Tatsuki Machida | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

chihiro1859

Rinkside
Yesterday,Tatsuki commented on the Japanese TV program about the Pyong Chang Olympics figure skating.

At the end of the TV program, several wonderful figure skating programs chosen by Tatsuki from this Olympic were introduced.
The name of that part is "Machida’s selection"
The one introduced in "Machida selection" is here.

· Alexei Bychenko SP
· Gabrielle Daleman FS(Team Event)
· Mirai Nagasu FS(Team Event)
· Javier Fernández SP
· Nathan Chen FS
· Savchenko/Massot FS
· Virtue/Moir FD
· Papadakis/Cizeron FD

tammienorrie

Spectator
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a while on the forum (mainly on this FF and a few others, really) and I was itching to write something about the recent advancement of the sport, but I don't want to make a controversial first impression, so I will write something no one will object to...

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Tatsuki Machida!

( I'm not going to say that he has the prettiest lutz in the world, but despite loving the sport since hearly Plushenko era, I only now got around to trying to figure out the technicalities and his Lutz at CaOI 2017 opening was the first time I recognized a jump ever. The external edge! The counterotation! I see it now!)

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just wanted to say hello and tell that you can count me as one of yours :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a while on the forum (mainly on this FF and a few others, really) and I was itching to write something about the recent advancement of the sport, but I don't want to make a controversial first impression, so I will write something no one will object to...

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Tatsuki Machida!

( I'm not going to say that he has the prettiest lutz in the world, but despite loving the sport since hearly Plushenko era, I only now got around to trying to figure out the technicalities and his Lutz at CaOI 2017 opening was the first time I recognized a jump ever. The external edge! The counterotation! I see it now!)

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just wanted to say hello and tell that you can count me as one of yours :)

Hello! Are you a new fans of his? Asking because you mentioned his 3Lz at CaOI 2017 although I think he popped it there. He used to try 4Lz in practice but unfortunately never had the opportunity to do it in competition.

tammienorrie

Spectator
Hello! Are you a new fans of his? Asking because you mentioned his 3Lz at CaOI 2017 although I think he popped it there. He used to try 4Lz in practice but unfortunately never had the opportunity to do it in competition.

Hello to you! :palmf: You are absolutely right, of course, I meant 2016... CaOI 2016 opening, the "Move your body" number... that one :love:
I'm a relatively new fan as I discovered him after his competitive career was already over. I'm honestly not much of a competitive figure skating fan as an exhibition fan, I follow the major competitions but it's really rare that a competition program gets me, too many restrictions that stunt the expressive power of skaters. But the best of both is someone that can deliver a solid competitive program and then break all the rules and just enchant during the gala, and he had thankfully the time to prove he can skate a winning judge-approved program before he started to be the rule-breaker we love ;)

And as you can imagine from what I just wrote, I wouldn't care if he did a 4Lz in competition, I'd rather have a beautiful double over a disrupting quad (and less risk of injuries too...)

p.s.: thank you for the interview! Very interesting and brave of him to speak so openly about those problems, even if I think they are less gender related than he says. Even in his competitive time I could perceive more than a few guys with worrying relationship with food. And with girls starting doing quads at 13... I can imagine the chances of injuries is rising steeply for them too... :sad21:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Hello to you! :palmf: You are absolutely right, of course, I meant 2016... CaOI 2016 opening, the "Move your body" number... that one :love:
I'm a relatively new fan as I discovered him after his competitive career was already over. I'm honestly not much of a competitive figure skating fan as an exhibition fan, I follow the major competitions but it's really rare that a competition program gets me, too many restrictions that stunt the expressive power of skaters. But the best of both is someone that can deliver a solid competitive program and then break all the rules and just enchant during the gala, and he had thankfully the time to prove he can skate a winning judge-approved program before he started to be the rule-breaker we love ;)

Several other fans have discovered him after his competitive career was already over and I think in a way that's better. He really did bend and break all the rules with his latest exhibitions split in 3 pieces, jumps being placed in meaningful parts of the programs and so on. My favorite is the Impromptu EX from 2015 but I am eagerly looking forward to seeing him again with a new program in a few weeks!

tammienorrie

Spectator
I agree with you on The Inheritor, it was superlative even in the instances where he didn't skate it clean. All the details were so well thought: the lights, the costume, everything was perfect. But his exibitions are all beautiful, I can't really tell one is in absolute my favourite. Maybe the least convincing for me is the Ave Maria, mainly because I don't think the costume choice was a good match for the music (or for him, either :noshake:).

p.s.: only about 3 weeks before we see what he worked on this year :cheer:

tammienorrie

Spectator
Just saw the program :luv17: . I loved the first part with the music volume low and the sound of the skates so clear while he was skating figures, it has a very modern dance feel. Overall the program has a feeling of joyful rawness, almost overhentusiastic in places where he looked like he didn't have the size of the rink (I don't really think that's the case, with the fact that he prepares the program to be skated only on a handful of venues and he's always been very particular with all his self coreographed programs). It was an unexpected surprise but completely in line with the story he had in mind. It looked like he was genuinely having fun skating it, I surely had fun watching.