Tatsuki Machida | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

mikaboo

Medalist
^ I know right? They just seem to love France!
I couldn't find a video of the new program unfortunately. Fingers crossed that it will come out soon.

Smoking is bad for his health, but it could also be dangerous if he lost it/swallowed it during one of his jumps :eek:

mikaboo

Medalist
^ It definitely looks interesting doesn't it? I don't even know if they broadcast the Prince Ice World shows on TV (I'm a newbie).
Hopefully he'll be performing it for a while so we can catch it sometime soon.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks mikaboo! Tatsuki's exhibition looks ...interesting. I'll reserve judgment until I see the whole program. So apparently he'll have two props for it: the cigarette and the red scarf. I think there's some symbolism there somewhere as befits Tatsuki's being a philosopher. :)

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks mikaboo! Tatsuki's exhibition looks ...interesting. I'll reserve judgment until I see the whole program. So apparently he'll have two props for it: the cigarette and the red scarf. I think there's some symbolism there somewhere as befits Tatsuki's being a philosopher. :)

I just added another video to the previous post. Take a look! :popcorn:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I just added another video to the previous post. Take a look! :popcorn:

I love it!:love: Congratulations to Tatsuki on his new exhibition where he wore two hats (pardon the pun), i.e., as skater and choreographer. Thanks mikaboo for sharing the link.

I thought Tatsuki was able to convey sadness and loss very well. The camera wasn't able to capture his expression at the closing part, but it wasn't necessary as his tenderly kissing the scarf (presumably belonging to the missing beloved) and looking up into the distance adequately conveyed his feelings. It wasn't soaring and uplifting as "East of Eden," but with that reflective, almost melancholic, music, it wasn't meant to be. A "mood" piece.

From wikipedia, I learned that the music is actually more than a hundred years old!: "Je te veux" (French for I want you) is a song composed by Erik Satie to a text by Henry Pacory. A sentimental waltz, it was written for Paulette Darty, whose accompanist Satie had been for a period of time. The text consists of two verses and a repeated chorus.

The song was registered with SACEM on 20 November 1902, but Roland-Manuel argued it had actually been composed in 1897. Satie composed various versions of the Je te veux waltz: for piano and voice, for an orchestra of brass instruments and for full orchestra (including a Trio). The piano and voice version was first published in 1903.

The melody was performed to the public in 1903 at La Scala. In 1925 the song was recorded with Yvonne George as singer. Je te veux was also recorded by Mathé Altéry, Régine Crespin, Gigliola Negri, Nicolaï Gedda and Davide Bassino, and later by sopranos Jessye Norman, Marie Devellereau and Angela Gheorghiu. Other notable renditions include the ones by Japanese group ALI PROJECT and Japanese chip musician SAITONE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_te_veux

PS. Tatsuki said something starting at 1:19 of the video of the link you added which caused his TJ teammates to laugh. Can I ask for a translation of what he said? Thanks again!

mikaboo

Medalist
PS. Tatsuki said something starting at 1:19 of the video of the link you added which caused his TJ teammates to laugh. Can I ask for a translation of what he said? Thanks again!

This was the reason they were laughing.

Machida: I was inspired by a photo by a French photographer Robert Doisneau called "Le Baiser de l'hôtel de ville", (Kiss by the Hotel de Ville) and made this program based on it. I wanted a stylish program that you could casually watch while drinking tea in a cafe on a nice spring-like day. The story is staged in the 1950s and is about a man and a woman who live in Paris. The rest, I'll leave it up to your imagination.
Kozuka: There is nothing left for the imagination. You've already said everything.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks again mikaboo!

Link to "Le Baiser de l'hôtel de ville", (Kiss by the Hotel de Ville): http://www.robertdoisneau.com/largehotelkiss.htm. Said to be the iconic image of young love in Paris. And out of that image, Tatsuki was able to weave and skate to a story of (to me) longing and loss. Not sure whether I'd want to watch that on a nice spring-like day, maybe on a rainy day?

Anyway, thanks for giving me a window to his creative process.

PS. I think Takahiko was just teasing Tatsuki about being "long-winded." ;)

foruiz

Final Flight
I wasn't sure how to spell まっちー in English. Macchy or Matchy? But anyway I'm glad you brought up "matcha" because that's what it sounds similar to ;)
I confirmed on this video that the girls call him "Matchy" :) (and are imitating his hand moves in silence)

Massaa, ち is "sa", since the っ preceding ち is in smaller font, this just extends the next consonant. The dash ー extends the vowel. Matcha has a "ya" in the end まっちゃ

mikaboo

Medalist
Massaa, ち is "sa", since the っ preceding ち is in smaller font, this just extends the next consonant. The dash ー extends the vowel. Matcha has a "ya" in the end まっちゃ

Actually, ち is "chi" and さ is "sa". I'm Japanese btw :biggrin:

foruiz

Final Flight
^I agree, learning a new language is a struggle. And that is just for starters. Adding Kanji and Katakana might spell disaster for me later on.

With regard to Tatsuki's new program, would it be best that he uses a pipe instead of a cigarette? The bigger the item, the less chance that he swallows it during performance. :slink: The pipe also gives a more old world vibe.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
foruiz
With regard to Tatsuki's new program, would it be best that he uses a pipe instead of a cigarette? The bigger the item, the less chance that he swallows it during performance. :slink: The pipe also gives a more old world vibe.

Somehow I think is more dangerous if he were to fall with the pipe (don´t want to be too graphic, but use your imagination)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
And the girls had the "here we go again" smirk on their faces ;)

Ah yes :). In fairness, Tatsuki I don't think talks just to listen to himself or for the sake of talking; he just has a lot of things to say because obviously he's very bright and well-read. I would love to listen to him "pontificate," unlike Yuzuru at least in this instance ;):

[To Tatsuki]
Yuzuru: A question for Tatsuki-kun! What’s a good one. Lalala…. maybe a serious secret. The secret to good posture. Ahh, that’s a good one right, or maybe an easier question!
Tatsuki: Yuzuru, are you going to ask me a question!? I heard you asking, “Are there any questions he hates to be asked?” Ah, you still haven’t decided on one!?
Y: I think there are a lot of questions you hate to be asked (laughs), but I guess it’s best if I just ask one I want to ask. I’ve been thinking about this, but what’s the best way to learn English.
T: That kind of question, how am I supposed to know!
Y: I thought it would be a good question to ask…
T: Ah, ok, I’ll think about it.

M A C H I D A Tatsuki

[Answer] Now that you moved your training base to Canada, everyone around you speaks English. Once the season begins, a skater has to take advantage of everything or else, but your usual surrounding has changed. The people you’re used to aren’t around anymore. But that’s not all, you’ll have to interact with people in English more and more! Our time away from home is a long one so it’s best to put that time to good use and really study. 15 minutes a day should be good. Keeping up with it is the most important! (At this moment, Hanyu was getting a bit distracted and messing with something.) Hey! I’m answering YOUR question right now! (A really angry Machida!) Where was I, yes, keeping up with your studies, and of course, using English. Since your coach uses English, it’s really necessary, but I hope you have fun while learning. This guy seems like a serious person, but 10 minutes with him you realize… no, he’s not serious at all. Agh, throughout this interview, he’s been such a nuisance, soooo annoying! (The annoying Yuzuru was showing the beautiful shot he took of Machida Tatsuki for the “Shots of Kanako and Yuzuru’s Friends” section in the “2013 Ladies Fan Book.”)

Source: http://magicaleggplant.tumblr.com/post/40725611827/team-japan-mens-question-relay-part-2

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^The Tumblr post was dated January 16, 2013 so the exchange between Tatsuki and Yuzuru must have happened earlier but definitely after Yuzuru had moved to Toronto for training. I don't know whether there was a video as I think the TJ relay question of which this was a part was for a magazine feature, but the annotation was so descriptive ("really angry Machida") that I could picture in my mind the actuations of the two. I think Yuzuru has grown up a bit (matured) since then. :)

PS. Tatsuki did have good points, especially about Yuzuru having to learn English so he can meaningfully interact with his coach (Brian Orser).