Pairs SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP - Cup of China 2013

bramweld

Record Breaker
^^ That's the point, they have seemingly sacrificed intricacy and sophisticated choreography just to do an axel that they rarely hit? And the guys are getting up there in age..hmmm....

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
And the chances of beating a clean V/T without it is 0, so...they have to do it.

They've been trying this element in competition since 2012. Hopefully by the time the Olympics rolls around, they can nail it cleanly.

good luck to that
even Mao who has been doing 3A since juniors gets two footed landings after all these years

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I am surprised to see P/T in the lead, for me their Lady Caliph does not compare favourably to B/S, still they deserved to be in the lead they were the best. I was disappointed with S/S, I don't see this programme challenging V/T in Sochi or anywhere else, I found the programme to be slow. I was pleasantly surprised with P/Z, much better than I expected, she has improved a lot in the last number of months.

I couldn't understand M/R low mark but when I watched it I see they messed up the combination spin. I think they were undermarked in PCS, they were ranked 7 of the 8th couples, a bit harsh I think.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) - 70.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 69.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) - 64.24 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 57.99 Short Program
5. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 57.16 Short Program
6. Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS) - 53.02 Short Program
7. Daria POPOVA / Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 51.82
8. Felicia ZHANG / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY (USA) - 50.33

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Is it just me or has time been quite kind to Pang/Tong. He doesn't look nearly as scary anymore to me and she doesn't look so emaciated. It could just be that I have gotten used to their look, but I think age has helped them.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love P/T's SP, very nicely done and skated. Like the dress too. She looks stunning.
S/S is about their average right now. The 3A th setup was really long and distracting, why don't they put it earlier so that they can do it better? There is no bonus for doing it late any way.

P/Z make big progress comparing with last year but I hate their costumes, so bizarre looking and color combination.

Thank you Mao88 again!

SimplyLex

On the Ice
And the chances of beating a clean V/T without it is 0, so...they have to do it.

They've been trying this element in competition since 2012. Hopefully by the time the Olympics rolls around, they can nail it cleanly.

This. Most of you guys in this thread oversee the point.

S/S are not going to be happy with a silver and doing a flip is just that - aiming at silver. They're going for gold. Even if their chances are 1%, they're still gonna try. They are fighters and silver is just a pretty package for defeat for them. I guess they would rather fall to bronze or even off the podium while trying to win the gold than simply give up the hopes of gold even before stepping on the ice.

I for one respect that. I would love for other teams to be so competitive and ambitious. And if they're seriously thinking of landing those axels in Sochi, they have to try them every chance they get. Even if it means losing some GP events before it clicks.

I still believe it will click and they will hit it.

Also, I wouldn't judge by what the jump looked like here. She just had a massive fall on that a couple days ago. She's probably still bruised, mentally too.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I got that and respect them for that. But a easier placement of the element would earn them just as much.

This. Most of you guys in this thread oversee the point.

S/S are not going to be happy with a silver and doing a flip is just that - aiming at silver. They're going for gold. Even if their chances are 1%, they're still gonna try. They are fighters and silver is just a pretty package for defeat for them. I guess they would rather fall to bronze or even off the podium while trying to win the gold than simply give up the hopes of gold even before stepping on the ice.

I for one respect that. I would love for other teams to be so competitive and ambitious. And if they're seriously thinking of landing those axels in Sochi, they have to try them every chance they get. Even if it means losing some GP events before it clicks.

I still believe it will click and they will hit it.

Also, I wouldn't judge by what the jump looked like here. She just had a massive fall on that a couple days ago. She's probably still bruised, mentally too.

shuchong

Spectator
wow, Peng is 29 and Zhang only 16. Huge age difference.

Peng is 16 and Zhang is 29……You know Zhang Hao was the OG silver medalist in 2006 with Zhang Dan. They also attended 2002 OG. Zhang Dan just retired 2 years ago.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Wow, first time seeing the new Chinese pair W/W, surprisingly good! I can't see why the American pair S/K ahead of them. S/K 's SP feels longer than a LP to me.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Wow, first time seeing the new Chinese pair W/W, surprisingly good! I can't see why the American pair S/K ahead of them. S/K 's SP feels longer than a LP to me.

Just watched W/W and S/K and I agree. And S/K's fall together really made me LOL, so synchronized.:laugh:Never seen this kind fall before.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
S/S has a beautiful piece of music, but the choreograph needs to be more dramatic & emotional. He should really change his "bootleg" pants.

apple123

On the Ice
Because it's Cup of China.

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 70.38 37.39 32.99 8.14 7.93 8.39 8.25 8.54 0.00 #7
2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 69.07 35.27 33.80 8.54 8.18 8.46 8.54 8.54 0.00 #8
3 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 64.24 35.89 28.35 7.11 6.82 7.29 7.04 7.18 0.00 #3
4 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA 57.99 32.56 27.43 6.93 6.61 6.71 7.00 7.04 2.00 #5
5 Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG CHN 57.16 32.81 25.35 6.36 5.93 6.57 6.46 6.36 1.00 #1
6 Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS 53.02 27.91 25.11 6.43 6.07 6.25 6.39 6.25 0.00 #4
7 Daria POPOVA / Bruno MASSOT FRA 51.82 27.60 25.22 6.43 6.04 6.18 6.46 6.43 1.00 #6
8 Felicia ZHANG / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY USA 50.33 27.13 24.20 6.00 5.93 6.11 6.18 6.04 1.00 #2

Let's not pretend you are talking about the camema work in your original post, shall we?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I got that and respect them for that. But a easier placement of the element would earn them just as much.

That's a fair point. I forgot pairs teams don't get a second half bonus for the SP. But then again, if they are still planning it late in their LP, then doing it late in their SP shouldn't be a problem either.

I just hope they can pull it out and win the Olympics, pending assessment of their LP. We need better than Jesus Christ Superstar. :sarcasm:

LRK

Record Breaker
That's a fair point. I forgot pairs teams don't get a second half bonus for the SP. But then again, if they are still planning it late in their LP, then doing it late in their SP shouldn't be a problem either.

I just hope they can pull it out and win the Olympics, pending assessment of their LP. We need better than Jesus Christ Superstar. :sarcasm:

There is always the wow-factor of it being the last thing they do?

(I didn't know - didn't realise - there wasn't a second half bonus for the pairs. Why not? It seems odd that they would be "left out", so to speak?)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
There is always the wow-factor of it being the last thing they do?

(I didn't know - didn't realise - there wasn't a second half bonus for the pairs. Why not? It seems odd that they would be "left out", so to speak?)

I would think that's a double edges sward. If they do it well, it would be a wow factor; if they failed, that would be an ouch factor.

If they put it earlier they would have more energy to have a better chance of success, and a peace of mind that it's done. If they fail, they could make up the impression by skating the lights out for the remaining portion of the program.

So I think it's still a good choice to put it out earlier unless they want to keep the rhythm in line with the LP so that they just need to get used to one pattern. Anyways, good luck S/S. It's nice to spice things up and make the competition less predictable.

deedee1

Record Breaker
1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 70.38 37.39 32.99 8.14 7.93 8.39 8.25 8.54 0.00 #7

Whee I'm over the moon! :yay: Qing Jian is my sentimental favorite, as well as Yuko Sasha. Even though it's CoC, they did great considering their age and series of injuries over these years, I think. Good luck to them in Free Skate! :party2: Hope they can finish 2nd after S/S at least.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker

Because pairs do so many risk elements: jumps, throws, twist and lift. Most pairs would probably just do their lift in the 2nd part, as they currently do in the FS (where there is a 2nd half bonus)