Russian violence-are Games safe? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian violence-are Games safe?

wallylutz

Medalist
Just because I own guns doesn't mean I agree with people misusing them. Lumping responsible gun owners in with the evil people that would no doubt do it no matter what the rules, though, is wrong.

I hope you own guns because of polar bears near you. Other than that, I can't think of a reason - any reason - people feel the need to own guns. The sad truth is many of the tragedies and accidents involving guns came from those which are obtained legally. Just a few days ago, a young 4 year old was shot dead by another 4 year old accidentally. If the guns were not so abundant, many of these accidents wouldn't have happened.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually if more people were trained properly on how to use and own them there'd be fewer accidents. children get ahold of guns because the guns are not properly stored.

Polar Bears are far more North than I am - but I can think of a lot of reasons to own a gun besides polar bear protection.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hate guns personally, but understand the're just part of American culture. Though I'm pretty sure that the number of suicides would decrease significantly with tighter gun control (homicides - not so certain)

scooter

Rinkside
actually if more people were trained properly on how to use and own them there'd be fewer accidents. children get ahold of guns because the guns are not properly stored.
Mrs Lanza legally bought those guns and taught her child how to use them. She took him to target practice all the time. And use them he did with the deadly aim he had practiced. First on his mother then on 25 others mostly tiny children. Until people cant have guns in the house the wrong people will always get hold of them. It's happened too many times from Columbine and before to Newtown and after. You never hear about some lunatic commiting a mass killing by bow and arrow or bow staff, for example.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mmm... yeah just like how drugs that aren't legal have no way of getting into homes.

Gun violence will always exist. Whether I have a gun in my home or not, someone will misuse a gun.

ETA - but, you and I are not going to change the other's view on the matter. we will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

scooter

Rinkside
Mmm... yeah just like how drugs that aren't legal have no way of getting into homes.

Gun violence will always exist. Whether I have a gun in my home or not, someone will misuse a gun.

ETA - but, you and I are not going to change the other's view on the matter. we will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Prescription drugs that are in the house legally have a way of being misused by teenagers if they are left laying around.

Look, I think if you live in a place where there are Grizzly bears/mountain lions/bull hippos prowling about, then it probably makes sense to have a rifle in the house in case one decides to go thru your garbage in the kitchen. I think if, for example, one is a diamond dealer, and therefore at very high risk of being robbed/killed, then its reasonable to have a gun when transporting stones. BUT, when there are people being shot for texting in a movie theater, or walking with skittles while african american, then we need fewer guns out there. That guy who shot the person texting this week was a retired cop. Certainly properly trained in how to handle the fire arm. But the texting guy is dead. More people are killed by guns in the US than the rest of the world combined. Doesnt that say we are doing something wrong that the rest of the world has figured out? In England, for example...even the Royal Family, notoriously keen hunters, are not allowed to keep their fire arms in the house between hunts. They are kept locked up in a gun club off premises. It takes the whole impulsive, crime of the moment factor away if you cant get at the gun in the heat of the moment.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't know that even suicides would dip that much.
I believe they would. People often commit suicide on impulse; given more time to organize it, a huge percentage thinks better of it. And yes, there are certainly other ways to end one's life, but other means are way more likely to fail then using a gun. Oh, and most people who survive a suicide attempt do not retry.

katia

On the Ice
Prescription drugs that are in the house legally have a way of being misused by teenagers if they are left laying around.

More people are killed by guns in the US than the rest of the world combined. Doesnt that say we are doing something wrong that the rest of the world has figured out? In England, for example...even the Royal Family, notoriously keen hunters, are not allowed to keep their fire arms in the house between hunts. They are kept locked up in a gun club off premises. It takes the whole impulsive, crime of the moment factor away if you cant get at the gun in the heat of the moment.
If I were you I would be more worried about intentional homicide rates. And it is quite different picture.
Per 100,000 people USA has 4.7 intentional homicides. In Europe Moldova has 7.5, Finland 2.2, Latvia has 3.1, Lithuania has 6.6, Ukraine has 5.2, Estonia 5.2, Russia 10.2. Moreover statistics shows that crime rates in Europe (in Western Europe specifically) are rising. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country)

Coming back to guns, CDC data show there were 11,078 homicides committed with guns in 2010 — or about 30 per day. The CDC data also show gun homicides have declined each year since 2007, falling from 12,791 in 2006 to 11,078 in 2010, even as the nation’s population grows. In fact, the homicide rate in 2010 (3.6 per 100,000 people) was the lowest since at least 1981 — which is as far back as the CDC’s online database goes.

As for Olimpics one just need to be careful. If some people will not go because of the threats from Muslim terrorist organisations then terrorists achieved their aims. Because the aim of terrorist organisations is to spread terror, to achieve their aims by killing and by terrorizing the population, by unlawfully making people do what they normally would not do. IMHO Olimpics will be safe and I do not understand why some people in USA are panicking.

gmyers

Record Breaker
If I were you I would be more worried about intentional homicide rates. And it is quite different picture.
Per 100,000 people USA has 4.7 intentional homicides. In Europe Moldova has 7.5, Finland 2.2, Latvia has 3.1, Lithuania has 6.6, Ukraine has 5.2, Estonia 5.2, Russia 10.2. Moreover statistics shows that crime rates in Europe (in Western Europe specifically) are rising. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country)

Coming back to guns, CDC data show there were 11,078 homicides committed with guns in 2010 — or about 30 per day. The CDC data also show gun homicides have declined each year since 2007, falling from 12,791 in 2006 to 11,078 in 2010, even as the nation’s population grows. In fact, the homicide rate in 2010 (3.6 per 100,000 people) was the lowest since at least 1981 — which is as far back as the CDC’s online database goes.

As for Olimpics one just need to be careful. If some people will not go because of the threats from Muslim terrorist organisations then terrorists achieved their aims. Because the aim of terrorist organisations is to spread terror, to achieve their aims by killing and by terrorizing the population, by unlawfully making people do what they normally would not do. IMHO Olimpics will be safe and I do not understand why some people in USA are panicking.

There is the feeling in the us by many and its very widespread that the terrorists are right and justified and violence against Putin and Russia is right.

katia

On the Ice
There is the feeling in the us by many and its very widespread that the terrorists are right and justified and violence against Putin and Russia is right.
If there is such feeling in US then I am absolutely shocked. You people thought that 9/11 was terryfing event, that it wasn't justified, that it was not right and now you think that the same kind of violence that was done against your own people is justified against others? That others can be terrorized but you can not be? You only saw one such major terrorist act, but think that you know it all?
You are too safe and even with the internet many of you believe rubish. It was your problem before, during communist era when many of you supported communism, when your scientists gave nuclear bomb to Stalin's Russia, when you allowed Eastern Europe to fall under communist rule.
Today you have the same problem.
Lenin had good expression for people such as these: "useful idiots."
I am not also shocked but I also am angry.
One may hate Putin, one may not like Russia or Russian policy regarding some Asian republics, but if one think that killing Russians (or anybody else) under black flag of Jihad is OK than one is more than a useful idiot. And that's what supporting terrorists always mean, people died, people got hurt.
Remember 9/11?
People died.
. I think that Americans and (unfortunately) Canadians are too safe. To safe to understand what the threat of terrorists and of people who support terrorists means. Too safe to even think outside the box, majority of Americans (and Canadians) simply can not do that.
And frankly, if some of you think like that then it is no wonder that Americans are hated in so many countries, because, let's face it, these Americans who think "terrorists are right and justified and violence ....is right" support their own enemies. And how can you not hate people who are so stupid?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
gmeyers, do you have any citations? Certainly, I have not heard any wide spread opinion that Russia deserves terrorist bombings here? No innocent people ever deserve to be killed, imo.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/many-americans-are-staying-away-from-sochi-olympics/

"Travel agents are seeing a steep decline in bookings over past Olympics. One agent told CBS News she has fewer than 50 clients going to Sochi. In comparison, she booked 250 for the Vancouver Winter Olympics and 350 for Beijing.
Another sign of disinterest: Tickets to events are still available. Normally, they sell out months ahead of time."

This will be costly for Russia.

gmyers

Record Breaker
gmeyers, do you have any citations? Certainly, I have not heard any wide spread opinion that Russia deserves terrorist bombings here? No innocent people ever deserve to be killed, imo.

I don't like this run away tone of so many! Like Maine senator angus kings comments! Where's the criticism of terror threats on the Olympics? No none of that from angus king! Just run away!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m worried because I think they might expect a large attack and Sochi is already very well secured on that with the so called rings of steel, so I m more afraid of a singular person messing the Games, and I dont know if they are prepared for that or if they can identify someone this way. I ll go nevertheless and cant wait for it :)

Was security checks etc too much in Vancouver? How much time did it get to get on your seats in arena from check points? Cause I m thinking to start going from morning time :laugh:

katia

On the Ice
By the way, the views on Russia in USA are not all that gloomy, Katia. I also know for fact that a lot, I mean a lot, of people in US respect Putin more than they respect their own president Obama.:biggrin:
It's OK. I understand that some people have negative view on Russians or on Russian government (which is quite corrupt) but what I hate is for someone to condone (or support) terrorists, just because someone hates (or disagrees with the policy of)this or that government.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I m worried because I think they might expect a large attack and Sochi is already very well secured on that with the so called rings of steel, so I m more afraid of a singular person messing the Games, and I dont know if they are prepared for that or if they can identify someone this way. I ll go nevertheless and cant wait for it :)

Was security checks etc too much in Vancouver? How much time did it get to get on your seats in arena from check points? Cause I m thinking to start going from morning time :laugh:

Seniorita, I am curious where you live and if you always go to winter games? Have you met Plushenko? What is he like to fans?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes I ve met him in several occasions and I can say he is very polite and friendly, warmer than I would imagine but my best impression was after Euros 2013 sp that he was almost dead but nevertheless bothered to say thank you and talk for a good amount of time and even tried to be funny. From my personal experience he is nothing like his intimidating persona on ice, but as with every other skater they should respect his competing/training time and his privacy. I ve seen fans being pushy and passing the limits there and then he is rather serious and formal.
No it is the first time I ll go to Winter Olys, but I have been to Summer Olympics before.

I ll certainly want to report everything once I figure out if I will have internet there at all! My seats are far far away from the ice though..