2013-2014 South Korean competitions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 South Korean competitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1ov0tUDKg

KBS HD No commentary. So beautiful!!

Thank you for the link, great quality and I managed to see it before the fun police has taken it down. :p

She skated well but I am very underwhelmed by the program. The choreography is bland, the program lacks a concept and her movement lacks variety and character. Her arm lines were ok (leg lines not so much :p) but her movements should have been stronger and sharper, given the character of the music.

noidont

Final Flight
Seriously, Brian Joubert's Tango is more expressive and artistic than Yuna's free. This program doesn't impress despite the fact that she is a great skater. It seems so randomly put together. Also her jumps are significantly less powerful than last year. That being said, she is still the frontrunner, sheerly because she has the highest likelihood to go completely clean. Personally, I will score her free lower in IN and CH than a dozen skaters. Such a shame. I loved her Les Mis last year and wish she could bring it back.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Seriously, Brian Joubert's Tango is more expressive and artistic than Yuna's free. This program doesn't impress despite the fact that she is a great skater. It seems so randomly put together. Also her jumps are significantly less powerful than last year. That being said, she is still the frontrunner, sheerly because she has the highest likelihood to go completely clean. Personally, I will score her free lower in IN and CH than a dozen skaters. Such a shame. I loved her Les Mis last year and wish she could bring it back.

You are entitled to your opinion, but seriously, a dozen skaters have better IN and CH than Yuna's LP? That's pure BS, IMO. Presentation-wise and artistically, maybe there are 2 or 3 skaters at most that can be compared to Yuna.

Presentation-wise and artistically, maybe there are 2 or 3 skaters at most that can be compared to Yuna.

I don't want to compare skaters since that's not how IJS is supposed to work but:

SS - She seems to skate with quite a lot of speed, decent flow, quite smooth edges. The turns are controlled and there's no noticeable loss of speed.

TR - Flip and both lutzes have long and telegraphed entries but there is some footwork and upper body movement preceding the other jumps (and throughout the program) and a couple of spins are executed straight off preceding elements. I just wish the transitions could have been highlighted more.

PE - Clean and quite well extended arm lines. Toes not pointed though and carriage could be better - her shoulders were slightly rounded. She could project a bit stronger and look up to the audience. She's skating to a tango and I don't see the tango character in her movements. Sharper, more staccato movement would be appropriate and it would have highlighted the variation of mood and tempo better as well (between the staccato and the longato parts).

CH - I don't see much of a concept or purpose. Layout and pattern seem pretty standard as well. It's quite bland and lacks originality. Phrasing could have been played out more. The ice coverage seemed quite good, though.

IN - Timing seemed ok but I think that she could have reflected the nuances better (more variety and emphasis). Same issue as under PE - style and character were lacking (I understand that there will always be some overlap but why does ISU reward that twice, under both PE and IN?).

I am forwarding this useful post by new member Hailey Shin :clap: , which suffered a glitch.

Hailey Shin said:
So, you've already made many replies and thrilled by Yuna's performance, she's really good.
But I want to talk about other girls and boys whom I impressed in Korean National event!

Men Single
1. Jinseo Kim 209.35 / 72.92 + 136.43 (first place in men single)
As always I thought, his free program is really good and full of energy. He developed his expression for more improvement.
His free program is not uploaded for users who do not live in Korea, so I link his short.
h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9robxz-CM

2. Jun hwan Cha 184.38 / 60.44 + 123.94 (fifth place in men single)
Isn't he amazing? He is just 12 years old! But he really express his program well.
How do you think? The link is his short program.
h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Htz5z4V5Xc

3. Kang chan Kam 164.74 / 56.66 + 108.08 (sixth place in men single)
His movement is really hop in flow. I love his soft arm work, and also foot work. The link is his short program.
h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xSP8-wL0jU

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
Unfortunately this still didn't do it for me (Yuna's free skate). This program still lacks. Just comparing side by side to her past programs there is just much more stroking and "empty" moments where Yuna awkwardly fills the gap like extra rotations after spin elements. This program is far to reserved to play to her potential. Just my personal opinion. It's just not an Olympic program, and mediocre at best even if it were usual seasons. Maybe Yuna has raised the bar too high for herself but it seems like by popular opinion this is by far many people's least favorite of all her free programs. I think best comparison to make with this program is with her SP last season (Vampire's Kiss) as it is quite transcendental but still it was superior.

I agree. Yesterday she "brought it" and inhabited the essence of the program. This morning, skating a TANGO, it was void of necessary passion. Yesterday there was full cohesion and everything connected with everything else. Today it was like, here is the blueprint on how I will present the MAIN features of my program. It was good enough for what and where it was but that's all. She needs to bring more energy to the footwork and transitions; it is almost as if the ease of her jumps are working against her here. Maybe borrowing some of that Kiss Of The Vampire "menace" might help her get there. :eek:hwell:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Also her jumps are significantly less powerful than last year. That being said, she is still the frontrunner, sheerly because she has the highest likelihood to go completely clean.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. After her opening combo, I remember thinking that her 3-3 wasn't done with its "usual" zest and that thought didn't abate within the rest of her jumps. But yeah, it seems the only jump that's fudging her up this year is the double Axel.

Krislite

Medalist
Yeah, that's what I thought too. After her opening combo, I remember thinking that her 3-3 wasn't done with its "usual" zest and that thought didn't abate within the rest of her jumps. But yeah, it seems the only jump that's fudging her up this year is the double Axel.

Well, I'd say her 3/3 is in better shape than last year's Nats and NRW Trophy. In the 2013 Korean Nationals her backend 3Toe was UR and landed at near standstill. This year was a little better, and she landed the combo twice both in the SP and LP. Certainly, it's not like it was at Worlds, but that's her 100% peak condition which doesn't happen all the time.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Technical experts/connoisseurs: Was the 3T UR in the FS here? It looked to me like she eked it out, and the protocols gave her full credit, but some other posters have been claiming otherwise.

Either way, I'm not worried about Yuna's prospects at the Olympics. This FS, even with the 2A mistakes, would have easily earned 140+ internationally -- the highest score we've seen all season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For those of you who want to see other videos from Korean nationals: this account have fan cams of most of them: http://www.youtube.com/user/IceScapeRasu

For Doris and other Ice Dance fans: Here is Min and Koleko's SD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_cD8PReeg

They have shown some great improvements since we saw them last. Good for them!

ETA: Krislite, great minds think a like. Thanks for the So Yeon video!

ETA2: And that user just posted an HD version of So Yeon's FS. Catch it while you can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbrPgF7-eU

ETA3: Just watched it. Wow! She looks like a senior lady out there. I'm glad that we'll get to see her in Sochi and Worlds! And her dress is absolutely regal. :love:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
For those of you who want to see other videos from Korean nationals: this account have fan cams of most of them: http://www.youtube.com/user/IceScapeRasu

For Doris and other Ice Dance fans: Here is Min and Koleko's SD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_cD8PReeg

They have shown some great improvements since we saw them last. Good for them!

ETA: Krislite, great minds think a like. Thanks for the So Yeon video!

ETA2: And that user just posted an HD version of So Yeon's FS. Catch it while you can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbrPgF7-eU

ETA3: Just watched it. Wow! She looks like a senior lady out there. I'm glad that we'll get to see her in Sochi and Worlds! And her dress is absolutely regal. :love:

Speed needs a lot of work, but wow! I love her arm movements and she really gave it her all out there. I look forward to seeing her at the Olympics! (She's going, right? )

I love that someone gave her a giant teddy bear too! :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speed needs a lot of work, but wow! I love her arm movements and she really gave it her all out there. I look forward to seeing her at the Olympics! (She's going, right? )

I love that someone gave her a giant teddy bear too! :)

Yes, she actually qualified for the Olympics at a ranking competition with this performance last fall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-tRieUQus

This is a brand new FS for her. She qualified for Worlds with her silver medal finish here.

Now wondering who will be going to junior Worlds...

Krislite

Medalist
Technical experts/connoisseurs: Was the 3T UR in the FS here? It looked to me like she eked it out, and the protocols gave her full credit, but some other posters have been claiming otherwise.

Either way, I'm not worried about Yuna's prospects at the Olympics. This FS, even with the 2A mistakes, would have easily earned 140+ internationally -- the highest score we've seen all season.

Here's the best view of her opening 3/3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpNg6mfZ9g. You get a better sense of her trajectory and based on this I'd say no more than a quarter UR. She eeked it out just like last year's NRW and Korean Nats. But really, this doesn't matter as she's bound to be in better shape in Sochi, barring injury.

albinayjna

Rinkside
Team Korea in S/J World Championships

June Hyoung Lee(Men), Dabin Choi/Na-Hyun Kim(Ladies) will be going to Junior World Championships in Bulgaria
Jin-Seo Kim(Men), So-Youn Park/Hae-Jin Kim (Ladies) will compete in World Championships in Japan.