Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 176 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Mussique

On the Ice
You wouldn't also want them, trust me :laugh: They'd be far too stiff and uncomfortable for you! Don't get anything rated for doubles and up, they'll be hard to break down, will hurt your feet and won't make any difference on your skating for the better (they may for the worse —it's the skater the one who jumps, not the boot!:laugh:). That, and they're way more expensive!
My personal advice would be to first measure your feet and then compare it to the various charts of the different brands. Jackson Mystique or Artiste, Risport Venus, Antares or Etoiles, and many other good brands have good beginner models. For starters it doesn't matter if you get a boot+blade convo, they may be cheaper. When you go up the levels then you usually have a better deal buying them separately.
Good luck again!

rmsxvi

Rinkside
Aaah i see haha yeah i was just admiring them specially the blade because its design is different compared to the other ones. I'll check out the ones you've mentioned. I also read the link you gave me about the boots and theyre really helpful. :D

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You wouldn't also want them, trust me :laugh: They'd be far too stiff and uncomfortable for you! Don't get anything rated for doubles and up, they'll be hard to break down, will hurt your feet and won't make any difference on your skating for the better (they may for the worse —it's the skater the one who jumps, not the boot!:laugh:). That, and they're way more expensive!
My personal advice would be to first measure your feet and then compare it to the various charts of the different brands. Jackson Mystique or Artiste, Risport Venus, Antares or Etoiles, and many other good brands have good beginner models. For starters it doesn't matter if you get a boot+blade convo, they may be cheaper. When you go up the levels then you usually have a better deal buying them separately.
Good luck again!

But she would be fine in a boot rated up to doubles({even through beginning of doubles}).

If she’s skated for awhile and wants to learn the tricks now it won’t hurt her. I’d rather her have something like I suggested in her thread on lutz corner rather than starter boot/blade that is not enough to hold her through starting jumps.

She doesn’t need anything rated above doubles for a long time though (if she were to even advance that high). Not being negative, being realistic.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
Random question about Zayaking: if a skater say doubles a planed triple jump, which counts towards the Zayak limit: the double or the triple? Also what about severe underrotation? :scratch2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Random question about Zayaking: if a skater say doubles a planed triple jump, which counts towards the Zayak limit: the double or the triple? Also what about severe underrotation? :scratch2:

It's what the skater does. If they do a double, it'll be called a double and thus counts to Zayak (as Joshua found out at 2015 US Nats). Downgrades are different; for example, 3Lz<< is not the same as 2Lz in the IJS.

freeman21

On the Ice
When does ISU or the Feds (not sure who is responsible for this) usually announce the skaters competing at each Grand Prix event? Obviously, I'm interested in finding out details for next season (2018/2019).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When does ISU or the Feds (not sure who is responsible for this) usually announce the skaters competing at each Grand Prix event? Obviously, I'm interested in finding out details for next season (2018/2019).

Late May/Early June IIRC.

colton12314

Match Penalty
why do toe jumps (lutz, flip) have higher base values than edge jumps (sal, loop)? Having watched the olympics and wc for mens it seems like there are a lot more quad flips and lutz than sals and loops. (of course plenty of quad toes)

Ducky

On the Ice
why do toe jumps (lutz, flip) have higher base values than edge jumps (sal, loop)? Having watched the olympics and wc for mens it seems like there are a lot more quad flips and lutz than sals and loops. (of course plenty of quad toes)

It's based on how easy or comparatively difficult it is to do the jump. Generally you learn jumps in the following order: waltz, sal, toe-loop, loop, flip, lutz. For the sal and the toe-loop the skater is essentially jumping from one leg to the other. The loop is over your landing foot the entire time. But the flip and the lutz requires the skater to use their landing foot to pick from the ice into their jump meaning that you have to redistribute your weight (as it's over your non-landing foot in the entry) and rotate and it's harder to cheat by pre-rotating as in the edge jumps.

At least that's how I understand it. :)

colton12314

Match Penalty
It's based on how easy or comparatively difficult it is to do the jump. Generally you learn jumps in the following order: waltz, sal, toe-loop, loop, flip, lutz. For the sal and the toe-loop the skater is essentially jumping from one leg to the other. The loop is over your landing foot the entire time. But the flip and the lutz requires the skater to use their landing foot to pick from the ice into their jump meaning that you have to redistribute your weight (as it's over your non-landing foot in the entry) and rotate and it's harder to cheat by pre-rotating as in the edge jumps.

At least that's how I understand it. :)

that makes sense ... thanks!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, it's been a while since a non-technical rules question was asked.

You know the way that, when you switch country, there is an embargo period. It used to be that you had to wait 18 months after last representing your old country before you were allowed to represent your new country. And then, in 2016, it was reduced to 12 months.

Because I haven't been following the younger levels over the years, I have only ever seen Senior skaters sitting out through this type of embargo. So, I was just wondering if this rule was also in place for younger levels like Junior or Novice.

I started wondering this when I was making out Anastasia Galustyan's Fan Fest, because I noticed that apart from one competition in April 2012, her fskate.ru Bio had no results from March 2010 to September 2013. And that competition in April 2012 was her first representing Armenia. So the absence from March 2010 to April 2012 could have been an embargo.

However, given that there was a big gap after this competition as well, it is just as possible that this was an injury enforced layoff which she attempted to come back from too soon. And that she saw being out of action as a good time to make changes.

Galustyan only came up on my radar in the 2014-15 season, and her Wikipedia article only starts with the 2013-14 season, so I don't know anything about her before then. (Given her obviously Armenian surname, I am assuming that she already had dual nationality).

If this was an embargo, were the rules back then the same for the younger levels as they were for the Seniors? And is it the case now?

Given what the attention spans of children are like, I could imagine that having to undergo an embargo would lead to a lot of younger skaters losing interest and leaving the sport.

CaroLiza_fan

sk8r4ever

On the Ice
Say if your first jump was a single jump and you got -3 GOE then would you have a minus score shown on the technical score board?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If this was an embargo, were the rules back then the same for the younger levels as they were for the Seniors? And is it the case now?

I believe that the rules are the same. She may have been injured, of course, or taking a break.

Say if your first jump was a single jump and you got -3 GOE then would you have a minus score shown on the technical score board?

It should. But they may be merciful and decide not to show it until you'd done something else.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I believe that the rules are the same. She may have been injured, of course, or taking a break.

Thank you. I suspected it was the same, as any of the changes proposed at the 2016 congress (pages 50-52 of this PDF) didn't mention levels. But, I don't know if there was something in the rulebook above the rule that was being changed that specifically said if the bits after it applied to everybody, or just to Seniors.

The reason I was asking is that I know of a Junior singles skater who has dual nationality and is currently contemplating switching to representing their other passport's country. The thing is, they are getting near the age where they will be forced to switch to Seniors. So, I was curious to know if they would be better off switching countries while still in Juniors.

So, by the sounds of it, it doesn't make any difference. They'll still have to go through an embargo period.

Thank you again for your reply.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

gkelly

Record Breaker
GOEs are prorated to the base value of the element.

Single jumps have base values ranging from 0.4 (toe loop and salchow) to 1.1 (axel).

The value of -3 GOE for the one-revolution jumps is -0.3. So if you did a 1T or 1S and earned straight -3 GOE on it, the TES score for that element would be 0.4 - 0.3 = 0.1. The smallest possible score given that only one decimal place is used (before averaging), but it's still a positive score.

For a single axel, the value of -3 GOE is -0.6, so 1.1 - 0.6 = 0.5 total for the element.

Now, if you also fell on the element you would get a fall deduction of -1.0, so the overall contribution of the attempt to your total score would be negative. But the fall deduction is subtracted from the total score, not the element score. As far as the TES tracker goes, the value of the element would be tiny but positive, e.g., 0.1 to 0.5.

Some specifics of the Scale of Values will be changing with the next release this summer, but I don't expect major changes to how lower revolution jumps are scored.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Maybe I'm missing something, but why do Ice Dancers, at both junior and senior levels, usually do 3 sets of twizzles when only 2 of them (apparently) count? At least I always hear the commentator be like "they got a level 2 on the first side, and a level 4 on the second side" and then no one talks about the third set. I feel like I'm missing something... does the third one count, too, but no one talks about it? Am I just stupid? LOL :slink:

ETA: I just re-read a USFS article entitled "Level of Difficulty for Required Elements" and it says: "All sets of twizzles are comprised of 2 twizzles on one foot for both partners for both twizzles which travel across the ice. (if the action stops they become spins). More twizzles may be added but shall not be counted." So again, I am confused - why do more than two when the third one won't count? Just for aesthetics? :confused:

Scout

Final Flight
Prior to this year, the twizzles only got a single level for the whole element, not for each set of twizzles. Now, there is a level assigned to each skater's twizzles.

The third twizzle, to my knowledge, is used as an additional feature to help gain a higher level.

This article is old, but it lists out the different levels, requirements and features for twizzles, so you can get the general idea:
http://icemusings.com/blog/breaking...zles-and-step-sequences-levels-of-difficulty/

rmsxvi

Rinkside
Question about music choices:

Can guys skate to music usually skated to by females? etc. Swan Lake, Carmen, Tango de Roxanne?