Mens SP JGP Mexico 2013 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mens SP JGP Mexico 2013

Snoopy15

On the Ice
Lazukin has a smooth, pleasingly expressive style, but he struggled with his jumps, putting two hands down on the 3a, and just eking out both jumps in the combo; only his 3lo was clean with +GOE.

Genia by contrast gave a rather tentative performance, and he had jump problems as well. His 2a had a jerky landing, and he hesitated going into the flutz combo, and those landings were eked out; he double-footed the 3lo and got a UR. Then he fell in the footwork.

I don't see these two as the equals AlexRus indicated they were. Lazukin is by far the more polished skater, and that's likely because this is his second JGP season, while Genia is a newbie. However, they both could use more work in the jump department.

I can see from AlexRus' perspective as to how they may be seen as "equal." Although Lazukin has better edging and presence on the ice, Genia seems to have a very pleasant quality to his skating that is quite pleasing to watch. The primary difference (for me at least) is how Lazukin's movements are sharper but more rushed sometimes; however, I believe that this subtle power will be very helpful in developing higher PCS as he matures and understands how to interpret his music better. Genia's movement is very soft, with more flow and patience, I believe. I understand how his performance may have been perceived as "Tentative," but I also believe it may be what the music choice calls for; it's his style to match the music. It's just something you feel when you watch them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, Brown was more 68-70 range when he wasn't doing 3a, but that was also before the 2nd half bonus was introduced for the SP. Plus I think Chen is even more impressive/has more "wow" factor just where he's skating like that at such a young age and as such a small boy. Brown was 16-17+ and pretty much full grown when he was putting out great performances lacking a 3a, and while he certainly grabs your attention, being one of the older and more mature guys at JGP events, it makes sense that his scores weren't quite as high as Nathan IMO, because he was less of a standout. I think Nathan also has better technique, Brown has a slight flutz that he sometimes gets called for which also could have impacted his scores.

Um no.

They do not give PCS scores based on age. Seriously. And I don't think the judges are any "less wowed" because Jason was a few years older in his final season on the JGP than Nathan is now.

Jason's best non-3A score is 70.20, at 2012 Jr. Worlds.

Their PCS scores are about comparable -- 33 range in the SP.

The score difference comes on TES. Nathan's TES was 4 points higher because of the 1.) putting 3-3 and 3Lo on the back end of the program, 2.) Level 4s on everything but one spin and 3.) high GOE on all his elements.

They don't deduct TES points for being "old." :rolleye:

I think both are impressive in their own way.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not deduct PCS for being old, but enhance PCS for being a young wunderkind. Happens all the time in the ladies for the 13 year old wonderbabies from Russia, not as frequent in the men because their are less wunderkinds there, for now, Chen is really the only one. The other men who are at such a high performance level on the JGP are generally 16-19 years old and physically mature.