Australian figure skaters | Page 115 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sad news everyone.
Macquarie Centre management have made the decision to demolish the Macquarie Ice Rink next year, for the purpose to make way for centre upgrades. This was the ice rink that hosted nationals last month.

WHAT? No!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sad news everyone.
Macquarie Centre management have made the decision to demolish the Macquarie Ice Rink next year, for the purpose to make way for centre upgrades. This was the ice rink that hosted nationals last month.

I heard this on the radio and almost cried! This is awful news and so unfair! They just refurbished the rink and it's always so well used! It's been around for 30 years!

AMP (the owners of Macquarie Centre) should hang their heads in shame!

Also petition to save the rink: http://chng.it/9yWfRpCZ

GF2445

Record Breaker
I heard this on the radio and almost cried! This is awful news and so unfair! They just refurbished the rink and it's always so well used! It's been around for 30 years!

AMP (the owners of Macquarie Centre) should hang their heads in shame!

Also petition to save the rink: http://chng.it/9yWfRpCZ

So the reason seems to be that they want to create more access for the metro trains and other transport hub services.
Surely the centre could have been able to let them know earlier that this was their intention.

Sydney just lost Norwest icerink in late 2017. Even though there are plans for that rink to move to a new site, who knows how many years it will take for that to happen?

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I saw the recent national championships in Sydney at this rink. It is a world class facility which serves many skaters, as well as hockey players and short track athletes local to the general area.

I guess one of the issues I have with removing any popular recreational attraction, is that when it is discovered by the powers that be somewhere down the tracks that it was utilised after all, it takes so much more time, money and red tape to relaunch a new facility elsewhere.

What frustrates me is that when Victoria closed three of its rinks, it took a decade for sporting bodies to realise the mistake they made, a tremendous cost to replace them, and years until the state produced championship level skaters again.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Tilly and William will be finishing their season campaign at the 2019 Winter Universiade in Krasnoyarsk, Russia next month. We congratulate them for the entry into the Universiade, which is the most prestigious event in University elite sports, and wish them the best of luck.

Their entry into the Universiade means that they will likely not be taking part in the World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Zagreb, Croatia- which is being held at the same time.

ISA is yet to release a document on who will be representing Australia and Junior and Senior Worlds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
As I was surfing Youtube, Holly Harris' SP appeared on my feed, and remembered how wonderful her skating is.
She hasn't competed in years despite her insta looking like she still skates.
Has there been any news about her since her injury?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As I was surfing Youtube, Holly Harris' SP appeared on my feed, and remembered how wonderful her skating is.
She hasn't competed in years despite her insta looking like she still skates.
Has there been any news about her since her injury?

I vaguely remember hearing some gossip about her taking up ice dance, but I don't know how reliable that might have been.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I vaguely remember hearing some gossip about her taking up ice dance, but I don't know how reliable that might have been.

I can see her doing ice dance. Holly has good attention to her leg lines and extension of her arms.
Thanks for the heads up.

toots

Rinkside
Was waiting for this to start. I’m sure that’s why the NSW Instagram page has restarted ready to promote her next season - it will be full on regardless of results. Pretty sure your up to speed GF2445 - it’s kind of funny . It will be good to see some competition in dance with a few good seniors but let’s hope all of the dancers who have been working for years get equal support and publicity.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Dear @toots,
In response to your post relating to a question I posted on this thread on April 12, I am wondering how is it 'kind of funny' of me to ask about the status of an upcoming skater who has been missing from competition for years?

Let me reassure you that I am no way affiliated with any part of the Australian Figure Skating Community whatsoever. I am just a skating fan who is from Australia. I have never been part of a skating club or done any skating other than public sessions with school friends years ago in hire boots. I am not in anyone's circles, especially not with any skater or coach, or from any of the governing bodies such as ISA or NSWISA (and the other state equivalents), or the OWIA. I am not their mouthpiece. All opinions are my own, and mine alone.

Also in response to the last portion of your post, upon reflection of the comments I have made on GS, I believe my comments have shown that I am a fan of all Australian Skaters who compete internationally and at home, and have nothing to do with any factions that might be in the Australian skating community. I have shown extremely high praise for all the teams in Australia's Ice Dance Program. Not once am I aware of any my comments showing any kind of favouritism.

I frankly and with great respect to your opinion, find great displeasure in what your comments are insinuating.
Regards,
GF2445

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Speaking of Aussie skaters - Macquarie Ice Rink is having their annual gala next Thursday!

Tickets can be ordered here: https://form.jotform.co/70662665994875

Among the skaters appearing will be Brendan Kerry :biggrin: along with Matilda and William and Chantelle and Andrew. Looks like it'll be great fun, I'm intrigued by the idea of having on ice-seating though, that's getting up close and personal to the action.

I'm planning on going, of course, although I won't be sitting on the ice! :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Speaking of Aussie skaters - Macquarie Ice Rink is having their annual gala next Thursday!

Among the skaters appearing will be Brendan Kerry :biggrin: along with Matilda and William and Chantelle and Andrew. Looks like it'll be great fun, I'm intrigued by the idea of having on ice-seating though, that's getting up close and personal to the action.

Ooooh, looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooooh, looks good.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Guys, we have one more chance to host an ISU Championship.
Sydney, Beijing, and Taipei City are the candidates for 20201 Four Continents.
The Four Continents in the penultimate season of the Olympic cycle is the most important four continents in the cycle, as it sets the stage for how the big nations will do in their quest for multiple spots for the Olympics. It is especially important in Ice Dance.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guys, we have one more chance to host an ISU Championship.
Sydney, Beijing, and Taipei City are the candidates for 20201 Four Continents.
The Four Continents in the penultimate season of the Olympic cycle is the most important four continents in the cycle, as it sets the stage for how the big nations will do in their quest for multiple spots for the Olympics. It is especially important in Ice Dance.

Yes! I saw this earlier. How exciting would it be if it happened!

I wonder if Yuzu would be showing up, if so everyone would need to get their tickets early :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
So proud of the skaters at JGP Lake Placid. So proud.

Victoria scored a 50 point SP and did 2 fully rotated triples!!!
Darien keeps improving each season- the improvement is visible.

Sadly this will be the only time we see these 2 on the JGP circuit.
We only have 1 mens spot and 1 ladies spot in 2 events.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So proud of the skaters at JGP Lake Placid. So proud.

Victoria scored a 50 point SP and did 2 fully rotated triples!!!
Darien keeps improving each season- the improvement is visible.

Sadly this will be the only time we see these 2 on the JGP circuit.
We only have 1 mens spot and 1 ladies spot in 2 events.

That's sad, Darien was lovely.