Ice Dance SD - Cup of China 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - Cup of China 2013

aniela

On the Ice
To me that lift exit looked choreographed but then I also raised my eyebrows. I am really surprised that Shpilband didn't pick up on the fact that it might count as a fall (and possibly look like something went wrong).

she wasn't supposed to land on her knees. here is the lift at French Masters where they did it clean: http://youtu.be/LtDo-h97Wdg?t=3m36s
I must say I love this lift.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
B/S components scores were too high. The program was junior-ish in my opinion. Yes they were faster than the french but they just looked frantic and flailed everywhere

too bad for french getting level 1 on 2nd part of Finnstep. I'm sure Igor will be working hard to fix that by next gp. Their program was entertaining and classy.

KKonas

Medalist
Just woke up to watch this poorly skated event. Can't say I disagree much with the judging panel. Lots of little errors by every team. Wonder if the clear lack of interest from the audience was a downer. Brit commentators overly optimistic in their calling of this SD.

Matt K

On the Ice
B/S were skating in very intricate dance holds at the end of their program that made theirs more difficult than P/B's, but I just wish they didn't front-load this program so much as to put all the elements in the beginning like that. However they were very sharp and fast on their feet before it got a bit sloppy in the twizzles. Still, they skated very close together in the difficult sections of the dance.

P/B were good but their speed and power look like they're still in the very early stages of the season. I'd have both couples very close in the marks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well remember B/S redid the program or might be a new program so I trust and hope it will catch up later on in the season. right now P and B and B and S are in trouble if they want the bronze at the Olympics. the Italians and Weaver and Poje are a step up. I expected more fire in the belly from P and B but they left a lot of points on the table so that is good in that they can make it up. Maybe they will surprise us because at times they reminded me of their former teammates who kind of fizzled at the last olympics and from what we have seen in that "jinxed" spot - wbm - The israelis, the germans, the french and the Shibs dance teams in the past have won that medal and then fizzled out dropping position.

lcd

Match Penalty
Their PCS here was 30.41 - vs. Hubbells at 30.79 at Skate America, Shibs at 30.30. Again, too close for comfort. The 3 teams are nearly in a dead tie, when you take the influence of the differing tech panels out.[/QUOTE]

No offense intended Doris but I believe you are quoting the TES scores from Skate America.
In terms of PCS:

Shibs 30.96 (Sk Am)
C/Bates 30.41 (Cp Ch)
H/D 29.92 (Sk Am)

While it naturally is not 'correct' to necessarily compare scores from different events, the French team C/J competed at both events. Their PCS were relatively comparable across the 2 events: 27.74 (Sk Am, clean) vs. 27.20 (Cp Ch, with errors)

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 65.70 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 63.60 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 56.77 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 52.92 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 50.20 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Yiyi ZHANG / Nan WU (CHN)41.79 Short Dance
7. Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN) - 41.24 Short Dance, 2nd Copy

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To be complete:

Finlandia C&B 30.83
CoC C&B 30.41

Nebelhorn H&D 28.07
Skate America H&D 30.79
Skate Canada H&D 29.32

Skate America S&S 30.30

Not a penny worth of difference to choose between any of those PCS scores.

Matt K - It's true that B/S had much more close holds. But other than that, their choreography seemed very generic. Nothing interesting in terms of upper body movement or element layout or transitions.

P/B's program was much more open but I thought their timing was better, there were some nice choreographic touches throughout. Their SD isn't great either but it makes a slightly stronger statement than B/S's typical ballroom dance.

I think that B/S did skate better on the day. P/B need to step up their game.

I was expecting P/B to skate with more speed and power and I think they're capable of better programs.

Brit commentators overly optimistic in their calling of this SD.

Everything is always 'great' for them. Including elements with multiple mistakes. :p

wallylutz

Medalist
But if B&S skate like that, I&K will beat them at Russian Nationals if they are not careful.

Doubtful, it's the Russian Nationals after all, where Ice Dance observes a strict pecking order. But things may be a little different at Euros and later.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To be complete:

Finlandia C&B 30.83
CoC C&B 30.41

Nebelhorn H&D 28.07
Skate America H&D 30.79
Skate Canada H&D 29.32

Skate America S&S 30.30

Not a penny worth of difference to choose between any of those PCS scores.

Those are TES scores from Skate America, aren't they?

What I have for PCS are

Hubbell & Donohue
Nebelhorn: 28.46
Skate America: 29.92
Skate Canada: 29.42

Chock & Bates
Finlandia: 30.83
Cup of China: 30.41

Shibutanis
Skate America: 30.96

As far as TES:
Hubbell & Donohue
Nebelhorn: 28.07
Skate America: 30.70
Skate Canada: 32.50

Chock & Bates
Finlandia: 23.51
Cup of China: 28.77

Shibutanis
Skate America: 30.30

But the premise still stands that it's a three-way race.

Matt K

On the Ice
Matt K - It's true that B/S had much more close holds. But other than that, their choreography seemed very generic. Nothing interesting in terms of upper body movement or element layout or transitions.

P/B's program was much more open but I thought their timing was better, there were some nice choreographic touches throughout. Their SD isn't great either but it makes a slightly stronger statement than B/S's typical ballroom dance.

I think that B/S did skate better on the day. P/B need to step up their game.

I was expecting P/B to skate with more speed and power and I think they're capable of better programs.

I agree that there wasn't much variety in their movement and the dance lacked character, and as for the element layout, I :bang::bang: to see all their elements front loaded like that because it looks so obvious! That, IMO, ruins the look of the dance. On the other hand, it's impressive how not only super close skating together they are in those dance holds but how they move from one end of the rink to the other and halfway back without separating with relative speed :) Not sure if this was Zhulin's strategy.
I like the nuances to the music in P/B's SD in but it's a program that could've been given to any of the top 10 teams IMO. I'm disappointed they skated to a program like that. Although Shpilband did say he tried to leave their FD untouched as much as possible so maybe that will look different tomorrow.

I have exactly the same sentiments. B/S had good speed, despite all the closed holds. P/B have shown some very creative, concept-driven programs in the past and that SD didn't stand out in any way.

Hopefully this low score will really fire them up for the FD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mrs. P, Guess I'm having trouble with my eyes this A.M. after getting up at 3 am. this morning to watch this stuff.

I apologize.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be even worse tomorrow, as the FD is an hour earlier. Ugh. It was too early for breakfast this morning so I snacked on leftover Hallowe'en candy. By the time the Pairs SP started I got a bad case of hypoglycemia (after the blood sugar spike, I get an abrupt drop) and messed up my scoresheet. I CANNOT eat sugar on an empty stomach! :bang: I just threw out the rest of the candy.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Same thing for me :( I've get to head over to the neighbors to give away the candy to the local soup kitchen (they volunteer).

Sara

On the Ice
I was checking today the bios of different ice dancers to compare a bit. I was really surprised when I tried to google Tessa and Scott's bio and the search engine couldn't find it. Then I realized I had searched with words "isu bio Moir White". :clap:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Funny :)

Our US news people have the same problem. They keep saying Charlie Davis & Meryl White :laugh: No lie.