Gracie Gold | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

Icey

Record Breaker
Sadly, now, it is almost Ashely who? Things can change quickly and they will for Gracie if she has only middling success at the Olympics. Ashley is just as attractive and, in some ways, more attractive than Gracie. But I don't recall people going on and on about it. Gracie looks brassy and harsh to me. She needs to soften her look imo.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
First, she needs the results. She's never won a major international competition right? Second, she needs media training. She's okay in interviews but doesn't come across as particularly charismatic or engaging. At this point skaters like Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu have way more personality. Third, she needs a stylist. It's nitpicking but her recent looks off ice don't do much for her marketability. I do agree that she has huge potential. I'm also surprised that some people don't find her attractive, but I suppose everyone has their preferences.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
First, she needs the results. She's never won a major international competition right? Second, she needs media training. She's okay in interviews but doesn't come across as particularly charismatic or engaging. At this point skaters like Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu have way more personality. Third, she needs a stylist. It's nitpicking but her recent looks off ice don't do much for her marketability. I do agree that she has huge potential. I'm also surprised that some people don't find her attractive, but I suppose everyone has their preferences.

She is only 18. Have you spoken to an 18 year old lately?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That's an interesting point.There used to be fan forums all over the net for many skaters. This doesn't seem so popular any more. Besides Yuna, Mao, and Plushenko, are there any dedicated fan forums left? (The Michelle Kwan Forum is still in business, but since Michelle has retired from skating it is down to a handful of die-hards now.)

Prince Hanyu has devoted forum: http://yuzuruhanyu.forumatic.com/ :)
Gracie has a website so a forum is not that far away

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
:laugh: :yes: , by the way, who the heck is Grace Kelly?, why are all of you obsessed with her :scratch:???

Being a Philadelphian I am aggrieved that no one would know who the late Grace Kelly is! Her late Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco and 1950's movie star - originally from Philadelphia, PA. :biggrin: Her late dad and brother were both Olympians too btw as is her son, the reigning Prince of Monaco, Albert.

louisa05

Final Flight
There is nothing unusual about the media coverage that Gracie is getting as the new U.S. Champ in an Olympic year.

And the people at yahoo clearly have not done their homework about the sport. As has been observed here over and over, Gracie will need two squeaky clean programs and a lot of mistakes by competitors to win. We haven't seen the first from her yet.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There is nothing unusual about the media coverage that Gracie is getting as the new U.S. Champ in an Olympic year.

And the people at yahoo clearly have not done their homework about the sport. As has been observed here over and over, Gracie will need two squeaky clean programs and a lot of mistakes by competitors to win. We haven't seen the first from her yet.

she was almost clean at nationals, her confidence has improved in a way, her many media coverage in the US is a training step for her
to not have doubts in her programs when she skates on the Olympics ice. Gracie if clean she will break the 200+ barrier too

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Being a Philadelphian I am aggrieved that no one would know who the late Grace Kelly is! Her late Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco and 1950's movie star - originally from Philadelphia, PA. :biggrin: Her late dad and brother were both Olympians too as is her son, the reigning Prince of Monaco, Albert.

Don't worry, SS, I knew/know who the lovely Grace Kelly was/is. :)

I am no movie expert, and I have never understood the fuss over some stars (e.g., Marilyn Monroe), but Grace Kelly was in a league all of her own. Hitchcock's Rear View was a good one (Jimmy Stewart is another favorite of mine).

(And I don't see any basis for comparing Gracie Gold to Grace Kelly -- other than their first names. But ... if Grace Kelly could inspire young Gracie to value elegance, perhaps they eventually could have a little more in common.)

Barb

Record Breaker
Being a Philadelphian I am aggrieved that no one would know who the late Grace Kelly is! Her late Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco and 1950's movie star - originally from Philadelphia, PA. :biggrin: Her late dad and brother were both Olympians too btw as is her son, the reigning Prince of Monaco, Albert. Of course the Kelly's are Society Hill. My family is more Rocky Balboa territory. Yo! :rock:

Usually I don´t watch old movies :eek::, I only watched "gone with the wind", "Casablanca" and "Lawrence of Arabia" and just because those movies are super famous. Do you recommend a Grace´s movie in special?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

I am no movie expert, and I have never understood the fuss over some stars (e.g., Marilyn Monroe), but Grace Kelly was in a league all of her own. Hitchcock's Rear View was a good one (Jimmy Stewart is another favorite of mine).

Ah, you warm the heart of this old Philadelphian! Actually, as a child in the late '70s-early '80s I grew up hearing about the Kelly's all the time - it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't be much of a big deal outside of the area. :biggrin:

Usually I don´t watch old movies :eek::, I only watched "gone with the wind", "Casablanca" and "Lawrence of Arabia" and just because those movies are super famous. Do you recommend a Grace´s movie in special?

That's fine! I love those old Hollywood movies too actually! I love Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' and also 'The Country Girl' but growing up I really knew of her more as a Princess. I didn't find out until I was older that she had been a movie star who gave up Hollywood once she married a ruling Prince. It seemed all of my life growing up in Philly there was always something in the papers about the Kelly's - and especially Princess Grace and her children by Prince Rainier. I remember I cried when she died. It was as much of a shock as it was years later when Princess Diana died (I cried for her too). For the record, the late Princess Grace's children have all lived lives worthy of Peyton Place - they make the boring Windsors look like a so-so afternoon soap opera in comparison. Her grandchildren are more or less behaving for the moment but thank goodness they at least got their late grandmother's beauty genes! The paparazzi love them as much as those Windsors too! Especially Princess Caroline's kids. :cool:

I am an old movie buff, and I remember Kelly from both her films and her later "career" as the Princess of Monaco. One thing that always struck me about Grace Kelly's beauty is how timeless it was, partly from innate appearance and partly from the style she adopted. Her hair and clothing were always classic. She never wore the fussy, overly structured clothing of the 1950s. Even Audrey Hepburn's 1950s looks (those flat hats and the severe short-bangs hairstyle, along with the exaggerated hourglass New Look dresses) now seem dated and a bit stiff. By contrast, you could show a photo of Kelly today and believe her to be a young woman of 2013, not in cutting-edge fashion but in maybe a Ralph Lauren ad or on the cover of Town and Country magazine.

As for Gracie Gold, I think the felicitous coincidence of her name is certainly part of the reason she sticks in people's minds. And yes, she is very pretty, and though she looks young, she doesn't look like a baby pixie the way a lot of very young skaters do. So one doesn't feel like a stalker of kids when looking at her.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Gracie's media/news features are unprecedented in todays FS standard let alone in north american media
she has had sports ilustrated cover, beauty mag features and endorsements, numerous articles in the media
sport analysis for the ladies, Gracie is a gold medal contender: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...kating-preview-ladies-to-watch-222158140.html

Gracie deserves all the hype, but her media coverage so far is hardly unprecedented ;)

Check this out: Media Coverage Front page on every single newspaper in the country. :jaw:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie deserves all the hype, but her media coverage so far is hardly unprecedented ;)

Check this out: Media Coverage Front page on every single newspaper in the country. :jaw:

US media is way bigger, influential and has higher circulation than the local Korean media/press
so I say Gracie has more feature than even Kim Yuna has locally

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The Gracie Gold updates/news

sorry for creating another thread, but can we pls ask the mods to move/merge other Gracie Gold topics here :)
as there have been complains of multiple threads

Gracie has been getting news/fatures everyday

Gracie Golds's road to Gold in Sochi: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sully-in-sochi/road-to-sochi-gracie-gold-20140130
Talk about having the perfect name for an Olympics! Gold, 18, burst into the spotlight and became the top U.S. hope for a gold medal in Sochi with a dazzling breakout performance at the national figure skating championships last month in Boston.

Young Skaters Inspired By Gracie Gold's Success by NBC !:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Young-Skaters-Inspired-By-Gracie-Golds-Success-242829481.html
"I hope that in three years I can be just as good as her, and it will just take a lot of hard work and dedication to the sport," said 15-year-old Skyla Swain, who trains at the club.

Bradie Tennell is another 15-year-old skater with dreams of following in Gracie's golden footsteps -- or should we say, skates.

"She's an amazing skater. I look up to her for everything she does. Her jumps are amazing," Tennell said. "Hopefully I make it on the world team someday, then one day the Olympics."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ie-Golds-Success-242829481.html#ixzz2rxHaLUbS

has Kwan ever achieved this kind of attention in an Olympics Season ? I didnt recall this many articles as Gracie have now