Gracie Gold | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie Gold's top viewed video on YouTube is her winning FS at Nationals with 200,642 views.

Jason Brown's FS at Nationals has 3,340,425.

Just saying.

Gracie who? ;)

As for Michelle Kwan, no need to worry about her. Lolo Jones just tweeted that Michelle Kwan inspired her to pretend to figure skate in her living room....what high-profile Olympic star has Gracie Gold inspired lately? :laugh:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that is why because of the many threads of Gracie

I think we can request the mods to merge/move it here
the threads about gracie's sports illustrated, gracie goes for gold and other threads that were created previously
as there have been numerous complains of multiple threads

Icey

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold's top viewed video on YouTube is her winning FS at Nationals with 200,642 views.

Jason Brown's FS at Nationals has 3,340,425.

Just saying.

Gracie who? ;)

As for Michelle Kwan, no need to worry about her. Lolo Jones just tweeted that Michelle Kwan inspired her to pretend to figure skate in her living room....what high-profile Olympic star has Gracie Gold inspired lately? :laugh:

That's not exactly fair, as Gracie has just arrived on the scene, has not established an extensive record, etc. So it is very unlikely she would have inspired any current Olympians, but I bet she has inspired lots of young skaters, which is just as important.

donezo

On the Ice
There is unfortunately a double standard for female athletes when it comes to sponsorship and endorsement opportunities in the U.S. Looks and packaging can carry you a long way even when the results aren't there. Look no further than Lolo Jones, who is a household name in the U.S. despite an unremarkable Olympic track record. Figure skating is certainly not immune to this. Nancy Kerrigan was rolling in endorsements long before Tonya Harding-gate, while Kristi Yamaguchi really struggled to cash in on her Olympic gold medal.

My point is that the bar is pretty low for Gracie Gold to profit from these Olympics. If she wins, she will be a multi-millionaire. Even if she doesn't, there will still be opportunities for her that weren't there for Rachael Flatt and won't be for Ashley Wagner. She's already on the cover of SI despite never winning a World Championship medal. That is a difficult task to accomplish for a figure skater in the U.S. She is extremely talented, but she is lucky that she has her looks and personality to fall back on.

wallylutz

Medalist
That's not exactly fair, as Gracie has just arrived on the scene, has not established an extensive record, etc. So it is very unlikely she would have inspired any current Olympians, but I bet she has inspired lots of young skaters, which is just as important.

Nah, Mirai is already a source of inspiration for Ashley. That's what Ashley said. Funny how Mirai is but Gracie isn't.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
compilation of Gracie's endorsements and interview videos:

Gracie Gold for Visa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXglu6MTHUI
Gracie Gold Cover Girl fluffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSmZSsJtgk

Interview with Jay Leno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWLK3HaXEVU
Interview with Michelle Kwan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7v9roPxsU
Gracie on the Today Show after Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBb6iKlj6U, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZMqraTtQFI

Gracie Gold official webpage http://figureskatersonline.com/graciegold/:
Go for Gold Gracie in Sochi ! :)

Laybackspin

Rinkside
I have yet to see a Gracie commercial. One might argue that it's because I live in canada but I have seen more ashley commercials than anything. seriously that girl is everywhere! I either see an ashley commercial or a Gracie w/ ashley w/ other figure skaters/Olympians commercial. I find this very strange because I have yet to see kaetlyn osmond or Patrick Chan on Canadian TV and the only tessa and Scott commercials are for their reality show. I bet more Canadians know about ashley, Gracie and D/W than their own skaters.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not a Gracie fan at all but I definitely see her in the top ten. Whether she deserves to be there or not who knows...yet.

miki88

Medalist
I am an old movie buff, and I remember Kelly from both her films and her later "career" as the Princess of Monaco. One thing that always struck me about Grace Kelly's beauty is how timeless it was, partly from innate appearance and partly from the style she adopted. Her hair and clothing were always classic. She never wore the fussy, overly structured clothing of the 1950s. Even Audrey Hepburn's 1950s looks (those flat hats and the severe short-bangs hairstyle, along with the exaggerated hourglass New Look dresses) now seem dated and a bit stiff. By contrast, you could show a photo of Kelly today and believe her to be a young woman of 2013, not in cutting-edge fashion but in maybe a Ralph Lauren ad or on the cover of Town and Country magazine.

I don't agree with this. Most of Kelly's dresses in films were designed by Edith Head, whose style tended to be conservative. She looked beautiful but her style was very much of that period. In contrast, Hepburn turned away from Edith and chose Givenchy. Her costumes from 'Sabrina' were much more modern looking. Of course, they were even more so by the sixties. And Hepburn's hairstyle is still copied among celebrities and models, whereas I don't see the same for Kelly, who had the typical 50's hairdo for much of her film career.

meem

On the Ice
Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I am an old movie buff, and I remember Kelly from both her films and her later "career" as the Princess of Monaco. One thing that always struck me about Grace Kelly's beauty is how timeless it was, partly from innate appearance and partly from the style she adopted. Her hair and clothing were always classic. She never wore the fussy, overly structured clothing of the 1950s. Even Audrey Hepburn's 1950s looks (those flat hats and the severe short-bangs hairstyle, along with the exaggerated hourglass New Look dresses) now seem dated and a bit stiff. By contrast, you could show a photo of Kelly today and believe her to be a young woman of 2013, not in cutting-edge fashion but in maybe a Ralph Lauren ad or on the cover of Town and Country magazine.

I don't agree with this. Most of Kelly's dresses in films were designed by Edith Head, whose style tended to be conservative. She looked beautiful but her style was very much of that period. In contrast, Hepburn turned away from Edith and chose Givenchy. Her costumes from 'Sabrina' were much more modern looking. Of course, they were even more so by the sixties. And Hepburn's hairstyle is still copied among celebrities and models, whereas I don't see the same for Kelly, who had the typical 50's hairdo for much of her film career.

I'm with Olympia on this one. I happened to catch Rear Window one night last year and was amazed at the clothes GK wore as well as how pretty her hairstyle was, especially when it was pulled back into a twist. Her timeless look reminds me of Jackie Kennedy's photos from the 50's and 60's (showing JK in clothes I'd love to wear today but, unfortunately, can't find in stores I can afford to shop in ;>)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
amazing, Gracie's media buzz is huge, I dont thnk its Yuna's gold medal to lose now
even Kwan never headlined as the face of Winter Olympics !

more from Olympic Gold medal contender Gracie:
Figure skater Gracie Gold promoted as face of America for Winter Olympics in Sochi

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/o...mpics-nbc-u-s-article-1.1599214#ixzz2sEYNeP4b

With Lindsey Vonn out of the Olympics, Gold has become the U.S.' singular glamour athlete headed to the Games. The 18-year-old says she thinks snagging a medal at 2014 Winter Olympics is a 'realistic goal.'

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
she is closing in for the Gold medal

Gracie's unprecedented headlines as Face of the Olympics
some previous skaters like Kwan has never achieved !
if she passes above 200 mark score in the Olympics , she will be the first American Lady to do so

more from Olympic Gold medal contender Gracie:
Figure skater Gracie Gold promoted as face of America for Winter Olympics in Sochi

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/o...mpics-nbc-u-s-article-1.1599214#ixzz2sEYNeP4b

With Lindsey Vonn out of the Olympics, Gold has become the U.S.' singular glamour athlete headed to the Games. The 18-year-old says she thinks snagging a medal at 2014 Winter Olympics is a 'realistic goal.'

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You mean she is closing in for "gold of endorsement", right? :biggrin:

Gracie can score above the 200+ like at nationals if clean
she has speed, power, big jumps, attractive body type and face and has the components to score big

intimidated she will challenge Yuna for the gold medal ?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Maybe we should just cancel the ladies event and GIVE Gracie the Gold medal.
If it's written in the stars........................................
I am now going to bang my head against a brick wall hoping that sanity has been restored & other skaters just as talented/more talented as Gracie might be given the attention & respect they deserve.
I live in hope.

Come on, we all live in a fancy. Aren't you going to be happy to see a pretty girl like Gracie to do well, especially in figure where looks are as charming as talent? :laugh:

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Gracie can score above the 200+ like at nationals if clean
she has speed, power, big jumps, attractive body type and face and has the components to score big

intimidated she will challenge Yuna for the gold medal ?

What makes you think I am not happy for Gracie to win? Well, though I didn't say much about Gracie, my favorite skater is in fact Gracie, and Li. Funny though, as for Li, I didn't like her skating much. Even when everybody went crazy about Li at 2013 Worlds, I was the one who largely criticized Li's performances, but now I am really taken into this girl. Notwithstanding my affection is one thing; my assessment is another. To put it simply, Gracie is not yet, nor Li. A skater cannot be a phenom over night. But let's wait and hope she peaks at Sochi.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
LOL. if the NYDN declares it, it must be true! :laugh: :sarcasm:

the media articles of Gracie as a gold medal contender is unprecedented you cannot deny that
also the US media/press is very influential and can sway the judges and you really dont think Gracie Gracie wont be on the podium if she is clean ?

if Yuna makes some glare errors in the FS and the other gold contender hopefuls also
I don't see why Gracie has no shot at the gold medal
Yuna isnt the only hegemonic gold medal contender

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
the media articles of Gracie as a gold medal contender is unprecedented you cannot deny that
also the US media/press is very influential and can sway the judges and you really dont think Gracie Gracie wont be on the podium if she is clean ?

if Yuna makes some glare errors in the FS and the other gold contender hopefuls also
I don't see why Gracie has no shot at the gold medal
Yuna isnt the only hegemonic gold medal contender

Hate to break it to you, but the NYDN is about two steps above a tabloid. :p

louisa05

Final Flight
Hate to break it to you, but the NYDN is about two steps above a tabloid. :p

Nooooooo.....

Just be quiet, don't tell the ISU judges who are combing through Olympic preview stories from every major country so they can use them to determine a gold medalist.

Not sure why the skaters even have to perform. Clearly, it is all based on tabloid stories and magazine cover stats. With the security questions and the cost of travel and such, it seems like it would be better for everyone if they just sent out the medals once they went through the media coverage and picked the winner accordingly!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
also the US media/press is very influential and can sway the judges

:rofl: You keep outdoing yourself... Please do keep going. :laugh:

Wait, doesn't this mean you're saying Gold's results will be due to US media getting involved?

But when it comes to the US media influencing Sale/Pelletier's gold, all of a sudden you're outraged. :rolleye: