Tatsuki Machida | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A lot of people mistake his dramatic antics for arrogance but yes, I would call him a bit of a diva. His way of expressing himself is as dramatic as his bows - he often talks with metaphors and he takes everything very seriously. Japanese fans often have trouble trying to understand what he wanted to say :laugh: Media also likes to paint him as an eccentric guy and he's commonly known as the "philosophy prince". :laugh: Funny that a guy like this doesn't have an "it-factor" in some people's view. But what's the ideal recipe for an "it-factor" anyway.
Aww, I wish I could understand Japanese. Tatsuki sounds like a fascinating person (the whole talking in metaphors thing and people having trouble understanding him. :rofl:). We need more of this, not less!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Aww, I wish I could understand Japanese. Tatsuki sounds like a fascinating person (the whole talking in metaphors thing and people having trouble understanding him. :rofl:). We need more of this, not less!

I think the famous "timshel" incident is worth mentioning in this case. At the beginning of the previous season there was a press conference where the skaters were called to present their new programs so Tatsuki went ahead to unveil his "East Of Eden" SP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHT1QwQne4Q

Tatsuki: 'Timshel' is the main concept of my short program. The translation of timshel is "thou mayest". It means 'Carve out your own destiny' in brief. The word timshel has an extremely powerful meaning. And Timshel is... (notice the rest of the team cracking up behind him)

MC: Mao-san, what do you think about "timshel"?

Mao: What? Don't ask me about that.

Narrator: And so, Machida-senshu continued to provide us various other unique anecdotes.

This reminds me, since this particular press conference, his nickname (beside philosophy prince and the likes) has been "timshel". :biggrin:

Also - speaking of his famous bows, there is actually a video with the "evolution" of his bows over the years - it's hysterical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyuSnbiR5Kc

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think I need to go read Steinbeck's novel, then come back and watch Tatsuki's SP again. I mean, I now have an excuse to gratuitously apply literary analysis to figure skating programs. :biggrin:

(Btw, Dai's open-mouthed expression behind Tatsuki... :rofl:)

Here's Tatsuki's famous Sochi EX performance, "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. Very difficult to find on the internet and it's thankfully in great quality.
http://video.yandex.ua/users/jejel/view/621/
I remember this. While I can't say that's what made me a fan, I remember really enjoying the salaryman-channels-inner-rockstar EX.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
To add more recent materials - his backstage rituals at Skate America as Jeremy was waiting for his score
http://youtu.be/pic0WwC95B8?t=4m12s

When it comes to talking about his backstage rituals, I'm curious as to why he touched the ice with a hand as he made his exit after his performance done. :rolleye:
Maybe he is grateful to all materials that enable him to show his performance?

ioanna

Record Breaker
When it comes to talking about his backstage rituals, I'm curious as to why he touched the ice with a hand as he made his exit after his performance done. :rolleye:
Maybe he is grateful to all materials that enable him to show his performance?

Japan's Tatsuki Machida has a unique habit: As he leaves the ice after a competition or practice session, he always takes the time to touch the ice before going to the kiss and cry or the dressing room. "I am just thanking the ice," he said with a smile. When you think of those billion ice crystals that make the ice a human possibility…

Source

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
"I am just thanking the ice," he said with a smile. When you think of those billion ice crystals that make the ice a human possibility…Source

Thank you for the super-quick answer. Wow, it looks like a kind of animism. Cuteness overload though. :laugh:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Many thanks to rosewood of FSU for compiling this list of news about Tatsuki's condition

It seems Machida's preparation for GPF didn't go well. Shame I can't find any detailed interview with him so far. Below are the excerpts from some articles.

Interview after SP
Machida: It was tough both mentally and physically to travel back and forth from France to Japan and back in Europe again in the span of two weeks.

Interview after SP
Machida: In the morning practice my condition was desperately bad. Although I nailed quads, I didn't know why I could do it. I was totally out of point.

Brief article after LP
"I was shattered," Machida ended up in 6th. Totally stalled in LP.
He piled up mistakes after underrotating the opening 4T. He totally stalled. "I can't recall when I made such many mistakes last time," Machida looked back. He was very busy with the graduation thesis and he once declined the participation in GP final. But it's said his withdrawal for the reason of other than injuries was not accepted. That said, "I did everything I can do for accomplishing my ideal performance. I'm not regretful even though I made mistakes." He was determined to redeem in Nationals.

Machida(in 6th): "For Japanese skaters it's very difficult to control peaking for GP final since we have Nationals following this competition. I respect the skaters who dealt with it well."

Brief article after LP
He continued writing his thesis even during the competition.
Machida of Kansai University placed the bottom with LP of nightmare - He even took withdrawal into consideration.
It was a long program of nightmare. It costed him not only missing the chance of winning a medal but also rolling him down to the bottom at the GP final of his third appearance. He fell on three jumps including the opening quad. "Shame I was bounced off the wall," said Machida with a bitter face.

The 'wall' means the ideal performance that he pursues in his LP to Beethoven's symphony No.9. This program has steps and turns inbetween the jumps here and there, and it makes this program very difficult to deliver perfectly, "as exquisite as threading a needle," he needs the super adjustment. "My performance here was to be ashamed of, but I don't have regrets. I'll see a light when I get over the difficulty," he was determined.

He is a man of letters and arms. His sleeping time got shorter even during the competition because of the graduation thesis. He once submitted a notice of withdrawal for the reason of lack of preparation. His next competition is Japan Nationals which starts from December 26th. It is an important competition where he won a spot for Worlds where he won a silver medal in the last season. "I will make the gears engaged," he showed the deep commitment.

Alba

Record Breaker
"My performance here was to be ashamed of, but I don't have regrets. I'll see a light when I get over the difficulty,"

Indeed, and there is nothing to be ashamed of. :)

When is the SP starting at Nationals, do you have the calendar guys?

Alba

Record Breaker
Ok so you know. :laugh:

Japan is GMT +9
Japan National:
December 26th - Men's SP
December 27th - Men's FS

Russian National (Sochi GMT +3)
Friday, December 26: 14:00–16:30 Ladies' short
Saturday, December 27: 17:30–20:20 Ladies' free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqnO8iGz9o :hopelessness:

Last edited: