Warm-Up Group 2
4 Mina ZDRAVKOVA / Henry AIKEN GBR
5 Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA
6 Sofia SFORZA / Francesco FIORETTI ITA
7 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA

Finnstep

Final Flight
This field certainly shrank

Demirsal/Akalin(TUR), Popova/Vlasenko(RUS), Clarkson/Chappalin(GRN), Desveaux/Razgulajevs(CAN), Smith/Eisenbauer(AUT) were originally on the entry list when ISU first updated it, but it seems like they withdrew from this JGP.

oleada

Record Breaker
Liked Edwards/Pang a lot. Especially the second half to "Anything Goes". Great score considering that the twizzles weren't done well. ( he messed up the second set - came out early, and she the third)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Who told Evdokimova & Bazin that Sixteen Tons and Hava Nagila either go together or are good for doing a quickstep SD?

Lots of mistakes in that program. No wonder the score was low.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Pl. Name Nation TSS
= TES
+ PCS
+ SS TR PE CC IT Ded.
- StN.
1 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 56.11 29.50 26.61 6.50 6.58 6.67 6.83 6.67 0.00 #7
2 Madeline EDWARDS / Zhao Kai PANG CAN 53.46 27.66 25.80 6.33 6.42 6.42 6.58 6.50 0.00 #3
3 Sofia SFORZA / Francesco FIORETTI ITA 43.97 21.83 22.14 5.50 5.42 5.50 5.75 5.50 0.00 #6
4 Sofia EVDOKIMOVA / Egor BAZIN RUS 42.71 21.99 21.72 5.67 5.58 5.17 5.50 5.25 1.00 #2
5 Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA 42.50 23.49 19.01 4.50 4.75 4.75 5.00 4.75 0.00 #5
6 Carina GLASTRIS / Nicholas LETTNER GRE 38.58 20.83 17.75 4.58 4.17 4.58 4.42 4.42 0.00 #1
7 Mina ZDRAVKOVA / Henry AIKEN GBR 29.71 16.67 13.04 3.33 3.08 3.42 3.33 3.17 0.00 #4

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Demirsal/Akalin(TUR), Popova/Vlasenko(RUS), Clarkson/Chappalin(GRN), Desveaux/Razgulajevs(CAN), Smith/Eisenbauer(AUT) were originally on the entry list when ISU first updated it, but it seems like they withdrew from this JGP.

The second Canadian couple D/R went to Mexico City but were not allowed to compete because there was a problem with their paperwork.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who told Evdokimova & Bazin that Sixteen Tons and Hava Nagila either go together or are good for doing a quickstep SD?

Lots of mistakes in that program. No wonder the score was low.

They got the -1.00 deduction for MUSIC TEMPO. And he completely messed up the twizzle right from the getgo.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian judge (#1) was the only one who gave Hawayek/Baker -1 and 0s for some of their SD elements. All the other judges gave them +GOE for every element. And they deserved it. Jean-Luc in particular is superb.

The Canadian judge (#5) placed Edwards/Pang first by both GOE and PCS, despite the messed-up twizzles.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
rightful ranking except for E/P PCS a bit inflated

lol at E/B they have been in JGP for a while but beaten by L/D in scores who just competed as a reserve in JGP

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not funny that the coach saddled them with the wrong tempo.

BTW, I&K's SD is periously close to the same problem. The music sounds more like a swing/blues SD rather than a quickstep/foxtrot/charleston sd. This is a deduction that was not taken with the wangoes of the first SD, but it looks like the judges/refs/tech panel whomever is responsible for the tempo deduction are now serious about it. Better to know at the first appearance than get dinged for it at Worlds like the Turkish senior ice dancers did.

blue eyed birds

Spectator
BTW, I&K's SD is periously close to the same problem. The music sounds more like a swing/blues SD rather than a quickstep/foxtrot/charleston sd. This is a deduction that was not taken with the wangoes of the first SD, but it looks like the judges/refs/tech panel whomever is responsible for the tempo deduction are now serious about it. Better to know at the first appearance than get dinged for it at Worlds like the Turkish senior ice dancers did.

More of a sidenote to the current topic, but since the tango was one of the permitted rhythms in 2010-11, I imagine panels would have been loath to deduct for a team's choice to use it.

I do agree that the particular team selections mentioned above for this season seem sketchy, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, the tango was an allowed rhythm, but there were a couple teams that used a tango to do the Golden Waltz to, which probably should have been penalized. I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but I'm thinking Paul & Islam had the most egregious example of trying to do the GW to a tango. There were some barely perceptible 3/4 time beats edited into the music to make it kind sorta acceptable, but it really was a tempo problem. OTOH, the T for off-time designation was not in force then. The only place to take the deduction was in the Timing PCS component. I don't recall whether the overall Incorrect Tempo deduction was in place then, or whether it came in when the T designation for missing a key point in the pattern dance came in (in addition to Y for Yes and N for No)

Finnstep

Final Flight
Carina GLASTRIS/Nicholas LETTNER (GRE):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUnTeHdvrk
Sofia EVDOKIMOVA/Egor BAZIN (RUS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulhnPGzub3c
Madeline EDWARDS/Zhao Kai PANG (CAN):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVf0fnFYsw
Mina ZDRAVKOVA/Henry AIKEN (GBR):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23LEM5LZ_0
Chloe LEWIS/Logan BYE (USA):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrLufEWVHZw
Sofia SFORZA/Francesco FIORETTI (ITA):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJsYaHICDI
Kaitlin HAWAYEK/Jean-Luc BAKER (USA):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvc01biPzkY

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, this was an awful competition! Most of the couples performed terrible twizzles (even H/B's weren't really good), and I didn't like most of the programs... But F/S in third!! :yay: What do you think about E/B's PCS? They received even 3.75... I didn't think that it was actually THAT bad artistically!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wondered whether we were seeing the effects of bad ice, high altitude, early in the season or all 3.

Yes, all these couples will hope for a better outing next time, I think.

lcd

Match Penalty
It's noteworthy when the music deduction is taken given how many hurdles the ISU committees put in place for this to be actually taken. It's like 'laws' in some countries. Lots of laws in writing. Rarely enforced.

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Yes, the tango was an allowed rhythm, but there were a couple teams that used a tango to do the Golden Waltz to, which probably should have been penalized. I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but I'm thinking Paul & Islam had the most egregious example of trying to do the GW to a tango. There were some barely perceptible 3/4 time beats edited into the music to make it kind sorta acceptable, but it really was a tempo problem. OTOH, the T for off-time designation was not in force then. The only place to take the deduction was in the Timing PCS component. I don't recall whether the overall Incorrect Tempo deduction was in place then, or whether it came in when the T designation for missing a key point in the pattern dance came in (in addition to Y for Yes and N for No)

Not to flog a horse, but Paul and Islam actually used La Cumparsita Vals, a rearrangement of a famous tango piece into 3/4 waltz time (the rearrangement was produced years before their program, too). Being blended in with the tango cuts preceding and following it may have confused the issue, but the tempo was absolutely correct.