Adam Rippon | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Perhaps Adam is more a Johnny Weir-type, as opposed to a Jeremy Abbott-type. But in his LP at least, I'd say he's American-artistic. The SP certainly was different; I wouldn't call that one American-artistic.

The way I see it, Russian-artistic is bombast, high drama, with emphasis on reaching the audience (like an epic poem), while American-artistic is more inward, "you are seeing my inner world" (like modern literary fiction). The Japanese men seem to mix both. Canadian men are all over the place (Browning, Stojko, Chan?). I don't feel like any country currently does balletic/classical in men's, though Russia used to.

Btw, I just love your term "lovelorn sadsack," even though I've currently fallen for Joshua, one of said sadsacks. :laugh:

Perhaps Adam, like Johnny, is a mix of American and Russian influence? I think Johnny has said in the past that Adam is one of the skaters he sees himself in now.

I'm glad someone appreciates "lovelorn sadsacks." :laugh: But I will try to use it sparingly so it doesn't become a tired catchphrase. It would help if the boys would pick some different programs, though. ;) I do think Josh is a lovely skater, but I hope he will try something slightly more upbeat soon.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh guys! I can't believe! I love this skate!! He had fire, speed he was determined! If he can skate like this he can be on the WCh podium!!! Go Adam!!!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A big Congratulations to Adam for winning the Silver medal and coming in first in the FS! His beautiful interpretation
of the music, his execution of the difficult technical aspects of the program was spot on (to bad about the downgrade on the 4L)
and his determination and commitment to the program took by breath away. Fabulous!

LRK

Record Breaker
I absolutely agree!

The funny thing is... That program hasn't "done" much for me when he skated it earlier this season, but... skated like this? Wow! (I just rewatched it.:))

And just look at how... solid he looks. It doesn't at all feel like a "once in a blue moon" fluke program - at all. I mean, his usual nemesis - the 3As. I can't remember a time when those didn't cause him trouble - not since I've watched him at any rate. Was there any hesitation on those? Not that I could see at least.

I remember last autumn when I was reading comments about his Skate America performances - before having seen them myself - and people were talking about how improved he was and so on. I remember feeling quite dubious, in a "I wonder about that... " way. And then I saw it for myself and had to agree - it was like a new person out there. And that development has now come to full fruition. It's so lovely to see.:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have just rewatched Adam'FS. So emotional and powerful. :cry: such a long time for him. Please stay strong at 4CC and Worlds.

LRK

Record Breaker
I've just come to realise why he had such a bad GP season - of course! How could it have been in any other way - It was the Shorn Locks, people! Keep all and any scissor-wielding Designing Delilahs away from those curls - and we will be fine!

TMC

Record Breaker
I was just absolutely mesmerised by Adams free...

When I saw it live at Finlandia, where he was also very succesful with it, I adored it. It stirred something in my cynical heart that I didn't know existed. It touched me on an emotional level in a way that has never happened before.

This time on my laptop - it was even better, and it brought back all those feelings. I can only imagine what it must have been like to those who saw it live.

Congratulations to Adam on a record-breaking free skate!

This Nationals has for me given two performances that I will cherish forever: Ashley and Adam (and their friendship makes it even more special).

I've been looking for his SP online but they seem to be all muted :(

LRK

Record Breaker
I was just absolutely mesmerised by Adams free...

When I saw it live at Finlandia, where he was also very succesful with it, I adored it. It stirred something in my cynical heart that I didn't know existed. It touched me on an emotional level in a way that has never happened before.

This time on my laptop - it was even better, and it brought back all those feelings. I can only imagine what it must have been like to those who saw it live.

Congratulations to Adam on a record-breaking free skate!

This Nationals has for me given two performances that I will cherish forever: Ashley and Adam (and their friendship makes it even more special).

I've been looking for his SP online but they seem to be all muted :(

Yes they are! (sulks & pouts)

But luckily we have Sabinfire's excellent vids here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-and-Results&p=1076371&viewfull=1#post1076371

Here's the one with Adam (who skates first):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DGgeMh5UEBVGJ6emh0dWxwRjQ/view?usp=sharing

Fer

On the Ice
Loved his performance in the Nationals!
I begin to notice him only in TEB last year. After that I asked my friends how many American male skaters could go to Shanghai this year and really hoped he could make it even it seemed very hard at that time. But he did it with such a performance and with guts to put 2 quad Lutz in his programs!

I watched his programs of recent years last night and found his choice of music is also my type. I got to know he also choreographed for some skaters which is amazing. I definitely want to see more of him in the future.

BTW when I noticed him in TEB I found that I have seen him in person in 2012 already and I remembered I was wondering who that cute guy was with the curly hair. Though at that time I was not a big fan of figure skating yet.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Perhaps Adam, like Johnny, is a mix of American and Russian influence? I think Johnny has said in the past that Adam is one of the skaters he sees himself in now.

I'm glad someone appreciates "lovelorn sadsacks." :laugh: But I will try to use it sparingly so it doesn't become a tired catchphrase. It would help if the boys would pick some different programs, though. ;) I do think Josh is a lovely skater, but I hope he will try something slightly more upbeat soon.
You've backed me into a corner here. See, I can't find fault in what you're saying (that Adam seems like the successor to Johnny, a hybrid of the two styles). However, according to my Grand Theory of National Artistry, that would mean Adam and Johnny skate... Japanese-artistic. ...Does that mean I have to scrap my theory? Nooooooo!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Thank you for the vid! Well, that was... not a great skate, but a Grand Skate! Above all else, I loved the Attitude, the Command... Positively Plushyesque. (He said in the TSL interview that that was something he admired about Plushy.)
Now that you mention it, plushyesque ... :biggrin: that's it. I didn't notice it until the SP at Nationals.

I also like both his programs and the new hearcut! So fingers crossed for tomorrow, I really want him to nail that SP!

LRK

Record Breaker
This was linked by golden411 in the Jason Brown fan fest thread:

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/2015-four-continents-championships-4ccseoul/

I just love Adam's quote:

"Adam Rippon (on quad Lutz): Each day that I’m here, I’m more comfortable. I’m feeling confident that with the quad Lutz, no matter how it goes, I know I can be clean in my programs otherwise. I’ll focus on the Lutz and then I’ll focus on executing the rest of the programs. But heck yeah, I’m doing the quad Lutz."

I just love the Attitude - I love that he is going for the quad lutz - but even more so I love the way he is doing it. Maybe he has just decided to stop worrying about it - and just go out there and do his best - come high tide or hell fire. I hope he keeps this up - because it is truly... marvellous. And liberating. Go Adam.:)

@psusanne - Yes, I was especially reminded of what Simon Reed said about Plushy once (just after he'd fallen at that) - "A look of defiance." Adam had that look - it just sent shivers of pure thrill down my spine.:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Adam's my favorite man at 4CC by a mile, so I really hope he will keep that momentum going and get a medal...I'll settle for any color! Channel your inner Plushy, Adam, use the force!

LRK

Record Breaker
I just saw Adam's SP - Pity about the jumps; but I thought he still held the performance together all things considered. Obviously it was not Nationals level - but he did not let go of it. Come back strong in the free, Adam. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
OMG! What happened with Adam? I really believe he will be very good after the amazing performance at US Nationals.. Yes, I agree with LRK, come back strong in the free program!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Too bad, I feel for him. And yes - come back strong in the free programm! :cheer: