Glacier Falls Summer Classic | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Glacier Falls Summer Classic

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Nobody has any video of Courtney or Polina??

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I just watched Chen's FS: her jumps have improved a lot! Good job, Karen! :clap:

I read she was injured just before US Nationals Jrs (that and she was like one head smaller than everyone, she seem to have grown since) maybe that is why? Go Karen!! (Pllllllzzz survive puberty)

Eclair

Medalist
Adding to the videos, Richard Dornbush's LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOUkwekh7-M

Thank you for the link!
I LOVE the music cut! It's new, original, uplifting, classy, emotional, dramatic, harmonic, gentle..... I was not sure about the Beatles medly at first but now that I've heard it I'm very impressed.

Now to the downside of his new LP: the choreography :confused: There's absolutly no connection between his choreography and the music. Take the footwork sequence: it could have been a real highlight, since the music then is, but it's just boring, dull, standard footwork you could put on every kind of music. Who's the choreographer? Whoever did this was obviously not putting a lot of time into it.
Same goes for all those slow (probably intended to look artistic and soulful) arm movements all over the place at the wrong time, too often and excessivly repeated.
And those two split jumps at the end: they take away stamina unnecessarily only to enhance the music in a plump way. Really, I'm disappointed in his choreographer and hope that he left out the good parts of the choreogaphy because he's still practicing it....

Karen Chen is incredible. She's the full package. The only thing to nitpick: A little more speed would do her good. Not that she's slow right now, but when looking back at all the Cop skaters who survived puberty monsters, those with great speed to begin with did better than those who had mediate to slow speed. E.g. Yuna, Mao, Caro, Kanako, Gracie, Christina Gao, Courtney Hicks vs. slow skaters like Caroline Zhang, Risa Shoji ... It's not exactly science but more speed wouldn't harm I believe;)

Scout

Final Flight
Wow! Karen Chen's jumps were very impressive. It seemed like she had good height, good flow and took her time with them. You can tell they were all clean (minus the minor mishap on the double toe). Good fast spins too, although there are some positions that I'd like to see a tiny bit cleaner.

She seemed to have good speed right at the onset, then slowed down a bit. If she can maintain the speed she started with, she'd be golden. I'm very excited to see her on the JGP!

M

mylastduchess

Anybody have the full results for the men and more videos

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Here is Courtney's FS to Evita complete with wardrobe malfunction at the end. :laugh: She handled it well though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAoyxoN6VyY

I see improvements in her overall presentation. She's not as rushed which is good but I do think she needs to finish out her movements a little more. Solid program for her. No 3-3 which means she can score even better than the 122 she got here. She's definitely making a strong case for that 3rd spot...

Scout

Final Flight
Great skate by Courtney - at least jumping-wise. She didn't sell the program for me, but it's early in the season.

macy

Record Breaker
SO impressed with karen chen. praying she has no trouble with the puberty monster...i absolutely love her. her jumps have improved so much this season. if they don't give her 2 jgp's there's something wrong. i see a US junior champ this year also :) courtney is all speed and jumps, i know it's early in the season but she needs to sell the program, but there is potential. i skated to part of the cut she used to don't cry for me argentina a few years back :)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Top 6 men:Jason Brown, Richard Dornbush, Shotoro Omori, Vincent Zhou, MichaelMartinez (Philippines) & Keegan Messing.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Karen is good, but her technique on the 3Lz-3T reminds me of Adelina's. Look how pitch forward she landed, and had to muscled the 3T at the end. This combo would not survive puberty.
Her 2A-3T is much better. I have no doubt she can retain this combo.

bluesky85

On the Ice
Karen is good, but her technique on the 3Lz-3T reminds me of Adelina's. Look how pitch forward she landed, and had to muscled the 3T at the end. This combo would not survive puberty.

Really?? I heard people saying how good her jump techniques were, so I thought most of her jumps would stay and survive the puberty... But then it's only what I heard and my eyes are not sharp enough yet to notice and predict these things...

Can anybody explain to me how to tell good jumping techniques...?
How do you know what kind of jumps would survive puberty and what wouldn't?
What are the differences between the jumps that actually survive the puberty (ex. Gracie Gold, Yuna Kim, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, etc.) vs. the ones that don't...??
Could jump techniques be changed along the way to survive the puberty?

Thanks!

Eclair

Medalist
Really?? I heard people saying how good her jump techniques were, so I thought most of her jumps would stay and survive the puberty... But then it's only what I heard and my eyes are not sharp enough yet to notice and predict these things...

Can anybody explain to me how to tell good jumping techniques...?
How do you know what kind of jumps would survive puberty and what wouldn't?
What are the differences between the jumps that actually survive the puberty (ex. Gracie Gold, Yuna Kim, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, etc.) vs. the ones that don't...??
Could jump techniques be changed along the way to survive the puberty?

Thanks!

There's no 100% certainity whether a jump would survive puberty or not since it also depends on how puberty individually takes shape. Generally girls with more curves are going to have more problems dealing with jumping issues, than slim ones.

But skaters with following techniques have a good chance of surviving puberty:
1. big, high jumps with a lot of ice coverage e.g. courtney hicks vs. small ones (caroline zhang)
2. jumps with good centering vs. loopsided ones
3. skaters with lots of speed (e.g. yuna, mao, caro, courtney, gracie, christina gao) vs. slow skaters (caroline zhang, rika shoji)
4. consistent junior skaters
5. effortless looking jumps vs. e.g. leaning forward/either side too much or mule kicking on toe jumps, skating fastly and with transitions into a jump vs. slowing down right before jumping
6. axel jump: jumping out of the circle vs. jumping into the circle
7. lutz/ flip: correct edge vs. incorrect edge. if a junior skater already has a wonky-edged lutz, it's unlikly they're going to have a lutz when adult
8. junior skaters who already underrotate tend to lose their jumps with puberty

kwanatic

Record Breaker

I see what you mean on her FS combo. Her SP combo was a little better though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqxWK1DOEd8&feature=player_detailpage&t=56

I've seen worse muscling on the 2nd jump; she actually had a nice pop/spring into the 2nd jump with a decent amount of height and ride out. Sometimes growing taller adds speed and power to jumps; other times it destroys them. Whether or not that combo survives will depend on which category she ends up in.

I do think that 2-3 is pretty safe though. Great 2A, nice delayed lutz.... Her technique looks solid enough so as long as her body changes don't throw her off too much she may escape the evil Pubertus without too many issues. You can never tell for sure though...