Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 135 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
On the other hand... That may be positive, as their careers end early enough to allow them to pursue something else.
The worst thing ever imho is to have to retire in mid 30s or something... A bit too late to get a new profession, start sudying etc (you would graduate at what, 40, and then go look for a job and well, you need experience, else you don't get paid so well, and you most likely have a family to keep at this point). Retiring at early 20s have advantages.

You know what....This is completely true and actually kind of sad. Having been in "The Business" myself, it was always weird to see people you started working with, still waiting tables. I must say that some people were late bloomers, and other's were burnt out by they time they were 20. Kim Richards of The Real Housewives was someone I worked with in a Movie Called "Tuff Turf" Kim was already famous and we all knew her from "The Nanny and the Professor" Kim was funny and cool and we thought she was the coolest thing ever.

I met a lot of "Stars" in the 80's but since I was a Studio Vocalist, none of them ever knew who I was. Lot's of them were rude and didn't understand how I got into whatever party or event we happened to be attending. When I worked on Grease 2 there was a number called "Let's Do It For Our Country" The stars recorded it and the studio said, No way. So, it was re-recorded by myself and another gal.

The actors in the scene and their agents flipped out. ( It was actually funny ) and they left their real voices in the scene. It was done so badly in the movie that it looks like they're lip syncing to their own voices. :disagree:

Here's the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNWDfHz8Io

Last edited:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i have a stupid question about GOEs

so i know that there are 9 judges' scores counted for the GOE. sometimes ive seen skaters with straight 3s, but in then in the GOE actually added, they only receive like 1.40 points? why is that? isn't the GOE the average between what the judges gave them? so why don't they receive 3.00 if that's the average? why 1.40?

Grishuck and Platov used the Liebesleid in a medley at the 1992 Olypics, I believe.

I njust looked it up, and Fumie Suguri also used it very early in her career.

I also found out this: Fumie Suguri has skated both to Take Five and Rondo a la Turk (from the same Brubeck set). I bet she is the only skater who can say this. :laugh: (Rondo a la Turk (in 9/8 time) was actually supposed to be the big deal on that album. reflecting the Brubek Quartet's experimenting in Turkish-inspired music.)

so i know that there are 9 judges' scores counted for the GOE. sometimes ive seen skaters with straight 3s, but in then in the GOE actually added, they only receive like 1.40 points? why is that? isn't the GOE the average between what the judges gave them? so why don't they receive 3.00 if that's the average? why 1.40?

A few years ago the ISU changed to rules about how GOEs are scored. Now, each element carries it's own GOE value. So, for instance on most triple jumps, the judge punches "3" but the computer computes this as 3x.70 = 2.1

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few years ago the ISU changed to rules about how GOEs are scored. Now, each element carries it's own GOE value. So, for instance on most triple jumps, the judge punches "3" but the computer computes this as 3x.70 = 2.1

Oh, that makes sense. So is that what's meant by base value then? :thinking out loud: I don't think so, so what's the difference?

yuzushenko

On the Ice

oh i see.. why did they change it? i feel it makes it even more complicated... is there a place where we can see what the max GOEs are for individual elements?

does the max GOE value change for a jump when it's under-rotated or wrong edge or ! edge or down graded?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey, I love Todd. I always talk about the sound of Patrick Chan's edges but, Todd Eldridge was a very cool skater to watch. Other than his hands which drove me crazy. I never saw someone skate so fast and look like they're hardly moving. Also, I could really hear his edges change when he went into his jumps. I wish I could explain the sound of his edge change on his Lutz. It sounds like someone using a Knife Sharpener. I know that sounds weird but that's the sound that comes to mind.

Todd was FAST. Faster than Plusy and Yags but, they were IMO, clearly better skaters with better programs.

oh i see.. why did they change it? i feel it makes it even more complicated... is there a place where we can see what the max GOEs are for individual elements?

http://static.isu.org/media/207718/1944-sptc-sov-communication-2015-2016.pdf

I think the real reason for the change is that a few skaters (well, one ;) ) got such high GOEs that no one else had a chance. Less controversially, because the GOEs were too high in proportion to the base value. If you did a triple Salcow (original bas vale 4.5), you could end up anywhere from 1.5 tp 7.5 on the element.

does the max GOE value change for a jump when it's under-rotated or wrong edge or ! edge or down graded?

No, but the base value is reduced. (In the case of a downgrade I think they go with the GOE for the next lower jump.)

gkelly

Record Breaker

Even from the beginning of IJS, there were ALWAYS some elements that earned (or lost) less than 1.0 for +1 (or -1), less than 2.0 for +2 (or -2), etc.

The idea of prorating the GOE values is not a new concept as far as IJS goes.

However, at the beginning, triple jumps did get/lose a full point for each GOE step, as well as double axels and level 4 elements (or level 3 in the earliest days when there were only 3 levels).

What changed more recently is that the size of the GOEs for the majority of jumps done by elite skaters have been adjusted and are no longer all 1.0 point per GOE step.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
http://static.isu.org/media/207718/1944-sptc-sov-communication-2015-2016.pdf

I think the real reason for the change is that a few skaters (well, one ;) ) got such high GOEs that no one else had a chance. Less controversially, because the GOEs were too high in proportion to the base value. If you did a triple Salcow (original bas vale 4.5), you could end up anywhere from 1.5 tp 7.5 on the element.

No, but the base value is reduced. (In the case of a downgrade I think they go with the GOE for the next lower jump.)

ah i see, that makes sense, thanks! which skater do you think they changed it for? im gonna guess yuzuru hanyu?

another question: what's the difference between a step sequence and a choreographic sequence?

yuzushenko

On the Ice
and another question lol:

if you complete the highest adult MITF test, can you start testing the regular MITF? do you have to start from pre-prelim or do you start off at an equivalent level? would you essentially be unable to compete in the regular levels until you're a senior skater? (because of the age restrictions..?)

and i know that you have to pass the free skate test to compete.

im 19, if that matters at all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
another question: what's the difference between a step sequence and a choreographic sequence?

A step sequence has levels, from base to four. Each level depends on the number of turns and steps, and the amount of rotation, the inclusion of clusters etc. A choreographic sequence has no levels (appears on protocols as ChSq1) and everyone gets the same base value for it. Then the judges give GOEs for it.

For example, that beautiful little circular series of leaps and fouettes that originally graced the end of Max's Black Swan free skate was the choreographic sequence.

if you complete the highest adult MITF test, can you start testing the regular MITF? do you have to start from pre-prelim or do you start off at an equivalent level? would you essentially be unable to compete in the regular levels until you're a senior skater? (because of the age restrictions..?)

and i know that you have to pass the free skate test to compete.

im 19, if that matters at all.

I'm unsure how it works exactly in America, but I know here, there is no separate Adult test track - our Adult levels are determined by which regular level test you have passed. For example, I have passed my Preliminary test, same as the others, but I compete as Adult Bronze - though I could compete Preliminary if I wanted to.

I believe in the US there is Open Juvenile for skaters who have aged out, but above that, I'm not sure.

moriel

Record Breaker
ah i see, that makes sense, thanks! which skater do you think they changed it for? im gonna guess yuzuru hanyu?

My guess is that the skater was Yuna Kim

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a question regarding the number of skaters given Grand Prix assignments from each country, specifically when looking at the Canadian ladies vs the American ladies. I see there were only four Canadians with GPs: Kaetlyn, Alaine, Veronik and Gabrielle, but nine Americans has GPs: Ashley, Gracie, Courtney, Polina, Karen, Hannah, Mariah, Angela and Mirai. I suppose my question is, how come the Americans have so many more ladies going to GPs? Is it based on their world ranking, ie there is more depth to the American ladies than there is with the Canadians? Or is it the federations that determine which of their skaters get GPs?

Thanks. :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have a question regarding the number of skaters given Grand Prix assignments from each country, specifically when looking at the Canadian ladies vs the American ladies. I see there were only four Canadians with GPs: Kaetlyn, Alaine, Veronik and Gabrielle, but nine Americans has GPs: Ashley, Gracie, Courtney, Polina, Karen, Hannah, Mariah, Angela and Mirai. I suppose my question is, how come the Americans have so many more ladies going to GPs? Is it based on their world ranking, ie there is more depth to the American ladies than there is with the Canadians? Or is it the federations that determine which of their skaters get GPs?

Thanks. :)

The basic layout is that:

1. If you are in the top 12 at worlds you are guaranteed 2 spots
2. If you are top 25 on the Seasons best list you are guaranteed 1 spot
3. If you are top 25 on the World Rankings list you are guaranteed 1 spot
4. No one can have more than 2 spots
5. Additional spots are filled by host picks (1 each per discipline in the host country) and by using more seasons best scores.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Canada!!!!! It's Me Again...:cheer2: Ok, first, it was Genie Bouchard, Then, It was Drake. Now, I'm listen to a song called Something Big. It's fun and it goes. Oh, Waoh, oh, oh, over and over. It's very catchy and I just had to know who sang it. Well, his name is Shawn Mendes and he's from Canada....Is he Popular like Genie and Drake??

Hang on I'll find it.

Here it is. "Something Big" By Shawn Mendes From........Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mytLRy32Viw

"It's like that feeling when you're just about to kill it,

Take your last shot you know you're gonna hit it.

"Something's in the air, something's in the air.
Whoa oh oh oh oh…

"It's like that feeling when you're 'bout to win the medal,

And you worked so hard that you knew you wouldn't settle,

"
Hands are in the air, hands are in the air."

:points:

mrrice

Record Breaker
"It's like that feeling when you're just about to kill it,

Take your last shot you know you're gonna hit it.

"Something's in the air, something's in the air.
Whoa oh oh oh oh…

"It's like that feeling when you're 'bout to win the medal,

And you worked so hard that you knew you wouldn't settle,

"
Hands are in the air, hands are in the air."

:points:

That's it!!!!! I love it...............How much fun would that song be for an exhibition program. Keegan........I know you're a Canadian Transplant but, you could have fun with this song. Anything but "Always look on the bright side of life" :disapp: