Pairs SP - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP - 2014 Russian Championships

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Actually, Stolbova-Klimov don't look like a Russian pair. They look like a Canadian/US pair (and that's not in a good sense). Not trying to be offensive, but little touches, like posture, stretching legs when they are supposed to be stretched, pointing toes etc would make such a difference!

I agree that Bazarova's jumps are bad, but side by side jumps are only 2 elements out of 12 in the FS and only 1 element out of 7 in the SP. And their other elements are usually pretty reliable and beautiful to watch.

looking like a US/Canadian Pair ? I dont think so, most have bad posture and lift positions

Stolbova-Klimov improved a lot on their lifts, look at her extension and positions
of course she is not as naturally flexible as Vera but she is landing most of her jumps and they are huge
I can also say the same for Tarasova/Morosov, not surprised they score high when they are clean

Bazarova really needs to work on her jumps

hanca

Record Breaker
looking like a US/Canadian Pair ? I dont think so, most have bad posture and lift positions

Stolbova-Klimov improved a lot on their lifts, look at her extension and positions
of course she is not as naturally flexible as Vera but she is landing most of her jumps and they are huge
I can also say the same for Tarasova/Morosov, not surprised they score high when they are clean

Bazarova really needs to work on her jumps

Bazarova definitely needs to improve jumps, but Stolbova needs to have the word ballet explained. (and not only explained, but put it in practice.) They may have improved slightly but there is still a long way to go! At the moment I will rather watch Bazarova mess up 2 elements in her FS but the rest being very watchable, rather than my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. Bazarova seems unable to hit a bad position. she knows her body and knows how to use it to look elegant. Stolbova looks to me like a tank. In fact, watching S/K to me is sort of similar to watching Duhamel/Radford or Denney/Coughlin. No matter how technically great Duhamel-Radford are, I just can't enjoy them.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. (...) Stolbova looks to me like a tank.

Ouch. Instead of asking if you feel better now, I'll just say that I strongly disagree.

Merry Christmas to everybody!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Bazarova definitely needs to improve jumps, but Stolbova needs to have the word ballet explained. (and not only explained, but put it in practice.) They may have improved slightly but there is still a long way to go! At the moment I will rather watch Bazarova mess up 2 elements in her FS but the rest being very watchable, rather than my aesthetic feelings hurt from the whole program of Stolbova/Klimov. Bazarova seems unable to hit a bad position. she knows her body and knows how to use it to look elegant. Stolbova looks to me like a tank. In fact, watching S/K to me is sort of similar to watching Duhamel/Radford or Denney/Coughlin. No matter how technically great Duhamel-Radford are, I just can't enjoy them.

are you serious ? :unsure:
Ksenia Stolbova isn't that bad, its too much comparing her to Duhamel

Duhamel is a deplorable skater with her horrendous form and atrocious lift positions

hanca

Record Breaker
are you serious ? :unsure:
Ksenia Stolbova isn't that bad, its too much comparing her to Duhamel

Duhamel is a deplorable skater with her horrendous form and atrocious lift positions

Yes, I am serious. Stolbova has pretty much the same style as Duhamel or Denney. Untidy, sloppy. That's why I wrote that Stolbova/Klimov don't look to me like a Russian pair but more like a Canadian or US pair. Could that be the reason why are S/K so liked in the USA and Canada?

I am not sure if I would call Duhamel deplorable. Just not very aesthetically pleasing.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Congrats to s/k the most intresting pair in the world. they will need to perform perfectly or close to that because b/l could make one or two small mistakes and the judges would still give them the title.

Frenchie

Medalist
Congrats to s/k the most intresting pair in the world. they will need to perform perfectly or close to that because b/l could make one or two small mistakes and the judges would still give them the title.

Sorry Vera Bazarova, but I'll have to dig into this "small" again!
If she messes up her 3T because it is
- underrotated
- only a few cm high
- landed on 2 feet
- has no controlled landing
- stepout would be a very gentle description for the above
- has different timing than her partner
- is jumped very far away from her partner

the only reason one could be inclined to call it a "small mistake" is because of how small the jump is! ;) Zing!

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm curious - will any of the current junior pairs move up to senior next year? If so, which? That may shake up the pairs situation a bit also?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm curious - will any of the current junior pairs move up to senior next year? If so, which? That may shake up the pairs situation a bit also?

Some translations of Trankov's commentary from FSU member TAHbKA:

Trankov was talking about how it may not be a bad idea for V/Z to split next year and for her to stay in juniors a couple more years (with a different partner) due to their age difference (big age difference, he ages out of junior this year). Or they would have to turn senior with her not having a triple yet, coach says she can land 3s in practice. So switch to seniors or split, decision will need to made. He is fond of them being from his hometown and skating with his original coach. He doesn't think switching partners is bad as long as you find the right one! Mentioned that the split might not be counted; says for them the throw jump is the easiest element for Vygalova.

Trankov says that F/M are aiming for seniors and this is their transition year. They didn't add many senior elements except the 3twist even though they could have, this being just a dress rehearsal for them, they are here for fun. Lina is taller, going through puberty so her jumps are all over the place. They are learning new elements, senior levels, 3 different jumps, but they are young and have time to develop (on the JGP)!

On D/D, Trankov thinks they are serious contenders, can do 2 different triples and have good throws so they may move up. Only the lift being a "junior" element. He could tell their program was a junior modification into a senior program but the elements were good.

T/M, Trankov says it was very hard for them just coming back from Italy last week and to change their programs from junior to senior. Told Morozov that they would challenge for bronze here, said Morozov wouldn't believe him :laugh: Their entire program was "senior" with a higher level lift than D/D. If T/M can stay 3rd, they will be front runners for the host pick at Rostelecom cup and surely move up to seniors (my opinion).

A/M are definitely seniors but here is what Trankov said.....she is so light, their 3twist is so easy for him, like throwing a feather they had by far the best 3twist here. They are dealing with showing a relationship between a man and a women due to her age but they are managing. Her skating lacks amplitude/energy for him. There's nothing against that in the marks it's just his opinion. All their elements were done in the center of the rink, not much in the way of transitions but complements Komolov, their choreographer. Lift was easy/beautiful.

Other random stuff Trankov said:

#1 and 2 will go to Euros, 3rd spot is up to the federation (will be given to v/t). There are 3 leading pairs (v/t, s/k, b/l) and much will not be changed. It would be wrong for the federation to throw A/M (the 4th pair) into senior comps when she has no experience. Someone asked if he forgot about K/S...........oops :laugh:

on g/e: when they just started skating together they looked very impressive, both are very tall and good looking. 3twist catch was not good, it will be counted though. 3S she fell (just like during the warm up). A mistake on a death spiral that can be penalized, the position was not held. An interesting lift, mentions it's a good one - clockwise revolutions.

on s/k: she is under the weather but he believes in her, she is a fighter! compliments them on learning the 3twist. they are ready to fight for medals at euros and if given the chance worlds. quality of their skating is great, death spiral will be a level 3 but with good goe. good steps. they could be higher in their 2nd GP event, they fell on nothing becoming 4th overall. They were competing quite equally with the finalists (the Canadians), they have been consistent and they are gaining the experience. their SP in Italy was awesome, here they just had to be clean taking their starting number and having all the rival skating after them. they used to not talk to each other but now they are holding hands, working as a team.

talked about the Mozer team and how it's good to have a lot of opinions, being helped by so many people, it's the right approach.

talked about how pairs chooses sbs jumps. most go with whats consistent, with v/t its whats looks the best in their programs since they can do 3s and 3t. says its okay for pairs to do toes and sals (in relation to the canadians and not landing their lutzes this year), the importance is on how parallel the jumps are, how close they are to each other, though the male skater needs a deeper entrance. He says the Canadians are not that great in the lifts and split twists, so perhaps the attempts for the 3lz is justified.

on b/l: bazarova lands her jumps in practice most of the time, still works with Kudriavtsev. they changed their style, the training was hard (didn't train too much) due to injury to Vera. but Mozer knows how to get them all in competitive shape for the main competitions. there's bandage on Yuri's hand, not due to injury, but from the stress of the lift (holding a position in an uncomfortable situation for too long). for Trankov, his arm hurts when he throws Tatiana very high for their split twist, and bandages gives his hands more support. Vera triple was underrotated and will not be counted as a triple (will be a double with a mistake); great for not falling, the takeoff was really bad. Yuri used to be a grumpy guy on the ice, now he is more revived, and they had changed so much, they now have facial expressions. Vera was always the fragile beautiful partner, but now they understand what they do on the ice and they like it. They control their skating, they are no longer loosing the levels for no reason, they count their revolutions and everything is very exact. split twist and lift was harder than s/k. level 4 on death spiral, spins and lift should make up points lost on the solo jump. At the end he was not sure it the mistake on the 3t would be counted as a double or an ur triple.

Frenchie

Medalist
Yes! Thank you so much for the translation, Dobrinfan!
I was really curious what he was saying, but all I could point out was "da" and "niet"! ;)

hanca

Record Breaker
I am a bit confused how come that Zakroev is aging out of juniors. Was the age for pair males decreased from next season?

Zakroev's DOB is 31.12.1993. He is a year younger than Andrei Deputat (DOB 20.12.1992) and Vladimir Morozov (DOB 01.11.1992). Considering that Deputat and Morozov were age eligible for junior pairs this season, I don't understand why Zakroev wouldn't be age eligible for juniors next season. Unless the rules re: age eligibility for juniors are changing from next season.

hanca

Record Breaker

As far as I am aware, Davankova-Deputat, Tarasova-Morozov and Gainedtinova-Bich will age out of juniors. According to Trankov also Vigalova-Zakroev, but I don't think so (if I have got his DOB correct and as long as they haven't changed the rules for eligibility from next season).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am a bit confused how come that Zakroev is aging out of juniors. Was the age for pair males decreased from next season?

Zakroev's DOB is 31.12.1993. He is a year younger than Andrei Deputat (DOB 20.12.1992) and Vladimir Morozov (DOB 01.11.1992). Considering that Deputat and Morozov were age eligible for junior pairs this season, I don't understand why Zakroev wouldn't be age eligible for juniors next season. Unless the rules re: age eligibility for juniors are changing from next season.

yes, the aging out will be implemented strating next season
age limit has been decreased in Ice Dance and Pairs men

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

age limit was decreased :disapp:

hanca

Record Breaker
But then if Zakroev is aging out with DOB 31.12.1993, then Miroshkin is also aging out with DOB 22.05.1994. So that would mean that all five Russian junior pairs that qualified to JGPF will have to move to seniors!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i don't know, maybe cause i don't care (not being rude or anything :)). you can probably do a search for it on FSU or here and find your answer. it could be he meant next year he will age out and they need to decide to stay together. he could have misspoken but i think his point still stands.

hanca

Record Breaker
i don't know, maybe cause i don't care (not being rude or anything :)). you can probably do a search for it on FSU or here and find your answer. it could be he meant next year he will age out and they need to decide to stay together. he could have misspoken but i think his point still stands.

Oh, yes, if they are changing the rules, I am sure Trankov is right and Zakroev will be out of Juniors. I was just wondering who will be left from 'the good' juniors then because it seems that all five pairs is moving up. It will be a bit overcrowded in seniors. And if Volosozhar-Trankov don't retire, it will be soon very cut throat environment to get any international assignment. Those five current juniors will need a few years to get to the top, but they are doing pretty well and a year or two could do it for some of them.