Tatsuki Machida | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
No, they don't show it live.
Wow, surprising a) it's not live, and b) they cut Machida.

Anyway, what a great season for Machida! He made a big splash at the beginning of the season at Skate America - proved himself consistent and worthy of The Big Time, and he was on fire at this World's. His silver medal was well deserved, and could so easily have been gold. Very impressive.

I loved the interactions between him and Hanyu in interviews at World's. It is good for Machida to have a target to aim for (Hanyu), and good for Hanyu to have a worthy rival at home, to keep him on his toes. This kind of good-natured rivalry drives both to ever greater heights and can only be good for them, and Japan.

nimi

Medalist
Hi, a former lurker/new poster here :)

Anyway, what a great season for Machida! He made a big splash at the beginning of the season at Skate America - proved himself consistent and worthy of The Big Time, and he was on fire at this World's. His silver medal was well deserved, and could so easily have been gold. Very impressive.

ITA. Just revisited a 2012 article called "world team aspiration for Machida" (cannot post a link, sorry) and reading it just made me so happy that he finally made the team and proved that he is not only a beautiful skater, but a strong competitor too.

Does anybody know whether he is going to stick with Anthony Liu the coming season? I hope so, the results have indeed been impressive.

Also, fingers crossed for more Lambiel choreo...

nimi

Medalist
Does anybody know whether he is going to stick with Anthony Liu the coming season? I hope so, the results have indeed been impressive.

Oops, I forgot that Lake Arrowhead closed last year and Machida moved back to Nagoya to train under Onishi.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I am excited to hear feedback about Tatsuki's performances in the ongoing ice shows in Japan and how he has been received. I hope he is gaining the popularity that his talent and level of commitment deserve. :)

peechiddy

Spectator
his worlds short program was so powerful!! if he could continue that kind of performance, he and yuzu will be battling for top man in japan

tatsuki and yuzu interactions are adorable; for those who haven't seen this yet :"")

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I am excited to hear feedback about Tatsuki's performances in the ongoing ice shows in Japan and how he has been received. I hope he is gaining the popularity that his talent and level of commitment deserve. :)

Yes indeed, people seem to really enjoy his performances in the ice shows. He has a high rate of success, not only in his jumps but in his artistry as well. All great signs that he will only get better. I hope he continues for more than just 2 more seasons.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yes indeed, people seem to really enjoy his performances in the ice shows. He has a high rate of success, not only in his jumps but in his artistry as well. All great signs that he will only get better. I hope he continues for more than just 2 more seasons.

Thank you. :) I remember reading an article where Tatsuki was quoted saying that he wants to have good results in competitions so he can get invited to ice shows/exhibitions. I am glad it is happening for him right now and that he is getting his due even if Yuzuru is there. Still it may not be a bad thing for Tatsuki to be under the radar considering the insane level of scrutiny that Yuzuru is under right now.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
http://telly.com/1IPSAA0
Short Osaka show Clips and an interview with Hanyu and Machida together.
They talk about each other a bit.
Interviewer: What do you think about Hanyu winning 3 Gold Medals?
Machida: He has a lot strength that I don't have. I'm inspired by him.
I: What kind of strength?
M: For example, if Hanyu was a mouse and a Lion attacked him, he would not cower but fight the lion and win! He has that strength.
H: I still have places where it is just jumps I want to be fully artistic like Machida.
I: You said you would crush Hanyu...
H: They focused on just that one portion
M: They did, they didn't take it in context, it was half a joke half earnest. I want us to compete next season.

nimi

Medalist
^ lol Yuzu the fierce super-mouse :laugh:

Yes indeed, people seem to really enjoy his performances in the ice shows. He has a high rate of success, not only in his jumps but in his artistry as well.

The great choreographer Phillip Mills (who sat with Machida at Worlds kiss&cry) has praised his "purity of movement", which is what I most love about Machida's skating. Sure, he can jump, but he doesn't need those kind of big flashy tricks to hold my attention. He is one of the few currently competing skaters who could do a sloooooow number with nothing but gliiiiiiiiding and spinning around the ice and I'd be happy to watch it. Glad to hear the audiences - as well as Yuzu - appreciate his artistic qualities!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
http://telly.com/1IPSAA0
Short Osaka show Clips and an interview with Hanyu and Machida together.
They talk about each other a bit.
Interviewer: What do you think about Hanyu winning 3 Gold Medals?
Machida: He has a lot strength that I don't have. I'm inspired by him.
I: What kind of strength?
M: For example, if Hanyu was a mouse and a Lion attacked him, he would not cower but fight the lion and win! He has that strength.
H: I still have places where it is just jumps I want to be fully artistic like Machida.
I: You said you would crush Hanyu...
H: They focused on just that one portion
M: They did, they didn't take it in context, it was half a joke half earnest. I want us to compete next season.

Thank you newbiespectator for that lovely video and translation of Tatsuki and Yuzuru's interview. :)

It still amazes me that for all the utter confidence he projects on the ice, Tatsuki seems so soft-spoken and shy, almost diffident, off it. I noticed during the interview that he kept his eyes mostly downcast, while Yuzuru seemed more at ease before the media. I am happy Tatsuki reiterated his determination to be competitive with Yuzuru this coming season, and there is no reason why he can't be as he has one of the most consistent 4T and 3A. As Worlds silver medalist with multiple GP titles, Tatsuki is also gaining the reputation to boost his PCS score, so I don't think Saitama is his highwater mark. He can still go higher.

LoL at Tatsuki comparing Yuzuru to a mouse, albeit a fierce one. For me the analogy is more apt for Tatsuki because he is (ahem) tiny, smaller even than some of the ladies of TJ, yet he has a heart of a lion -- he must have to finally make it to the national team in an Olympic year no less!

Mentally as we saw at the Worlds, he also can keep it together. Winning silver, almost gold, at one's Worlds debut is simply a fantastic achievement.

^

The great choreographer Phillip Mills (who sat with Machida at Worlds kiss&cry) has praised his "purity of movement", which is what I most love about Machida's skating. Sure, he can jump, but he doesn't need those kind of big flashy tricks to hold my attention. He is one of the few currently competing skaters who could do a sloooooow number with nothing but gliiiiiiiiding and spinning around the ice and I'd be happy to watch it. Glad to hear the audiences - as well as Yuzu - appreciate his artistic qualities!

I agree. Stephane Lambiel also notes that Tatsuki can easily pick up the nuances of the choreography; he'll tell Tatsuki what to do and Tatsuki immediately understands and does it. No wonder he has expressed an interest in doing choreography himself. A man of many talents indeed.

nimi

Medalist
It still amazes me that for all the utter confidence he projects on the ice, Tatsuki seems so soft-spoken and shy, almost diffident, off it. I noticed during the interview that he kept his eyes mostly downcast, while Yuzuru seemed more at ease before the media.

From the 2012 interview:

When asked  how he he would describe himself, Machida paused for a  moment before saying,  “Nobody has ever asked me about that. I think I am quiet and shy, but I am different on the ice. I like to show emotions to the audience, but overall I’m an average person.”

Aaaaaaw... :eek::

As far as his hilarious characterization of Yuzu goes... As everybody who is familiar with Monty Python should know, it's the little furry creatures that you should watch out for. That killer bunny really was LETHAL!
Now, think about a fierce mouse wielding a pair of sharp blades... Yup, the lion's going down. :laugh:

But really, anybody who survives the Japanese nationals and makes it to the Japanese team is a tough cookie.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
[/QUOTE] When asked  how he he would describe himself, Machida paused for a  moment before saying,  “Nobody has ever asked me about that. I think I am quiet and shy, but I am different on the ice. I like to show emotions to the audience, but overall I’m an average person.”

Aaaaaaw... :eek::

But really, anybody who survives the Japanese nationals and makes it to the Japanese team is a tough cookie.[/QUOTE]

Sort of like Tatsuki's gala exhibition at Sochi where he switched from the nerdy professorial type to air guitar strumming rocker. Tatsuki obviously knows himself well: in the words of British Euosport commentators, he is a man comfortable in his own skin. Well, he fascinates me even more! :)

[/QUOTE] As far as his hilarious characterization of Yuzu goes... As everybody who is familiar with Monty Python should know, it's the little furry creatures that you should watch out for. That killer bunny really was LETHAL!
Now, think about a fierce mouse wielding a pair of sharp blades... Yup, the lion's going down. :laugh: [/QUOTE]

Poor Yuzuru. Over at the Yuzuru thread, he has been compared to a squirrel, and now Tatsuki likened him to a mouse. Quite a long way from Romeo. ;)

Anyway goes to show that both Tatsuki and Yuzuru are certainly good for soundbites. Just recalling Tatsuki's vow to "CRUSH" Yuzuru this coming season gives me a chuckle, and not because I think it's beyond Tatsuki. Good it's all in the spirit of healthy. friendly competition!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yes, he has said he will retire before the next Olympics, most likely after the next season. But who knows, he might change his mind.

Yes, I read he has said Sochi will be his first and last Olympics. Let's wait and see.

[/QUOTE]@MariaVictoria: Well, after all he does train with Super Javi... ;)[/QUOTE]

:)