Links to other Reports:
Ice Dance – Short Dance
Ice Dance – Free Dance
Ladies – Short Program
Ladies - Free Skating
Men – Short Program
Men – Free Skating
Pairs – Free Skating

Disclaimer: The GOE values listed next to the elements are ones I would award if I was a judge and they’re intended to give you a general impression of how each element was executed. I try to describe each of the elements but there's not always time to be as detailed as I would like and a numbers can sometimes say a thousand words.

I am generally very nitpicky, try to pay a lot of attention to detail and attempt to notice various errors that judges might have missed. I realise that I’m being very harsh but I try my best to apply the same high standard to all of the skaters.

Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are all very welcome.

---

Arena still quite empty, I’m afraid.

1. Felicia ZHANG / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY /USA/
Carousel Waltz by Rodgers and Hammerstine

3twist [-1] – not a lot of height, two-footed, decent catch though
3toe [-3] – she fell, he two-footed and stepped out with hand down
throw 3lutz [1] – decent distance covered, solid landing
straight line step sequence [1] – quite good speed and flow
reverse lasso to changes of position and one hand hold to difficult dismount [1] – good flow throughout
shoot-the-duck into bids [0] – position a little strained
to pair change combination spin [0]

Decent flow and expression throughout. Quite an exuberant performance.

2. Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO /CAN/
Unchained Melody by Alex North

dance lift to 3twist [-3] – underrotated, crash, not enough height
3toe [-3] – his landing a little shaky, hers cheated over 1/4 and two-footed
spread eagle to axel lasso to change of position and one hand hold [0]
throw 3loop [-2] – off-axis in the air, overrotated
spread eagles to L spiral to bids with change of hold [0] – decent rotation speed, position a little high
straight line step sequence [1] – quite good flow
to pair change combination spin [0] – could use a little more speed after the change of foot

Soft movements, in character of the music, and decent flow. The choreography was quite lackluster, however. A generic program.

3. Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR /USA/
Black Magic Woman by Santana
Smooth by Santana

3twist [0] – huge but catch a little weak (he caught her at the waist but didn’t really impede her fall to put her down), slightly two-footed by him
3salchow [-2] – hers was solid, he doubled
transitions to back inside death spiral with change of hold [0]
to pair change combination spin [1] – very well extended positions from her, rotation speed not bad
an impressive dance lift to throw 3salchow [2] – huge, nicely extended solid landing
straight line step sequence [0]
axel lasso to changes of position and one hand hold to difficult dismount [1] – strong, well extended positions from her but a two-footed landing from him

Very good attention to detail throughout. The program contained various little choreographic touches and you could see the hand of Julie Marcotte in it. The lift into the throw triple salchow was particularly impressive as it was difficult, featured numerous changes of position and went on for quite a long time (they didn’t just mark a ‘transition’ as many skaters do).

Her posture and lines are beautiful. He, on the other hand, skates with rounded shoulders and doesn’t fully extend his movements so there is a very jarring contrast.

4. Caydee DENNEY / John COUGHLIN /USA/
Tosca by Giacomo Puccini

nice dance lift done to the music to open
3twist [1] – huge but catch assisted by his shoulder
3toe [0] – clean but entry a little off-synch
shoot-the-duck into back inside death spiral with change of hold [-1] – could use a little more speed, position quite strained
throw 3loop [-3] – telegraphed, fall
axel lasso to change of position and one hand hold to difficult dismount [1] – solid

Some nice choreographic touches at the start and good responses to the music on the step sequence at the end. The rest of the program was quite empty, however, with long entries into their big elements.

5. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV /USA/
Spanish Fantasy

2twist with arms above [2] – with room to spare, strong catch
3toe [2] – high and solid
throw 3flip [1] – good height and distance
backward lasso to changes of position to one hand hold and dismount [1] – very solid
shoot-the-duck into back inside death spiral with change of hold [0] – position and speed could be a little better
to pairs change combination spin (starting with clockwise) [1] – quite good flow throughout, decently extended positions

Sharp on the technical elements. The choreography was quite lackluster, however, and the program lacked Spanish character. The music they have chosen demand sharp and aggressive staccato movements. If you turned the music off, you’d probably never guess what they were skating to.

6. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH /CAN/
Motley Crew - Mic Macs by Raphael Beau, Max Steiner

transitions into 3twist [-1] – catch assisted slightly by his shoulder, could use some more height
3toe [2] – strong, quite a short entry
catchfoot spiral into back inside death spiral [0] – good rotation speed but position was quite strained
throw 3loop [1] – very good distance covered, good speed out, a little hesitation getting her free leg out on the landing, however
kneeling into axel lasso to change of position, reverse rotation, one hand hold and difficult dismount [2] – strong and flowing very well from start to finish
straight line step sequence [1]
dance lift to pair change combination spin [2] – very good rotation speed, decently extended positions

I am not surprised that they have decided to keep this program for another season as it’s the best one they have ever had, by far. There were in-character, choreographic touches throughout and a fair amount of transitions into the elements (I did get a sense that the choreography has been watered down slightly, however). Really strong on most of the elements as well.

7. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK /ITA/
The Mask (soundtrack)

steps to 3toe [-2] – hands down from her (she didn’t get enough height), his solid
3twist [-1] – could use a little more height, slight crash
reverse lasso to change of position and one hand hold(a really impressive position) to difficult dismount [0] – took them a while to change positions at the start
throw 3loop [1] – nice extension on the landing, good speed out
catchfoot spiral into back inside death spiral with change of hold [0] – a little slow

A question mark over the choice of music. It demanded a fun and exuberant kind of performance and whilst the choreography was very much appropriate for the music, they didn’t quite live up to it. I don’t think that this program plays to their strengths.

The costumes were absolutely hideous. A patterned golden dress with yellow ruffles at the hem, which looked like it was made out of an old curtain and a one piece that was white at the top and bright yellow at the bottom, which made my eyes hurt, making it was very hard to focus on what they were actually doing.

8. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV /RUS/
Masquerade Waltz by Aram Khatchaturian

3twist [2] – huge
3toe [1] – solid
throw 3loop [2] – enormous, very solid landing
Y spiral into back inside death spiral with change of hold [1]
to pair change combination spin [0] – good positions and rotation speed at the start but off-centred after the change of foot
reverse lasso to change of position and one hand hold to difficult dismount [1] – strong at the start but the dismount was a little strained
circular step sequence [2] – good flow

This program works really well for them. Decent postures and lines, smooth and well flowing movement, in character of the music throughout. Very confident and skated without any hesitation. Some more transitions would have been good to see, however.

A new world record. As good as they obviously are, the ‘Dwhitevoir trend’ to shower them with 2s/3s and 9s for everything they do is :slink:.