Gracie Gold | Page 89 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

Scout

Final Flight
^^I don't think anyone has ever deserved a standing ovation more than Gracie (although Joannie at the 2010 Olympics is also waaaay up there). That 12th place is the biggest success story of the night. I mentioned this in the competition thread, but given all that she's been through and conquered, to me, regardless of how the jumps went, I saw that 4 minutes as a victory lap, and I think that's why I was in tears from the very start.

Does anyone know what she needs to place do to get funding and to not have to do Sectionals/Regionals next year? I know Megan Wessenberg came in ...17th? 19th? at Nationals one year and got the Skate America host pick based on how well she did in summer comps.

I'm not actually sure, but if she continues to progress and does well at summer competitions, she could get a SA host spot, which would allow her to skip Regionals & Sectionals.

princessalica

Final Flight
I’m ready for her to get new programs. Especially the lp, it was fitting for this year, but I’m excited for what’s next.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not in the know about coaches. Are her current coaches good enough to take her further?

I don’t know but I trust her to make good decisions. I’d rather see her happy, healthy and 12th at Nationals than with someone like Raf who, while a great coach for some, (Adam, Mariah, my Knierims) I fear would put her right back into disordered eating. She and her current coaches are responsible for her amazing improvement from Regionals to Sectionals to Nationals. They seem to be a good combo to me. I’m hardly an expert though.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I don't think Raf would put her back into an eating disorder, Ashley Wagner was never dropping weight for competition. Raf isn't a super hands on coach, and seems to focus on teaching his sort of technique for things and I don't think Gracie should go to someone who would tweak her technique a ton. I really don't think Gracie is the sort of skater who would fit Raf's technique.

I do think right now her coaches are guiding her in the right direction and that she has a good support system so that is what matters. She needs whatever support system gives her the confidence and mental strength to move forward.

She posted instagram stories today and she's back to working out. I think good things are ahead for her.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She posted an Instagram picture where she looks really thin and I’m trying (and failing) to not be concerned. And someone, who I would punch in the nose if I knew who they were, is asking how much weight she’s lost.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
The crowd went CRAZY. I wonder if that’s more pressure.

It was a "crazy" with love and support for her courage to continue with skating and she made it to Nationals! Being there, it was great to be in that crowd showing so much love.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was a "crazy" with love and support for her courage to continue with skating and she made it to Nationals! Being there, it was great to be in that crowd showing so much love.

Me too. I was so happy to be there and to give her my dozen red roses. But being in the stands I was not sure how she would interpret it. From watching the TV broadcasts, it came through correctly.

macy

Record Breaker
She posted an Instagram picture where she looks really thin and I’m trying (and failing) to not be concerned. And someone, who I would punch in the nose if I knew who they were, is asking how much weight she’s lost.

i think she looks healthy. she looks like an athlete. we have to remember if she wants to be an international caliber athlete again, she has to be very fit and strong.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think she looks healthy. she looks like an athlete. we have to remember if she wants to be an international caliber athlete again, she has to be very fit and strong.

Honestly I think she looks frighteningly thin. I hope we don’t forget that “very fit and strong” doesn’t mean “frighteningly thin.” I was recently listening to an audiobook about Nassau where they started a feeding program for the 96 US Olympic Gymnastics team where they would feed the athletes a healthy, high protein snack for every 3-4 hours of training. The coaches of the other countries said they looked like elephants, but since they won the gold medal they were clearly very fit and strong.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Honestly I think she looks frighteningly thin. I hope we don’t forget that “very fit and strong” doesn’t mean “frighteningly thin.” I was recently listening to an audiobook about Nassau where they started a feeding program for the 96 US Olympic Gymnastics team where they would feed the athletes a healthy, high protein snack for every 3-4 hours of training. The coaches of the other countries said they looked like elephants, but since they won the gold medal they were clearly very fit and strong.

With the kind of circuit training she is doing she looks good to me, and her working with professional trainers makes me feel like she is doing fine. Professional trainers also focus on what you eat when doing training because when training that much you need to actually up your calorie intake. Muscle building leads to increases in metabolism as well so with what she is doing I expect her body to be changing naturally. I don't think it's concerning because I trust the team around her, no personal trainer is going to let her starve herself.