2013 Skate America Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Free Dance

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I'm surprised at how strong D/W look right off the top of the season. I think both programs are very good--I'm surprised because I expected to really love the My Fair Lady SD and only feel so-so about Scheherazade. Now that I've seen both programs, it's actually the opposite. I agree with whoever said their My Fair Lady cut is very shrill--I wish they had gone with a more pop version, not so operatic. The version they chose sounds a bit stiff and swallowed and it just doesn't give me the lightheartedness and giddy-ness I usually feel whenever I hear "I Could Have Danced All Night." Scheherazade is not my favorite piece of music (even when my queen Michelle Kwan skated to it herself) so I was sort of bummed they picked that for Olympic year. However, I think it's a dazzling program (though I don't see much of the Scheherazade story-line in it). I just think it's marvelous ice dance and that first lift is a STUNNER!

The Shibs also look pretty good--I guess I haven't checked up on them in a while because suddenly Maia looks a lot more mature and elegant than I remembered. I absolutely LOVE their SD. The music is lively and energetic like they are and it suits the dance perfectly. That's always such a make or break--when teams have the ill-fitting music for the compulsory step. The Shibs have the best SD music this season as far as I'm concerned. As for the free, I was a little horrified hearing Michael Jackson... I think they're a bit left field with the free dance and I don't think it's gonna bode well for them as medal contenders. It felt like a bad dream to me... I can't even take it seriously. I don't want to see Thriller in exhibition much less competition. I also think their lifts need major work. Not a single one wowed me or even occurred to me as a lovely position amongst the many they hit. I don't know... is it too late to scratch the free dance and start all over?

I was thrilled with Cappellini and Lanotte--I think they have two solid programs. I want them to sneak in for bronze in general--I just think they've been terribly underrated for this entire quad. They always turn in fabulous skating but for whatever reason, don't seem to find the podium when it's a full field.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It will be quite something if C&L, V&M & D&W all medal in Sochi.

1. All train in Detroit
2. All have been coached by Igor Shpilband at one time or another
3. All are part of the graduating from seniors to juniors class of 2006-2007.

They were 1st, 3rd & 4th at the 2006 Jr. Worlds. It makes you wonder whether the Russians gave up too quickly on the team that was in 2nd place at that event:
Natalia Mikhailova / Arkadi Sergeev
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships#Ice_dancing

KKonas

Medalist
The first think I noticed about C&L here is their increased speed. It's all due to Igor. It's always been a priority with his teams. Europeans will be very interesting to see if C&L can win this title. I like the Shibs SD. They have such neat footwork but their Finnstep needs a lot more practice. The middle section music for the MJ FD just doesn't seem to work within the context of the program.