Tatsuki Machida | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well putting it that way, it's always speculation unless the parties involved confirm it; which in their cases would have ruined their privacy. It's more about reading between the lines. It started from Shoma possibly having a crush on Daisuke - which is even more of a speculation compared to Tatsuki's story, who was living in Hiroshima but was taking the train to Okayama every day just to attend the same high school as Daisuke, moved to Osaka and got into Kansai University, same as Daisuke. His mom was saying he wanted to be on the same podium with Daisuke and the list goes on; since LGBT is still a taboo subject in Japan, he could have done or said almost anything without anyone suspecting :laugh: As for Daisuke, well, a year later since that press conference he still didn't have a partner so his comment was mostly for entertainment purposes. In the end he has the right to hide things about his personal life.

If we're talking actual relationships, there have been strong ongoing
rumors about Tatsuki being in a relationship with Haruka Imai for years. Some reporters actually asked Imai to confirm it and her entourage quickly sanctioned them for being improper.

Tatsuki is supposed to finish his grad school in March. He was a teacher assistent, he wrote, researched, held presentations and was praised for his work. No idea what he plans to do next but he used to talk about directing ice shows and being a coach/choreographer.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Well putting it that way, it's always speculation unless the parties involved confirm it; which in their cases would have ruined their privacy. It's more about reading between the lines. It started from Shoma possibly having a crush on Daisuke - which is even more of a speculation compared to Tatsuki's story, who was living in Hiroshima but was taking the train to Okayama every day just to attend the same high school as Daisuke, moved to Osaka and got into Kansai University, same as Daisuke. His mom was saying he wanted to be on the same podium with Daisuke and the list goes on; since LGBT is still a taboo subject in Japan, he could have done or said almost anything without anyone suspecting :laugh: As for Daisuke, well, a year later since that press conference he still didn't have a partner so his comment was mostly for entertainment purposes. In the end he has the right to hide things about his personal life.

As I said, I don't doubt that Tatsuki was infatuated with Dai. To suspect the same of Shoma is completely unfounded in my eyes. :)

Regarding the bolded part, yeah, that is what he said in public, but there are strong indications, that he was in a relationship during some time in 2014 and possibly early 2015 and these indications are much more tangible than anything Tatsuki related, as there apparently were people, who did not respect Daisuke's privacy and leaked media, that they shouldn't have. I think most of it was removed from the internet now, thankfully. So I will stop talking about it here.

Thank you for the update on Tatsuki's current status! I'm sure he'd make a wonderful choreographer for other skaters as well and I can totally see him rivaling Kenji or even Lambiel in a few years (yeah, I know that's a bold statement, but I really do think so).

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you for the update on Tatsuki's current status! I'm sure he'd make a wonderful choreographer for other skaters as well and I can totally see him rivaling Kenji or even Lambiel in a few years (yeah, I know that's a bold statement, but I really do think so).

Lambiel is a long way but I think domestically, he could seriously rival Kenji. In a "favorite choreographers" fan poll made by Fuji TV last year, Kenji placed 4th and Tatsuki (who has only choreographed programs for himself) placed 5th, closely behind.

beki

Medalist
So Tatsuki has skated his 5th self-choreographed program, Ave Maria performed by Chris Botti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JqOMeTGWnQ

He wrote a whole new essay about it which I will translate and post here if anyone is interested. The program has no jumps. He got a standing ovation from the audience, technical panel and some of the ladies in the kiss&cry.

Just incredible. I only came to know of him at the 2012 4CC, but I became a major fan for the rest of his amateur career (his abrupt retirement was heartbreaking). But now I see there is much more from him I can discover. I have been reminiscing watching youtube videos, and he and Johnny Weir are the only ones who really pay attention to creating a beautiful body line.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday, Tatsuki! :hap10:

I can't believe time flies so fast. I always wish him well.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
For Tatsuki's birthday, someone on tumblr translated Yuzuru Hanyu's interview about Tatsuki's retirement with great details on language subtleties, of : https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/158...%AE-on-twitter

Hi Altie! The link unfortunately does not work for me. :(

Joining in the birthday greetings for Tatsuki. I am just so thankful I discovered him in his penultimate season of competitive skating, where he achieved his best results. What I love about his skating is its purposiveness with every movement seemingly imbued with meaning and also the attention to detail, including his bows apres skating. I feel that he pours everything that he is into his skating: mind, heart, body, soul.

So Happy Birthday Tatsuki! I wish you well in all your endeavors both on and off ice!

ETA: The link in the Yuzuru fanfest worked. Thanks Altie! :)

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Very late to the party, but nevertheless: Happy 27th Birthday to the one true awesome ice philosopher! :hb:

I still remember how Tatsuki mused several years back that he'd be forgotten as soon as he retired. Boy, was he wrong! Instead of fulfilling his gloomy prophecy, he continues to be an inspiring, venerated artist to fellow skaters and fans of the sport alike and even managed to impress a certain mangaka so profoundly she was determined to introduce his legacy to an even wider audience that would've never heard of him otherwise.

And the most remarkable thing is that what's still gaining him new admirers two years after his retirement, is that he still has the power to grab spectators' hearts' at first sight by continuing to create gorgeous, innovative figure skating art. :love: Can't wait for his new program at PIW! Here's also to many more to come!

(I really hope someone gives him a chance to do their competitive/exhibition programs for them. I'm sure he'll be great at expanding his vision to other performers. :))

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki finished his two year post grad school in March and is now pursuing a doctoral course. On March 22nd, he gave an oral presentation at the 40th annual Athletics and Sports Management Academic Conference and was awarded Best Presentation.

He is currently specialized in sports management, sports culture, cultural economics and body art theory.

He is affiliated with:

Japan Sports Management Association
Japan Physical Education and Sports Management Society
Cultural Economics Association <Japan>
Japan Art Management Association
Dance Association
Copyright Act Law Association

Rough translation from his official website
http://tatsuki-machida.com/

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really hoping to see his new Don Quijote program. Any idea when he will be skating that? I know Don Q. is considered a war horse by many, but I love it. And it has a treasure trove of wonderful music, so I'll be interested to see which sections Tatsuki chose for his program. I was just recently watching Alina Zagitova and Takeshi Honda's versions.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I'm really hoping to see his new Don Quijote program. Any idea when he will be skating that? I know Don Q. is considered a war horse by many, but I love it. And it has a treasure trove of wonderful music, so I'll be interested to see which sections Tatsuki chose for his program. I was just recently watching Alina Zagitova and Takeshi Honda's versions.

You mean when they will broadcast that? Because he's already skated the program a few times. We'll see it on May 14.

He has already skated to Don Quixote before, choreographed by Stephane Lambiel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pZYUvo8Hk

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean when they will broadcast that? Because he's already skated the program a few times. We'll see it on May 14.

He has already skated to Don Quixote before, choreographed by Stephane Lambiel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pZYUvo8Hk

Hope I like the new version as much as the 2011 version. Of course Stephane would have him end with the Poeta-style pose! :) Awhile back I did a search for fs Don Q. programs. I wonder why his didn't show up. Thx for sharing.