Nobunari Oda | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nobunari Oda

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Interspectator

Record Breaker
About the Photos above, Nobu wanted to High Five Yuzu after his successful 4lo, but Yuzu didn't see him.

Pic 1: Sorry, Nobu
Pic 2: High Five!

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Congrats on the successful 4T!! Nobu's still got it :cheer: :party2:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last night I was watching the 2010 Men's Olympic LP on Youtube and watched Nobu's Chaplin program. I have to admire his calm when his skate lace broke and he fixed it and went on to finish his program as if nothing had happened. I see he got a 3 point deduction but overall finished eighth. It was also great of the Vancouver crowd to cheer him on.

His laces looked shredded to me, so I have no idea how it was fixed so quickly.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Yes, 4T without warm up and under the klieg lights, amazing! Also amazing is how despite being so tilted in the air, he saved his opening lutz in his "Liebestraum" FOI exhibition linked earlier by matmuh (0:27) with his famed soft low bending knee.

Come back to competition, Nobu!!! I miss you!!!

I miss him too and will always wonder whether he would have stayed on if he were competing for Olympic and Worlds berths for a country other than Japan.

But it's good we still get to see him in ice shows and such competitions as the 2015 Medal Winners Open in Japan where he was did 4T-3T and placed second to Evgeni Plushenko. He also beat out Jeffrey Buttle, Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek, and Takeshi Honda, who were Olympic/Worlds medalists, which sadly, he never got to be. :cry:

Oda and Che'nelle : https://instagram.com/p/3VfpgfBsPJ/?taken-by=chenelleworld
Goofy, as always :)...(between, they have matching costumes, don't you think ?)

I think. ;) And I always chuckle when he does that thing with his lips.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nobu keeps in shape. From his EX it reminded me how good his skating is with his soft knees and his spins are also really top-notch in speed and positions. He included many jumps as well.
While competing I feel he was overshadowed by Takahashi's once-in-a-lifetime artistry, and I don't know if he ever had a competitive program that did his skills justice. But he is REALLY GOOD.
Love him.
His blog is also wonderful. :points:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Nobu keeps in shape. From his EX it reminded me how good his skating is with his soft knees and his spins are also really top-notch in speed and positions. He included many jumps as well.
While competing I feel he was overshadowed by Takahashi's once-in-a-lifetime artistry, and I don't know if he ever had a competitive program that did his skills justice. But he is REALLY GOOD.
Love him.

Well Daisuke really has that "overshadowing" effect. And then Yuzuru rose so far so fast so young and Tatsuki also had this startling transformation that Nobunari really had to battle for a place in the Japanese team that Olympic season where he retired.

Re Nobunari's blog, I just look at the pictures there as I don't know Japanese, so I will just depend on you and other kind fans who know Japanese to update us when he posts some information there of note. :)

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Love him.

As the saying goes, you don't know what you've got until it's gone :hopelessness:

mikaboo

Medalist
Not HQ, but here's a longer version of the TV show. Thanks to the uploader.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571fAg_EVc4

Added a rough translation of the video if anyone's interested.

3:30
Introduction of Akiko, Nobu, Yuzuru, Miki
Everyone says that Miki is the most manly and the woman at the studio is excited that she got to see Yuzuru's abs. Miki says something to Yuzuru but she's covering the microphone so I can't decipher what she's saying but I think it's about his T-shirt almost coming off.

4:30
They're asked if it's their first time in Shizuoka.
Nobu: First time for me.
Yuzuru: First time for me too.
Miki: I'm from Aichi (neighboring prefecture) so it's not the first time.
Akiko: I used to come here often.

4:50
They're asked if they had something to eat in Shizuoka since they've arrived.
Nobu and Miki ate something delicious but I can't hear what they're saying because they're too excited.
Yuzuru says that they're too loud for both his ears and I think he wants to move next to Akiko.

5:25
The TV station brought them some sweets called "Chii Chii Mochi".
Miki said that she loves sweets and she's already had 3 sesame seed dumplings today. Nobu said that Miki's always eating and Miki denies it and Yuzuru and Akiko try to stop their bickering.

6:30
The man at the studio asks them how they control their nerves before the big stage.
Akiko: I'm always nervous but I try to be optimistic and transform the nervousness to positive power. I try to think that I can do well because I am nervous.
Nobu: I get nervous all the time to the point where I want to cry but I try to trust what I've been practicing and do my best.
The MC guy tells him that he doesn't appear to be nervous at all when he's on TV (I think because Nobu's been on TV almost everyday these days) and Nobu denies it.
Yuzuru: People always assume that I don't get nervous but I get really nervous. But I think nervousness stems from the feeling that you want to do your best so I try to value that thought.
Miki: Sometimes I get nervous, but not always. When I'm extremely nervous, I skate horribly, but when I'm nervous in a good way, I don't feel the nerves and I can enjoy myself.
Miki to Yuzuru: You don't really get nervous do you?
Yuzuru: I just said I get nervous didn't I? (Nobu says something to defend Yuzuru)

8:10
The man at the studio asks them who is the most courageous of them all and they all point to Yuzuru.
Miki says that you can't be an Olympic champion without it.

8:40
The female reporter asks them to do a pose that has something to do with Shizuoka.
Miki to Yuzuru: Can you do it? You're a champion so you can do it right?
Yuzuru: Yeah, I'm No. 1 in Japan.
Miki sips green tea.
Akiko does a grilled eel.
Yuzuru does Mt. Fuji.
Nobu does Hamamatsu gyoza.
Nobu says that they've actually been practicing backstage.

10:10
Messages to Shizuoka people.
Akiko: I'm looking forward to skating in Shizuoka. I'll do my best so you can enjoy yourselves.
Nobu: It's a fantastic ice show so I hope people in Shizuoka can come and see it.
Yuzuru: It's rare that such great skaters can gather all at once. Please come to Hamamatsu and look forward to seeing it.
Miki: I think it's the best show in Japan where all the top skaters around the world gather together. I think you can discover different aspects of figure skating. I hope to meet you at this venue.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist

I read that Nobu recently said at an event that he still practices his 4T because Yuzuru keeps on challenging him to do it at ice shows. I don't know if that's good influence or not if it weren't for their "special" relationship :p. But as long as he's healthy, at least he can still go for the prize money at MWO and maybe JO in the future with a handy quad :agree:

As the saying goes, you don't know what you've got until it's gone :hopelessness:

That's so true. Which makes me appreciate the veterans even more.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Not HQ, but here's a longer version of the TV show. Thanks to the uploader.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571fAg_EVc4

Added a rough translation of the video if anyone's interested.

3:30
Introduction of Akiko, Nobu, Yuzuru, Miki
Everyone says that Miki is the most manly and the woman at the studio is excited that she got to see Yuzuru's abs. Miki says something to Yuzuru but she's covering the microphone so I can't decipher what she's saying but I think it's about his T-shirt almost coming off.

4:30
They're asked if it's their first time in Shizuoka.
Nobu: First time for me.
Yuzuru: First time for me too.
Miki: I'm from Aichi (neighboring prefecture) so it's not the first time.
Akiko: I used to come here often.

4:50
They're asked if they had something to eat in Shizuoka since they've arrived.
Nobu and Miki ate something delicious but I can't hear what they're saying because they're too excited.
Yuzuru says that they're too loud for both his ears and I think he wants to move next to Akiko.

5:25
The TV station brought them some sweets called "Chii Chii Mochi".
Miki said that she loves sweets and she's already had 3 sesame seed dumplings today. Nobu said that Miki's always eating and Miki denies it and Yuzuru and Akiko try to stop their bickering.

6:30
The man at the studio asks them how they control their nerves before the big stage.
Akiko: I'm always nervous but I try to be optimistic and transform the nervousness to positive power. I try to think that I can do well because I am nervous.
Nobu: I get nervous all the time to the point where I want to cry but I try to trust what I've been practicing and do my best.
The MC guy tells him that he doesn't appear to be nervous at all when he's on TV (I think because Nobu's been on TV almost everyday these days) and Nobu denies it.
Yuzuru: People always assume that I don't get nervous but I get really nervous. But I think nervousness stems from the feeling that you want to do your best so I try to value that thought.
Miki: Sometimes I get nervous, but not always. When I'm extremely nervous, I skate horribly, but when I'm nervous in a good way, I don't feel the nerves and I can enjoy myself.
Miki to Yuzuru: You don't really get nervous do you?
Yuzuru: I just said I get nervous didn't I? (Nobu says something to defend Yuzuru)

8:10
The man at the studio asks them who is the most courageous of them all and they all point to Yuzuru.
Miki says that you can't be an Olympic champion without it.

8:40
The female reporter asks them to do a pose that has something to do with Shizuoka.
Miki to Yuzuru: Can you do it? You're a champion so you can do it right?
Yuzuru: Yeah, I'm No. 1 in Japan.
Miki sips green tea.
Akiko does a grilled eel.
Yuzuru does Mt. Fuji.
Nobu does Hamamatsu gyoza.
Nobu says that they've actually been practicing backstage.

10:10
Messages to Shizuoka people.
Akiko: I'm looking forward to skating in Shizuoka. I'll do my best so you can enjoy yourselves.
Nobu: It's a fantastic ice show so I hope people in Shizuoka can come and see it.
Yuzuru: It's rare that such great skaters can gather all at once. Please come to Hamamatsu and look forward to seeing it.
Miki: I think it's the best show in Japan where all the top skaters around the world gather together. I think you can discover different aspects of figure skating. I hope to meet you at this venue.

:love: Thank you Mikaboo! I will repost this in the Yuzuru thread.

mikaboo

Medalist
:love: Thank you Mikaboo! I will repost this in the Yuzuru thread.

My pleasure! :thumbsup:

Twitter reports tell me that Nobu had issues with his boot laces again today and had to stop halfway through the program.
But he did a very good job second time around. I take back what I said before. Nobu, please stay where you are as a professional skater :biggrin:
FaOI Shizuoka - Riverdance

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
My pleasure! :thumbsup:

Twitter reports tell me that Nobu had issues with his boot laces again today and had to stop halfway through the program.
But he did a very good job second time around. I take back what I said before. Nobu, please stay where you are as a professional skater :biggrin:
FaOI Shizuoka - Riverdance

Wow, so he has three programs for the show. Shows how committed he is as a professional skater. :)

Thanks for the link. In "Riverdance," I saw the excellent spins Newbiespectator described him as having as well as the light, airy jumps with the soft landings. I think with Yuzuru he has the purest jumping technique among the Japanese men.

mikaboo

Medalist
Wow, so he has three programs for the show. Shows how committed he is as a professional skater. :)

Thanks for the link. In "Riverdance," I saw the excellent spins Newbiespectator described him as having as well as the light, airy jumps with the soft landings. I think with Yuzuru he has the purest jumping technique among the Japanese men.

IIRC, Stéphane Lambiel choreographed Nobu's Riverdance for his "Ice Legends" show. (as well as Akiko's Clair de Lune)

Other than Jeff's "Liebesträume", Nobu also has Kenji Miyamoto's "Darth Vader" and Kenji wrote on his blog that they worked on another new program after FaOI Makuhari. He's been very busy!