Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men FS - 2014 Russian Championships

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I find it appalling to watch Plushenko skate no matter what his resume looks like. He has no connection with the music until step seq, and also no sophisticated interpretation -running on your skates and hip stroking doesn't do it. Also he does nothing but skate cross overs to the next jump and no wonder he's considered consistent cause it's so very much easier to jump without hard transitions. His age doesn't matter. He's the same as anyone wether 17 or 30, one doesn't get points for age. If his age had brought him wisdom he would have retired a long time ago. BUT i guess he's too arrogant to see that he has limitations. If he were humble etc he would have tried to adjust to the current skating system and learn from others but no. If I weren't so disgusted by his arrogancy (starting from 2010 olympics and the latest letting some one else get his spot) i would feel sorry for him. I get that Chan has his flaws (and I'm not the biggest fan of his) but he's light-years ahead of mr P.

Kovtun has alot to work on but he's cute and has potential. Also his sp is very good and he can jump when he's on. At least he tries to interpret the music.

This is the truth! I totally agree.

mielikki

Rinkside
This ice rink is the Sochi Olympics rink?
It is just me that rink size looks somewhat small?

Yes, it's Iceberg. I remember Liza saying the lighting is so bright there that it makes it hard to judge distances at the rink. Maybe that's why.

Icey

Record Breaker
What a sad ending, but one brought on by an unrealistic evaluation of his current abilities and physical limitations. Those who cared about him should have discouraged this return.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What a sad ending, but one brought on by an unrealistic evaluation of his current abilities and physical limitations. Those who cared about him should have discouraged this return.

I disagree... His SP was clean with excellent jumps and considering what he's been through, 2nd ain't bad.

It's shameful the PCS scores but it wouldn't have really made a difference in the standings. Voronov has just as much choreography as him (as in not much) so I was fine with the standings (though Voronov should have beaten Plu in the LP).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

IF this was the ending I agree it was sad. To end with a weired free skate like this must be embarrising for a skater like Plushenko. I don't think he is proud to have this as his last skate in a competition.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Sure it was only Volvo Cup but Volvo cup had all jumps done and landed except flip so even if everyone had discouraged him and begged him not to do it Volvo cup showed that was wrong but this nationals performance shows they would've been right and now hes retired from competitions entirely except for shows but "a bridge too far" if you get the reference.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sure it was only Volvo Cup but Volvo cup had all jumps done and landed except flip so even if everyone had discouraged him and begged him not to do it Volvo cup showed that was wrong but this nationals performance shows they would've been right and now hes retired from competitions entirely except for shows but "a bridge too far" if you get the reference.

Volvo Cup proved he can land the jumps in the FS. It didn't prove that he could do a freeskate with difficult choreography (not that there was at Russian Nats), spins AND the jumps, which clearly he was unable to produce at Nationals.

And more than the jumps I'm just so disappointed in Plushenko's choreography.. didn't he work with Buttle supposedly?! Like, he had come light years ahead of past performances in his Euros 2012 FS and I was really excited to see if he could continue that. But no, he regressed back to jumpfests as in the past. And his FS could not have made it any more evident that when he doesn't do the jumps, his programs become average at best... which makes the 95 PCS probably the most ridiculously inflated and unmerited score ever given to a skater.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Volvo Cup proved he can land the jumps in the FS. It didn't prove that he could do a freeskate with difficult choreography spins AND the jumps, which clearly he was unable to produce at Nationals.

He did spins in Volvo free skate? What are you even saying? I can look at the Volvo free skate and see the spins he always does. I can also his version of choreo! I don't get this comment! It says Plushenko didnt spin or do his choreo in Volvo. No the issue is in RUssian nationals SP he did quad triple and then tried two quads in the FS and that was disastrous mistake! Now his career is over.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He did spins in Volvo free skate? What are you even saying? I can look at the Volvo free skate and see the spins he always does. I can also his version of choreo! I don't get this comment! It says Plushenko did spin or do his choreo in Volvo. No the issue is in RUssian nationals SP he did quad triple and then tried two quads in the FS and that was disastrous mistake! Now his career is over.

Volvo Cup he had less levels on his spins.

As for the quads being failures, clearly he was capable of them having done one in the SP... Same with the 3A in the SP but failing the first 2 attempts in the FS. Just not his day.

LRK

Record Breaker
Volvo Cup he had less levels on his spins.

As for the quads being failures, clearly he was capable of them having done one in the SP... Same with the 3A in the SP but failing the first 2 attempts in the FS. Just not his day.

Not "only" in the SP - also in practice:

"I don’t really know what went wrong”, Plushenko said. “I didn’t make a single mistake on the quad in practice, I did great triple Axels, I did all elements."

So he's clearly still capable of quads.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't see why Plushenko thinks his performance would earn him a place in the team event even. That LP would have buried him and potentially deny Team Russia the gold. He certainly wouldn't get 95 points of PCS.

Gotta love the judge who gave him 10 for Choreography. :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
He did one quad in Lp too. In sp his quad triple was the best I ve seen for a very long time. This kind of Lp Plushenko has repeated it like two more times in his whole carreer, everyone is entitled to such a bad skate once in the decade, I can name a few top skaters with disastrous skates, too bad he did it in the most important competition and when it counted the most!
Unlike other skaters though he doesnt have much time to make up for this Lp unfortunately, I m baffled he is skipping Euros, since clearly Head of Russia said the only ones who are guaranted an Olumpic spot so far are V/T and B/S and none else.
On the other hand he has gone as far as he could so I dont expect anything.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't believe he's just skipping euros. I think because nobody really annouces retirement anymore that's retirement.

Kovtun could pick up more points if he upgraded his last two jumps.

At the moment he's doing 3salchow/2toe and 2axel. He could upgrade those to 3flip/2toe and 3loop giving him 3.3 more points.

I guess he's keeping it simpler for stamina/consistency reasons (I mean he's going for three quads and two 3axels).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kovtun could pick up more points if he upgraded his last two jumps.

At the moment he's doing 3salchow/2toe and 2axel. He could upgrade those to 3flip/2toe and 3loop giving him 3.3 more points.

I guess he's keeping it simpler for stamina/consistency reasons (I mean he's going for three quads and two 3axels).

Yeah it could be a comfort level thing like how Javier does a solo 3S instead of a triple lutz or flip or axel.