New camera operators, please? | Golden Skate

New camera operators, please?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Is it just me, or is the camera work in the coverage from China... a bit poor? I mean bad angles, bad tracking, shakey cameras, zoom in so we only see half the skater (either miss their footwork, or miss their head, upper body and arm movements)... etc etc.

And they crop the replays while we're waiting for the scores, so it can be difficult to see a skater's feet landing a jump in slo-mo...

Macassar88

Medalist
It has always been the worst - CoC sucks with their cameras. I swear - I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to zoom in on the ice one day instead of showing the skaters...

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Is it just me, or is the camera work in the coverage from China... a bit poor? I mean bad angles, bad tracking, shakey cameras, zoom in so we only see half the skater (either miss their footwork, or miss their head, upper body and arm movements)... etc etc.

And they crop the replays while we're waiting for the scores, so it can be difficult to see a skater's feet landing a jump in slo-mo...

Just to comment - it's not the camera operators, it's the director. He's the one who tells the camera operators where to aim their cameras. He's the one who decides to use the stupid overhead shots. He's the one who chooses to show close-ups of faces and miss the skating. It's pretty bad - but let's scream at the right person.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just to comment - it's not the camera operators, it's the director. He's the one who tells the camera operators where to aim their cameras. He's the one who decides to use the stupid overhead shots. He's the one who chooses to show close-ups of faces and miss the skating. It's pretty bad - but let's scream at the right person.

yup.

And as mentioned above, CoC has always seemed to have this problem. :no:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
New director please then :-D

And at least one new operator: the person filming the skaters as they leave the ice... that camera is apparently hand-held, very badly.

It's not poor, it's absolutely atrocious. You can hardly see what is going on because of the overhead shots, weird angles and zooming on skates and body parts at random moments. And the sudden changes look very jarring and give me a headache.

It looks like the director has absolutely no clue what he is doing. We should send complaint e-mails to the ISU as it's not like they are going to read this thread.