Courtney Hicks | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Courtney Hicks

Globetrotter

Medalist
Wow Sam-Skwanch, that 3F-1R-3S combo was done in smooth quick flow! Hicks is a full technical skater. I doubt she will ever be the feminine Disney princess sort and she should not. Just give her a programme that showcases her power and speed. It's no longer 6.0 and powerful energetic skating can trump the classic presentation.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely agree that she is the energetic type and as such she is going to have to be crisp and clean with her technical ability to lure the judges into higher placements. More so than some others but that doesn't mean she doesn't have an enjoyable presentation. I actually really liked her FS and thought it was a bit of a classical program in terms of choreography. She just skates more aggressively but the placements of the elements in realationship to the music and highlights just remind me of the feeling you get watching a good 90's program.

Totally random thought but I'd love to see a four person skate off between Courtney Hicks/Mariah Bell vs Alaine Chartrand/Gaby Daleman. I think something like that would be fun and give the skaters another chance to make a name for themselves.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/ice-stars-for-wounded-warriors-2015-review/

Courtney skated on a benefit for Wounded Warriors recently. For the above reviewer, she was definitely a highlight of the show. There is a video, too.

Seeing Courtney skate live at a show is a quite different experience from watching her do competitive programs on TV. In a small arena, free of competitive pressure, you can really appreciate her exceptional speed, her soft knees, and her power. I haven’t seen many other female skaters who have the speed and flow that Courtney does in her exhibition programs. Her jumps are also amazing—so high and easy–and the runout on the landings is wonderful. I enjoyed the straightforward, emotional programs Courtney chose for this show. Although not widely noted for her artistry, Courtney definitely has the ability to connect with an audience when she has the right music and programs, as she did here. I was really, really impressed with her skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Courtney is in Coloraldo Springs. She reposted a photo Jason posted thanking Charlie White for an skating lesson in Monument.

https://instagram.com/p/2pZbCYF9tG/

She is in the photo. She also trained in World Arena. Is she looking at a venue change? Or is this just a training supplement?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Courtney is also in this Skate 7K May birthday montage (right side). She may be in Colorado to continue working on her free skate with Rohene and happened to be in the right place / right time for an edge class with Charlie and a birthday party. If so, lucky girl. :)

Update

Courtney confirmed on facebook that she's been working her long program:

Skated almost 5 hours today and I feel like death, but it's okay because my long program choreography (3 of the 5) is AWESOME!

She also posted a photo with team Koro:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...07036050297.1073741831.100007530435283&type=1

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm digging Courtney's FS music. Kind of sounds like Harry Potter's Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore falls off of the astronomy tower. It's eerie, serene, and beautiful the whole way through. The spread eagle and split jump which I assume to be the ChSeq is killer. I can't wait to see her nail it clean!!!

Thx Doris for sharing :)

Here is the song when Dumbledore falls off of the astronomy tower if anyone is interested in a comparison.
https://youtu.be/NHAw3h9Y8wI

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
I actually think both of her programs suit her very well. I can't wait to see how she does this season, I think she could really break through and be a contender this year!

LRK

Record Breaker
I actually think both of her programs suit her very well. I can't wait to see how she does this season, I think she could really break through and be a contender this year!

I agree. I hope this will be a really good season for her.

Globetrotter

Medalist
She is a powerful skater. Not the most flexible, not the prettiest lines but compelling in her way. Interestingly, she is one of the rare US lady skaters without the edge issues on jumps. Contrast to the chronic lippers (Gold, Edmunds, Chen) and flutzers (Wagner, Cesario, Nagasu). She will never be the pretty, soft and feminine sort but she has the strength and decent blade work to skate powerful like a Midori Ito.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Not a big deal to me, I've never read/watched any Harry Potter (and don't have plans to)... I imagine most people who really cared already know this stuff.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw Courtney's FS on IN and I love it! There's something that grabs me though you can tell it still needs a bit more mileage...and I love that she's putting in the Jonathan Cassar-like spread eagles!