching support like with Kori and now Tracy. He responds well to that kind of family atmosphere. But again I will say - this is all supposition because our household revolved around rugby , butterfly bandaging and "be sure and wear your mouthguard!" I remember telling my son if he got his front teeth knocked out I would break his leg. MUCH different than sewing sequins on a shirt or picking out music. But I love both sports .

Frank would have been fine. Gracie and Denis were both there and Jason was friends with both. He was never close friends with Raf's major skaters, except for Mariah. Raf's style wouldn't have been as comfortable for Jason. We all noticed that his jumps improved after a summer session with Frank. But would Jason still be skating now if he had gone to Frank and made the Olympic team? Maybe, but maybe not. And Frank retired. I am so happy that Jason is where he is now. It was the right time and the right place. I trust he regrets nothing. That last season with Kori wasn't his happiest, but he learned from it. And he's moved on to better things. And I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the next two seasons.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kori wanted to move to Colorado while Jason was still in high school. In his junior year, I believe.

The Browns wanted Jason to stay at home and attend and graduate from public high school, (which personally I think is wonderful, but Jason's not my kid, so it doesn't matter what I think:biggrin:).

So Kori delayed her move until Jason graduated, even though she wanted to move earlier. And at that point, it was like going away to college for Jason. So he didn't move for her, but she delayed her move for him (as much as I love Jordan, I don't think Kori would have based her decision on his movements).

All water under the bridge now. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kori wanted to move to Colorado while Jason was still in high school. In his junior year, I believe.

The Browns wanted Jason to stay at home and attend and graduate from public high school, (which personally I think is wonderful, but Jason's not my kid, so it doesn't matter what I think:biggrin:).

So Kori delayed her move until Jason graduated, even though she wanted to move earlier. And at that point, it was like going away to college for Jason. So he didn't move for her, but she delayed her move for him (as much as I love Jordan, I don't think Kori would have based her decision on his movements).

All water under the bridge now. :)

That part I didn't know. Thanks for that. She induced labor for him and she delayed her move for him. That's pretty amazing! But Jason was worth it! It just made it so much harder for Jason to have to make a coaching change decision. They were a family.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm glad Jason didn't end up with Carroll. I lost a lot of respect for him over the last couple of years, with his reaction to Ten's interference with Hanyu's runthroughs at Boston Worlds, and his reaction to Gracie's clear cries for help and his immature handling of the press during that period. And I'm not convinced he didn't play a major role in what happened to Gracie. We know he's weighed skaters in the past.

I think, ultimately, it had to be Jason's decision to leave. If someone forced him, or gave him an ultimatum, I think it would have wrecked him. Jason's a people-pleaser, he likes making people happy. The choice had to come from inside him. It was a major, and important, step in his personal development, not just his skating development. He had to take on that level of responsibility for his own career trajectory - and he had to accept that he might need to make some difficult decisions along the way.

Jason had two choices in the run-up to Korea. He could have chosen the easy path, and stayed with Kori because he didn't want to upset anyone, and accepted that maybe his career would suffer. Or he could take the hard path, left Kori even knowing he would be making people unhappy, and fight for his career. He chose the latter, and I think it's been good for more than just his skating. You can still see the elements of his people-pleasing nature - the way he looks to Brian for approval and acceptance, for example. But he's prioritised himself now, his wants and his needs and what makes him happy, and I think that's hugely important.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad Jason didn't end up with Carroll. I lost a lot of respect for him over the last couple of years, with his reaction to Ten's interference with Hanyu's runthroughs at Boston Worlds, and his reaction to Gracie's clear cries for help and his immature handling of the press during that period. And I'm not convinced he didn't play a major role in what happened to Gracie. We know he's weighed skaters in the past.

I think, ultimately, it had to be Jason's decision to leave. If someone forced him, or gave him an ultimatum, I think it would have wrecked him. Jason's a people-pleaser, he likes making people happy. The choice had to come from inside him. It was a major, and important, step in his personal development, not just his skating development. He had to take on that level of responsibility for his own career trajectory - and he had to accept that he might need to make some difficult decisions along the way.

Jason had two choices in the run-up to Korea. He could have chosen the easy path, and stayed with Kori because he didn't want to upset anyone, and accepted that maybe his career would suffer. Or he could take the hard path, left Kori even knowing he would be making people unhappy, and fight for his career. He chose the latter, and I think it's been good for more than just his skating. You can still see the elements of his people-pleasing nature - the way he looks to Brian for approval and acceptance, for example. But he's prioritized himself now, his wants and his needs and what makes him happy, and I think that's hugely important.

Well said. I think that is all true. I personally am so happy that he's at TCC and skating with these other great skaters and great people and having access to coaches of such high caliber and so caring of their skaters. From my perspective, it's all worked out perfectly.

noskates

Record Breaker
Good morning - or afternoon or evening depending on where you are. It's a cold, blustery, damp day in Minnesota. But the locals say "if you don't like the weather here just wait 2 minutes!"
Nationals and 4 CCs have been playing off and on on the Olympic channel, which has been a nice distraction. I've tried to look at some YouTubes but many of them have been blocked. Very irritating.

Hope everyone is safe and sheltering in place or whatever your government has dictated.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well said. I think that is all true. I personally am so happy that he's at TCC and skating with these other great skaters and great people and having access to coaches of such high caliber and so caring of their skaters. From my perspective, it's all worked out perfectly.

:agree: I'm so happy he is at TCC. Super happy he did not go to Frank Carroll. And I'm ecstatic that he and Evgenia are friends. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good morning - or afternoon or evening depending on where you are. It's a cold, blustery, damp day in Minnesota. But the locals say "if you don't like the weather here just wait 2 minutes!"
Nationals and 4 CCs have been playing off and on on the Olympic channel, which has been a nice distraction. I've tried to look at some YouTubes but many of them have been blocked. Very irritating.

Hope everyone is safe and sheltering in place or whatever your government has dictated.

Chilly and wet here as well. Staying in. Will have to go grocery shopping this week. Will don a makeshift hazmat outfit and go out early on a rainy day hoping that the rain will deter crowds. We are rather a hotspot here, so going out is a bit stressful to contemplate. But go out I will! And follow hazmat protocols when I get back. Sigh....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Our state is in trouble in the part next to New York City, but although we are sheltering in place, there are not a lot of cases here yet in the Eastern part of the state.

I am thinking it is the right day to go to the grocery to stock up before it gets worse, especially since the rain and the early morning old people's shopping hour might keep many people home.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Our state is in trouble in the part next to New York City, but although we are sheltering in place, there are not a lot of cases here yet in the Eastern part of the state.

I am thinking it is the right day to go to the grocery to stock up before it gets worse, especially since the rain and the early morning old people's shopping hour might keep many people home.

I hope the strategy worked. Bad weather is a good strategy. I plan to go tomorrow morning when it will be rainy and a little snowy. The store I'm planning to go to has senior hours Tuesday through Thursday. Hopefully it will work out well. Our county has 1250 cases now. The epicenter is a religious community with deep ties to NYC, so no one was surprised. But the virus is widespread now, diminishing as one goes north and west. So I am going north and west. The next county to the north has fewer than 10% of the number of cases in our county. So next time I may have to go further north. We are not directly contiguous with the city, but we're close enough for commuting. This will be my first shopping expedition in over 2 weeks. Hope to set us up for 6 weeks with what we have left and what I hope to buy. We may be eating oatmeal 3 times a day by the end of 6 weeks, though! But we won't starve.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
:eek:topic:
I am taking my 14 year old Beagle Charli to the vet at 2 pm today.. cannot put it off any longer. He has severe allergies, needs a shot regularly and already has chewed his paws and underside to a scary degree.. he is bathed once a week with a special shampoo which helps... when we arrive at the vet's office for his appointment I am to phone the front desk and the technician will come out to the car to get him.. the vet will consult with me by phone then the tech will bring him back to the car again when his exam is finished... strange times...:disapp:

noskates

Record Breaker
Ohhh - I hope Charli is okay. My Siamese, Benjamin, needs an antibiotic shot about every other month and our vet has the same arrangement. I think in general people are trying to find creative ways to continue business without putting people at further risk. We've been able to get groceries as needed - other than paper products - pet food, etc. We had to increase the bandwidth on our internet because son and daughter-in-law are working from home and granddaughter is doing online college classes. But it's working. My major complaint right now is the banning of figure skating YouTubes. What is with that anyway? The good news is I haven't heard of any figure skaters who've contracted the virus. Has anybody else?

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ohhh - I hope Charli is okay. My Siamese, Benjamin, needs an antibiotic shot about every other month and our vet has the same arrangement. I think in general people are trying to find creative ways to continue business without putting people at further risk. We've been able to get groceries as needed - other than paper products - pet food, etc. We had to increase the bandwidth on our internet because son and daughter-in-law are working from home and granddaughter is doing online college classes. But it's working. My major complaint right now is the banning of figure skating YouTubes. What is with that anyway? The good news is I haven't heard of any figure skaters who've contracted the virus. Has anybody else?

Who has banned figure skating youtubes?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
While I am normally not a huge fan of repeating programs (although as an adult skater I do lol) I actually hope Jason keeps SL another season. I don't think he's reached his full potential with that program. Either way, I'll be happy with whatever he does.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have clicked on some YouTubes and they displayed a message that they were not available. I don't know if it's because it was during a time period when they would be broadcast on NBC or what. Very annoying. Trying to find one now to show the message. Hasn't anybody else had this problem? If you look in the competition threads for videos????

Hah!
Video unavailable
This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Whose copyright grounds?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As always, the reality is (whether or not any of us like it ... and whether or not it is good for the sport):

If NBC has purchased U.S. media rights for figure skating video [ETA: from a large group of specific competitions], then NBC is legally entitled to block U.S. access to bootleg uploads of the video [ETA: from those competitions] by unauthorized channels.​

... My oldest niece did one of those "We Stay Here so You Stay at Home" photos with all the nurses on her floor, they are a cardiac ICU at a major teaching hospital in Philadelphia. Challenging times:pray:

Thank you to your niece and all the nurses for staying on the job. :bow:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have clicked on some YouTubes and they displayed a message that they were not available. I don't know if it's because it was during a time period when they would be broadcast on NBC or what. Very annoying. Trying to find one now to show the message. Hasn't anybody else had this problem? If you look in the competition threads for videos????

Hah!
Video unavailable
This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Whose copyright grounds?

Olympic Channel has been broadcasting replays of Nationals lately. That might have prompted the copyright warnings. They had all those broadcast hours slotted for World's and no content.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice