Ice Dance FD - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance FD - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

wallylutz

Medalist
On the other hand, the ISU knows who the judges are, even if we don't. If it is really true that a particular judge is picking on Virtue and Moir over and over, it seems like David Dore could raise some sand about it.

Your understating is incorrect. The judges' identity will only be revealed during a review process and even then, only on a need to know basis. For example, Cinquanta has no more idea who are the judges behind the marks at GPF given to C/L than you do. He cannot know and will not know. This is called information firewall, with good reason. Unless a judge has been "reviewed" and even then, only the people reviewing would know. After the review, there is a report filed but if there is nothing wrong or if the explanations have been satisfactory, no further action is taken.

For the sake of argument however, let's say David Dore somehow know who continuously low ball V/M because he is telepathic, if the judges' action are not reviewable as per the criteria you already stated, there is nothing he can do about it. Understand some suspicions are simply not actionable. And if it really were an American judge who were doing it, then reprimand this person through Dore's influences would set a chilling precedent. Not only that's undue influences, it also raises serious question about the power play within ISU and makes you wonder what this sort of witch hunt will target next time. In any event, the United States has a lot more than just one Ice Dance qualified judge. You remove this person, the USFS will easily find another who is just as amenable to their instructions. So the whole idea of Dore going after a suspicious judge from a major Fed is pointless, completely.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That isn't a criticism. D/W skate beautifully, they truly do. But they have a style and the style looks how I have described it. And when you say V/M and sappy romance in the same sentence; THAT I don't get. At all. To put it bluntly, D/W represent the "G" rated Disney school of ice dancing and V/M represent the "PG" rated MGM school of ice dancing. (MGM was famous for their musicals and dance films). Of course, this is my opinion.

I am a big fan of both teams, but no matter how beautifully Voir skates that program it is tapioca pudding--bland, bland, bland. And yes, it does smack of sappy romance. What I find interesting is that their SD is also romantic, but it doesn't come across as sappy because there's a sassy, playful quality to it that leeches out the goo. But the FD is oooooooooooooey gooey. If Voir's Mahler program wasn't so ruthlessly memorable, they might be able to get away with it, but the fact is the program comes across as a retread (hmmm, I typed retreat accidentally, but maybe that is the right word--it is certainly IS a retreat from the far more interesting Carmen and Latin programs).

YMMV of course. It's all opinions when you get down to it.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I am a big fan of both teams, but no matter how beautifully Voir skates that program it is tapioca pudding--bland, bland, bland. And yes, it does smack of sappy romance. What I find interesting is that their SD is also romantic, but it doesn't come across as sappy because there's a sassy, playful quality to it that leeches out the goo. But the FD is oooooooooooooey gooey. If Voir's Mahler program wasn't so ruthlessly memorable, they might be able to get away with it, but the fact is the program comes across as a retread (hmmm, I typed retreat accidentally, but maybe that is the right word--it is certainly IS a retreat from the far more interesting Carmen and Latin programs).

YMMV of course. It's all opinions when you get down to it.

I too admire both teams and how different they are. LOL at your comment on Voir's FD. What you see as ooey gooey I see as gorgeous, pure dance skated to less known compositions. As a huge ballet fan, I see the incredible small, incredibly difficult movements, edges, controlled body positions that make up the program -- made to look easy, as dance should. While also admiring D/W's program, I sometimes see awkward body positions & leg angles, clutching and grabbing & lack of expression. Each to his / her own I guess.:biggrin:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
What I see is a great load of insults disguised as polite 'opinion' thrown at both Marlie and Voir back and forth from their respective fans. 'Disney On Ice', 'Tapioca Pudding', 'sappy' and perhaps my favorite 'ooey gooey'! :rofl::popcorn:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
What I see is a great load of insults disguised as polite 'opinion' thrown at both Marlie and Voir back and forth from their respective fans. 'Disney On Ice', 'Tapioca Pudding', 'sappy' and perhaps my favorite 'ooey gooey'! :rofl::popcorn:

Dear, if you're going to quote me, then please quote me correctly: it's oooooooooooooey gooey.

And I stand by that opinion 117%.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I too admire both teams and how different they are. LOL at your comment on Voir's FD. What you see as ooey gooey I see as gorgeous, pure dance skated to less known compositions. As a huge ballet fan, I see the incredible small, incredibly difficult movements, edges, controlled body positions that make up the program -- made to look easy, as dance should. While also admiring D/W's program, I sometimes see awkward body positions & leg angles, clutching and grabbing & lack of expression. Each to his / her own I guess.:biggrin:

As far as I remember, this event is called Ice DANCING, NOT Ballet On Blades. I didn't know having a balletic style was in the rules. Fred Astaire was a great dancer. But then again, so was Gene Kelly. I think this bias toward the balletic style is frankly limiting. I'd love to see TPTB open up to other styles in a REAL way. Well a boy can dream...