Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 181 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My almost 8 year old child has been in private lessons for over a year (maybe FS 4). I never know that she is going to be working on and there does not seem to be any consistency from week to week. She started private lessons after she passed FS 1. When I asked her coach what level she was - she did not know and said she was working on elements from 4, 5 and 6.

Should I expect the coach to discuss a training plan or tell me what she should be practicing? I am unclear about what level of communication I should get from her private coach. Should I pay for time to discuss what she is working on? I am confused on what is appropriate or the norm.

Hello Desert Sky!

You will probably get more answers to your question if you post as a new thread in “The Lutz Cornet” with a title like “Questions about Training Plan”.

Welcome to GS, post long and post often :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As for your question:

The ISU definitely has a rule that competing in JGP and GP in the same season is not allowed.

I am not aware of any rule (old or new) against competing in Junior Worlds and Worlds in the same season? But don't feel 100.00% sure.
And sorry that I do not remember one way or the other as to whether it was a proposal.

FWIW, Nam Nguyen competed at both Junior Worlds and Worlds in 2014. (Yikes, where did the time go? :eek: Doesn't feel like five years ago.)​

Unless it's new this season, I don't think there can be such a rule. Stanislava Konstantinova competed at both last season.

Seguin/Bilodeau in 2015 is another example of Worlds/Junior Worlds in the same year.

Thanks guys for the examples.

Have to admit, if somebody had mentioned NanaPat's example to me and I hadn't had the chance to check, I would have said that they were getting mixed up. That it was only Julianne that did both World Championships in the same year - Junior Ladies and Senior Pairs. I honestly didn't realise that it was the partnership that had done both World Championships in the same year. So, thank you so much for pointing that out. :bow:

Having read the replies, I am nearly sure that I'm getting mixed up with the rule for the Junior and Senior Grand Prix Series that ice coverage mentioned. Because if Konstantinova did both World Championships as recently as last season (thanks for reminding me, Spirals!), then there was no rule in place then. And if a rule had been brought in at the Congress in June, it would definitely have been mentioned in the threads about the rule changes over in The Edge. Because it would have been a very significant change that would not have been missed.

So, thank you all for putting me right.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't know where to ask this question. It's all about jumps. When I see skater doing double jumps, it looks like one full (360 degrrees) rotation. Is it about pre rotation, or my eyes are not good. Same with single jumps that look more like half jumps. Some triples look like having 2 revolutions. Uf, I don't understand. Please help!

gkelly

Record Breaker
There is some prerotation, but not a full rotation worth. Or even 180 degrees in most cases.

Try looking at some good single and double jumps in slow motion to see the difference between singles and doubles.
E.g., note the difference between the single axel (1.5 revolutions) vs. double axel (2.5) at the beginning of this program.

If you go to youtube and search for the name of a double jump, you will find a number of examples by non-elite skaters. Some of them will be cheated by more than a skater who can do triple jumps would need. But even so, if you slow them down you will see that there is more than one full revolution in the doubles.

And check out some clean, simple triples in slow motion as well. Again, they won't be a full 3 revolutions in the air, but they will be visibly more than 2.