Rohene Ward | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rohene Ward

Gophergal89

Spectator
And now - with Jason Brown's US silver medal and trip to the 2014 Olympics, Rohene is an Olympic Coach and Choreographer! :) His talent just never ends!!!

noskates

Record Breaker
Thank you for your insight Gopher. It seems to me like he's found his niche with choreographing! Jason's LP and exhibition were works of art!!! Can hardly wait to see what he does next season.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Rohene was teaching Riverdance to Jason! Wouldn't you just love to see Rohene doing that number with his gorgeous lines and jumps?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I'm getting ahead of myself... but I can't wait to see what Rohene and Jason choose for next year.

Gophergal89, thanks so much for your insight. It's great to realize that Rohene has indeed found a way to skate that he enjoys--as a show skater. I will hunt for YouTube videos and enjoy him that way. Add to that his splendid choreography, and we have a fabulous array of treasure to contemplate.

(Now if we could just get him to choreograph for Daisuke and for Kurt....)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Choreographer Ward creates pieces of art for Brown
'Holiday on Ice' principal skater explains process of building programs

Posted 3/17/14 by Jean-Christophe Berlot, special to icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/17/68904270 (Mar 17)​

Very informative and interesting Q and A with Ward about his multifaceted career as a skater/performer/teacher/choreographer.
Lots of discussion of his work with Jason and Kori.

nimi

Medalist
Choreographer Ward creates pieces of art for Brown
'Holiday on Ice' principal skater explains process of building programs

Posted 3/17/14 by Jean-Christophe Berlot, special to icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/17/68904270 (Mar 17)​

Very informative and interesting Q and A with Ward about his multifaceted career as a skater/performer/teacher/choreographer.
Lots of discussion of his work with Jason and Kori.

What a refreshing interview! His approach is such an anthithesis to your average cookie cutter COP choreo, yet he manages to work within the system's limitations... it almost made me weep happy tears!

Loved this bit:

Icenetwork: If we may take an example: In the second half of his program, Jason does a hydroblade and connects it immediately to a double Axel. How did such a transition come?
Ward: Originally, the double Axel was planned in a choreographic sequence at the end of the program. Judges then offered some critiques, saying that it was too confusing for them to mark the footwork and then risk to miss that double Axel while adjusting their mark for the footwork. I told them that I was not there to make their job easier! But at the end of the day, you want to acknowledge that their advice is important. So we decided to place that double Axel right after the hydroblade (as the latter is not marked as an element by the judges), which does not disturb the flow of the piece.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this, Doris-their work looks really intriguing, and I would love to see more! Deneane Richburg, the artistic director, choreographed the piece Rohene performed at the AIT show in Chicago last May (to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings). It was probably my favorite piece / performance in the show (you can see a tiny snippet in this clip).

By the way, for those like me who are Ami Parekh fans, she also appears in the clip.

Back to topic: does anyone know if Rohene still scheduled to perform at the 2015 US Open Professional Skating Championships on May 23? I would so love to go but it's a bit of a schlep from Chicago. Are any of the Minnesotans among us attending? ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Reminder that Rohene was scheduled to be part of the meet and greet on May 21 at the Mall of America:
I assume that the event still is happening (but cannot swear to it).

... Back to topic: does anyone know if Rohene still scheduled to perform at the 2015 US Open Professional Skating Championships on May 23? I would so love to go but it's a bit of a schlep from Chicago. Are any of the Minnesotans among us attending? ;)

Updated roster of US Open pro competitors:

Rohene still is listed.

jacque

Rinkside
HI everyone I was just wondering does anyone have any recent news on rohene ward lately is he back training at 7k.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating Championships: Rohene Ward finds choreography is music to his ears

Reminder re Rohene at US Nats:
The Opening Ceremony will feature 80 local skaters showcasing the history of figure skating in Minnesota. This not to be missed event is choreographed by Minnesota native Rohene Ward, who will also skate in the ceremony. ...
http://www.2016uschampionships.com/special-events/
Thursday, January 21 (7:30 p.m. local time, before the Senior Ladies SP)​

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ward, 32, a graduate of Minneapolis North who cites one current favorite of skaters, the "Roxanne tango" from "Moulin Rouge," as a piece of music he can't stand.

I knew there was a reason I like Rohene

:)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to mention from the Star Tribune article:

“The other day, I was sitting on the boards in jeans, a hoodie and a parka, and [student] Mariah Bell said, ‘Do a triple loop,’ ” he said. “So I did. Someone’s got to keep these kids on their toes.”:agree:

If I wanted a thread with 3,000 nasty comments about Rohene, I'd post what he said about Yuzu. Which I may actually agree at times with But I don't ETA: want the thread, so I won't.... ...:scard7:

Last edited: